FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

MathMusic Jan 31, 19 9:03 am

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 30723574)
Are passengers flying international first or business class using AAdvantage awards considered "non-revenue" passengers for the purposes of eligibility to enter Admirals Clubs? It says that "non-revenue" passengers are not eligible for lounge access.

No, you get access when travelling on award tickets, as long as the paid ticket would have access. Non-revenue passengers in this case means someone travelling standby on an employee pass or buddy pass.

soulp Jan 31, 19 10:12 am

I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

JJeffrey Jan 31, 19 11:15 am

Originally Posted by soulp (Post 30723846)
I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

Welcome to FT. Yes, pretty much lesson #1 in Award Travel 101 is that the availability of flights using points/miles to book will differ greatly from the availability of flights you can book with regular paid fares. Generally speaking, airlines only release seats for awards if they think they will otherwise not be able to sell that seat as a regular paid fare. Take a look at the below thread to get started...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html

guv1976 Jan 31, 19 12:06 pm

MileSAAver awards -- which are all awards which include even one segment on a partner carrier -- are "capacity controlled." The costlier AAnytime awards -- which are only available on all-AA-metal itineraries -- are not.

If you are traveling to or from an airport not served by AA metal, MileSAAver awards are your only option if you want to redeem for just one award from origin to destination.

Mwenenzi Jan 31, 19 2:13 pm

If mid April equal Easter time that will be hard for award flights.
AA do not fly to Hamburg HAM or Berlin TXL, so you will be steered to BA via LHR
AA Saver awards on BA, if available, will have a high $ carrier surcharge. A saver award on an AA aircraft will not.
Try for an award to anywhere in Germany and then train to Hamburg & Berlin.

AA forum thread--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ess-seats.html

Sample routes:-->Great Circle Mapper

simmang Feb 1, 19 8:45 am

Question About Award Change

Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.

ShamRockSteady Feb 1, 19 9:10 am

Free Checked Bags With AA credit cards

I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!

JJeffrey Feb 1, 19 9:14 am

Originally Posted by simmang (Post 30727548)
Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.

Generally speaking, yes, if availability opens up on an earlier LAX-DFW-ZZZ option then you can call AA and switch (without affecting your existing NRT-LAX segment).

However, AA has implemented lots of married segment availability as of late which has made this type of change, which used to be easy, a real PITA. Now many agents are required to find availability on the entire route again (which of course won't exist in most instances) before being able to make a change to one or two segments like this. Take a look at the below thread to get an idea of what's going on.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html

guv1976 Feb 1, 19 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady (Post 30727670)
I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!

Per the terms of the benefit, the cards only provide for the first checked bag on domestic itineraries. Some people have reported that trans-border flights to Canada also qualify, but do not expect to get a free bag on other international flights -- unless you book a fare that includes it.

dingo Feb 1, 19 8:02 pm

I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.

JJeffrey Feb 2, 19 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 30729832)
I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.

Couple of random thoughts:

1) Have you checked award availability for your daughter's ticket? Unless you happen to just get really lucky, you're most likely looking at AAnytime awards, i.e. I'd make sure she has enough miles for this plan to work.

2) You will have to call AA to book your daughter's award ticket, so they can notate the PNR that she is not traveling alone.

3) Since initially you and your wife will be in PE while your daughter will be in business, not sure how this affects AA's minors policy, i.e. since you're in a different cabin would they try to charge the unaccompanied minor fee?

In any event, a call to AA is in order.

Gringa Feb 2, 19 2:04 pm

I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue :D but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?

JDiver Feb 2, 19 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa (Post 30732151)
I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue :D but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?

Most of those threads have a Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing a lot of information. In this instance, we don’t have a thread. ;) As bad, I’ve never experienced this on my iPad. But I wonder if it’s a bad cookie?

Gringa Feb 2, 19 9:11 pm

Hmmm. Maybe it is. I’ll delete the cookies and see if that does it. Gracias!

Romelle Feb 3, 19 8:34 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30720802)
Need specifics on your exact routings and carriers to be able to see what's going on. If any of your potential longhaul segments are on BA metal then these come with hefty ripoff fuel surcharges.

You solved my problem. THANK YOU! I was so convinced it was a date issue I missed the consistency of BA metal segments causing the problem. I was looking at MSP-BCN where lots of routes are possible.