Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Time to get this one going for what might become another of those aspirational flights, the new Boeing 777-323ER / 77W flights inaugurating 17 Dec 2015. (Yes, we will move this to the "Combined" forum on 17 October.)

I'm wait listing for J to F upgrades with SWU; F looks pretty tough on the inaugural flight, and I'm not worried because I've nailed down 10J for that flight (10Aor J are my preferred seats on the 77W), 3A for my return some days later - that one looks pretty available so I'll see. And report when I return.

My SWU for AA 73 on 17 Dec failed to clear, though of the ~38 upgrade requests on the list I was the only upgrade waiting J to F.

N.B. My SWU for AA 72 23 Dec cleared ten days out and I flew home in 1A.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2016 at 2:19 pm Reason: Add
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:01 pm

This has all the signs of becoming a tough one for Y to J like DFW-HKG but congrats on getting on the inaugural!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
This has all the signs of becoming a tough one for Y to J like DFW-HKG but congrats on getting on the inaugural!
Pues, veremos como va. (For other members: We'll see how it goes.)
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Not to go off topic but why 10A or J? I fly the 77W all the time and swear by 3A or J but maybe I am missing something?

Def want to fly 73 or 72 next year. Will beat QF Y I took my only time down under a few years back!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Not to go off topic but why 10A or J? I fly the 77W all the time and swear by 3A or J but maybe I am missing something?

Def want to fly 73 or 72 next year. Will beat QF Y I took my only time down under a few years back!
On my outbound 3 A and J were gone, only 4 J was left. I've got a bit of hyperacusis, and clashing silverware, glasses and crockery are poison for me - even with my good ear plugs in. So then, 9 or -10 A or J are good for me. I do have 3A on the teturn some days later, though. So

I will have to say, I've a soft spot for 12 E or F on the QF A380.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:01 am

77W LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

JDiver, drop a line if you're in Noosa right after the inaugural ;-)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
In terms of the long term/future patterns...

I seem a ton of J to F upgrade space on most future flights. (A inventory) Quick searches show it on almost every single flight.

Of course zero C (Y>J) inventory. Zero Z and zero U (milesaver First and Biz)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
In terms of the long term/future patterns...

I seem a ton of J to F upgrade space on most future flights. (A inventory) Quick searches show it on almost every single flight.

Of course zero C (Y>J) inventory. Zero Z and zero U (milesaver First and Biz)
Seems in line with DFW-HKG & return flights. J-F seems plentiful. Too bad I want Y-J. At least when I booked my first 7 R/Ts that included DFW-HKG/HKG-DFW I was able to snag J/C in advance. Wish I could find that now.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Anyone have tips for snagging an SWU upgrade on this route? I assume that choosing departure dates carefully (guessing Sun and Mon LAX-->SYD departures are easiest).
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelat
Seems in line with DFW-HKG & return flights. J-F seems plentiful. Too bad I want Y-J. At least when I booked my first 7 R/Ts that included DFW-HKG/HKG-DFW I was able to snag J/C in advance. Wish I could find that now.
Remember, the 77W only has eight F seats. Y to J in my limited experience has quite a bit of demand.

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown
Anyone have tips for snagging an SWU upgrade on this route? I assume that choosing departure dates carefully (guessing Sun and Mon LAX-->SYD departures are easiest).
Arriving two days later might mean Sunday or Monday are (relatively) good outbound as well, as that puts you into arriving Tuesday or Wednesday. Saturday LAX departures put one into SYD in time to go to work that day.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Sorry to go a little OT, but have there been any TRs of this flight yet?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm hoping to use SWUs for Y to J in mid-May. I'm guessing that's a lower volume time, with colder temperatures starting?

As far as days, lowest volume departure days to SYD are likely Sun and Mon? And return days to LAX are Tue - Wed maybe?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:17 pm

C Upgrades for SWU on LAX-SYD?

I'm planning a trip to Australia (LAX-SYD) in the spring/summer and as a new Executive Platinum member, would like to use SWUs for my travel companion and myself to upgrade from Economy to Business.

Are there any tips for the best way to go about this? Looking at ExpertFlyer, there never seems to be any C availability, except perhaps for immediately before the flight departs. Is there a good strategy for purchasing to increase the chances of applying the SWUs, and how far in advance are C seats released on flights such as this one?

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I read in a thread about this topic. Those hoping to use a SWU had little to poor success, from memory.
Is spring/summer USA or Australian seasons? [6 months opposite]

<removed links to unrelated threads>

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 9, 2016 at 1:36 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by montrealchris
I'm planning a trip to Australia (LAX-SYD) in the spring/summer and as a new Executive Platinum member, would like to use SWUs for my travel companion and myself to upgrade from Economy to Business.

Are there any tips for the best way to go about this? Looking at ExpertFlyer, there never seems to be any C availability, except perhaps for immediately before the flight departs. Is there a good strategy for purchasing to increase the chances of applying the SWUs, and how far in advance are C seats released on flights such as this one?
I'll go ahead and merge this into the extant thread on this topic.

~Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.