FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Mwenenzi Feb 14, 19 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by audiodave1 (Post 30780829)
I cannot find a PE fare less than $6k so suck it up on AA metal it looks like to and take their 380 to DFW back.

Is the trip this Saturday or in the future?
The A380 to DFW is QF. It may have an AA codeshare. [Not sure what you mean by "AA metal....... their 380"]

audiodave1 Feb 14, 19 11:40 pm

This saturday. AA PHL-LAX then QF from LAX-MEL-SYD
Returning AA SYD-LAX-CLT-PHL

thebat Feb 15, 19 6:49 am

There are 20 500 mile upgrades showing up in my account. I am only a member, I have no status. I think they are left over from about a year ago when AA gave me free status for a few months. Anyway, can I use them? Give therm away? I am really puzzled by this, I just noticed they are still on my account. Any easy way to get Gold status such as credit card sign up or something so I can use them that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

JJeffrey Feb 15, 19 7:02 am

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 30781758)
There are 20 500 mile upgrades showing up in my account. I am only a member, I have no status. I think they are left over from about a year ago when AA gave me free status for a few months. Anyway, can I use them? Give therm away? I am really puzzled by this, I just noticed they are still on my account. Any easy way to get Gold status such as credit card sign up or something so I can use them that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Yea, AA frequently offers status promos to get GLD or PLT status and throws in ~20 upgrades like this as a bonus. The good news is they never expire, so you can use them if you ever gain elite status with AA again. The bad news is there is really no way to use them unless you gain status on AA. While most of the AA credit cards give you some form of free bag(s) and preferential boarding, none actually give you status that I'm aware of. If you think you're going to be flying AA more you could always sign up for a challenge to gain status quicker, but other than that there's no real predictable shortcut.

thebat Feb 15, 19 7:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30781796)
Yea, AA frequently offers status promos to get GLD or PLT status and throws in ~20 upgrades like this as a bonus. The good news is they never expire, so you can use them if you ever gain elite status with AA again. The bad news is there is really no way to use them unless you gain status on AA. While most of the AA credit cards give you some form of free bag(s) and preferential boarding, none actually give you status that I'm aware of. If you think you're going to be flying AA more you could always sign up for a challenge to gain status quicker, but other than that there's no real predictable shortcut.

Thanks for the prompt, informative reply. I guess I'll just let them sit there. I really only fly AA once or twice a year so I don't foresee getting any status soon.

AAdamE Feb 15, 19 12:25 pm

I missed my EQD for GLD by $300 and their offer of $800 is not something I would ever do. Should reach GLD this year no problem, my question is, would I get stickers upon receiving GLD, or would I only accumulate them based on EQM after having GLD?

JDiver Feb 15, 19 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE (Post 30783046)
I missed my EQD for GLD by $300 and their offer of $800 is not something I would ever do. Should reach GLD this year no problem, my question is, would I get stickers upon receiving GLD, or would I only accumulate them based on EQM after having GLD?

You donít start earning until you achieve Gold.

wiivile Feb 15, 19 6:27 pm

i'm sitting in the jfk flagship lounge wondering... i can't get into flagship first dining because i'm flying in J on JFK-GIG (there is no F), right? and even though i'm flying F back GRU-JFK, there is no flagship first dining at GRU? So if I wanted to access flagship first dining I'd need to have flown JFK-GRU in F, right? (no status)

JDiver Feb 15, 19 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 30784205)
i'm sitting in the jfk flagship lounge wondering... i can't get into flagship first dining because i'm flying in J on JFK-GIG (there is no F), right? and even though i'm flying F back GRU-JFK, there is no flagship first dining at GRU? So if I wanted to access flagship first dining I'd need to have flown JFK-GRU in F, right? (no status)

No. You must be flying in (three class) Flagship First on a qualifying flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-related.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

wiivile Feb 15, 19 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30784391)
No. You must be flying in (three class) Flagship First on a qualifying flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-related.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

wait, so why wouldn't JFK-GRU in F qualify? I know JFK-GIG doesn't because there is only J not F.

allset2travel Feb 15, 19 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 30784205)

Maybe way too late for OP, here is a link:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rst-dining.jsp

JDiver Feb 15, 19 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 30784446)

wait, so why wouldn't JFK-GRU in F qualify? I know JFK-GIG doesn't because there is only J not F.

I never said that. I responded to the question of JFK-GIG in J and gave the referral link to FFD access rules thread.

JFK-GRU in Flagship First would qualify, as would arriving JFK from Brasil if the passenger has airside access after USCBP formalities (departing onward).

**Access to Flagship First Dining is granted at both the departure airport and the arrival airport, subject to availability (e.g. SFO has no Flagship First Dining) and operating hours (confirmed by multiple FTers from experience, and in conversation with Flagship Lounge agents and Admirals Club Customer Service).

Shadowfactor Feb 16, 19 7:13 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30783327)
You donít start earning until you achieve Gold.

I was under the impression that if you did not hold status with AA previously, that upon achieving gold that you would earn 8 500 mile stickers for flying 25K EQM.

Is this not accurate ?

Anns76 Feb 16, 19 8:39 am

FCO to LHR

Hi
Im flying from FCO to LHR on BA in July. Iím flying on the last flight and land around 10pm. Now I lived in in London 20 years ago for a year, but now Iím traveling with a 10 year old. My question is is it safe to take the Heathrow express then catch a cab at Paddington that late with a child or should I take a cab to my hotel from the airport?
Thanks!

pooran Feb 16, 19 9:09 am

Delayed bag - Feb 9 - Got them on Feb 14

Hello fellow travelers,

I am AAdvantage member and I traveled via American Airlines BLR-LHR-JFK-SFO .. first leg BLR-LHR was code share with British Airways. Journey started on Feb 9 early morning. While checking in, they asked if I can check in Carry on bag also free of charge. I obliged. When we were about to board, we got a message of delay of 30 mins. Later when we were about to land in LHR, they announced that some of our bags are still in BLR. I never had a delayed baggage in past 10 years of travel. So, I didn't carry any additional clothing in my laptop bag. I landed in SFO and finally filed a complaint in wee hours of Feb 10. They still didn't have clue of all my bags.

I had some cash. So, I didn't ask for compensation in SFO. By the time I had done there, I missed my window for supershuttle and I had to wait for 3 hours to get next one. Later that day, I had to buy clothes for my investor meetings on Monday. I billed $113.57.

After several discussion on twitter with AA and BA as both were saying, we have not received update from other airlines, and me mediating messages between them, got all my 3 bags on Feb 14th afternoon. The last bag i got had my clothes and others were food and gifts. 6 days of wait to wear proper clothes.

How to go about claiming and what I can expect? I think my bags traveled various sectors, multiple legs and various airports than me in this trip :D