Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
Australia
Visa
  • Australian Government web site Entering or leaving Australia
  • Australian Government web site Going through the border
  • Australian Government web site Visa types
  • Australian Government web site Visa listing
  • Australian Government web site Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
  • Australian Government web site link --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority Application AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. Check your eligibility & visa type needed.
  • Australian Government web site link -->Subclass 651 eVisitor For many other passport holders. Check your eligibility & visa type needed.
  • Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry
Australian government web site Arriving into Australia
Australian government web site Arriving into Australia > Air travel
Australian government web site Arrivals SmartGate

FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure
Australian government web site Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates


Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 15, 1:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,096
Post Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Dual citizen (of US and AUstralia) wanting to travel to Australia.

Can the travel be made with one passport, ie US Passport? If so what do u say on arrival in AU? Should u get a visa before leaving? Have AU citizenship certificate.

Anyone traveled on one passport?

Should u apply for an ETA - is ETA or renewing an AU passport is cheaper:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/visa-...lia-21082.html
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 16, 15, 2:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
Dual citizen (of US and AUstralia) wanting to travel to Australia.

Can the travel be made with one passport, ie US Passport? If so what do u say on arrival in AU? Should u get a visa before leaving? Have AU citizenship certificate.

Anyone traveled on one passport?

Should u apply for an ETA - is ETA or renewing an AU passport is cheaper:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/visa-...lia-21082.html
As an Australian you must use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country (as you cannot be issued a visa as an Australian citizen). You're going to need your US passport to enter the US as well. One of the "burdens" of dual citizenship.
Nugget_Oz is offline  
Old Jan 17, 15, 1:20 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MCY
Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Posts: 448
Departing USA:
Check in with your Australian Passport

Arriving Australia:
Arrival immigration check using your Australian passport

Departing Australia:
Check in with your US passport.
Departure immigration check using your Australian passport

Arriving USA:
Arrival immigration check using your US passport.
wallaby is offline  
Old Jan 19, 15, 4:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland - ABZ
Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Posts: 1,982
if you don't have your Australian passport:
Get an ETA on your US passport so the airline will let you check in.
Show your citizenship certificate to Immigration when you enter Australia.

You could then renew your Australian passport while in Australia.
mandolino is offline  
Old Jan 19, 15, 3:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MEL
Programs: VAG
Posts: 1,865
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
As an Australian you must use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country (as you cannot be issued a visa as an Australian citizen). You're going to need your US passport to enter the US as well. One of the "burdens" of dual citizenship.
Strictly speaking I don't think they can deny you entry (you're an Australian citizen after all) but they can make it more trouble than it's worth. Direct quote from citizenship.gov.au:

> People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays

Given what the government considers "normal", I'd hate to see what they consider "difficulties and delays".
Jorgen is offline  
Old Jan 20, 15, 12:08 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,096
Thanks all - I am seeking practical tips here.

A friend of mine holding UK passport and Canadian citizenship travels on one passport, UK one. So I am wondering what would be practical? Renewing AU passport is - $218 in fees.

Curious, is Canada more lenient than AU?
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 20, 15, 10:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
Thanks all - I am seeking practical tips here.

A friend of mine holding UK passport and Canadian citizenship travels on one passport, UK one. So I am wondering what would be practical? Renewing AU passport is - $218 in fees.

Curious, is Canada more lenient than AU?
Yes, Canada doesn't have a no visa to citizens requirement plus the British passport helps in that you don't need a visa to enter Canada on a British passport.

The Australian issue is that the ETA can't technically be issued to the US passport, however, most issuers don't pass through this protocol.
Nugget_Oz is offline  
Old Jan 20, 15, 7:51 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,780
Despite my advice to the contrary, a friend who is dual recently got an ETA in her US passport and had no issues in/out.

I always do what wallaby suggested.
stevenshev is online now  
Old Jan 20, 15, 9:59 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,096
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
Despite my advice to the contrary, a friend who is dual recently got an ETA in her US passport and had no issues in/out.

I always do what wallaby suggested.
Thanks @stevenshev - great tip.

ETA is $20 for a 12 month period
10yr passport is $218 = $21.8/yr

I have 4 people at home with dual => 4 x $218 => I can buy 4 Samsung S4 mini! Australian politicians are like US CEOs - they give themselves surprise pay rises, occasionally ended up in backtracking.

Mine is expired - I am not going to renew it but try the ETA, which is mostly instant.
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 20, 15, 10:06 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,096
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
Despite my advice to the contrary, a friend who is dual recently got an ETA in her US passport and had no issues in/out.

I always do what wallaby suggested.
Thanks @stevenshev - great tip.

ETA is $20 for a 12 month period
10yr passport is $218 = $21.8/yr

I have 4 people at home with dual => 4 x $218 (twice as much as US passport) => I can buy 4 Samsung S4 mini! Australian politicians are like US CEOs - they give themselves surprise pay rises, occasionally ended up in backtracking.

Mine is expired - I am not going to renew it but try the ETA, which is mostly instant.
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 21, 15, 2:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland - ABZ
Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Posts: 1,982
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Strictly speaking I don't think they can deny you entry (you're an Australian citizen after all) but they can make it more trouble than it's worth. Direct quote from citizenship.gov.au:

> People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays

Given what the government considers "normal", I'd hate to see what they consider "difficulties and delays".
The problem wouldn't be entering Australia, but getting checked in in the first place, before you leave USA.

I've entered Australia as a citizen without passport (Immigration confiscated it but told me they could not deny me entry)
ETA is $20 for a 12 month period
That is OK as long as you don't want to stay more than 90 days at any time. It's also possible that they can change the fee at any time - quite possible given the current volatile security environment.
mandolino is offline  
Old Mar 13, 15, 5:11 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: AA
Posts: 32
ETA did I get scammed?

I feel so stupid.

Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website. I obviously was not paying attention. I received an approval letter but cannot find an ETA number. Plus I was charged double the correct rate. I feel really stupid...did I get scammed or just overcharged?

I guess I should apply through the official government channels?
ovenbird is offline  
Old Mar 13, 15, 12:33 pm
  #13  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
Programs: Mucci
Posts: 8,083
Originally Posted by ovenbird View Post
Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website.
Without addressing the rest of your question, why would you assume that a website which did not have a .gov.au address was an official Australian government website?

Dave
thadocta is offline  
Old Mar 13, 15, 4:35 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: AA
Posts: 32
Sorry...too much coffee. I will deal with this on my own since I'm the one who created the mess.

thadocta: Did you not read the part where I said "I feel stupid"? Actually, it should have read "I am stupid". You are absolutely correct about looking at the address before proceeding...which I didn't do. Lesson learned.
ovenbird is offline  
Old Mar 14, 15, 1:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by ovenbird View Post
I guess I should apply through the official government channels?
Try here mate
https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

I would be more concerned about who you've given your passport and travel details to.....

I can't even find the fake website on a google search.....
kcupp95 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: