FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

guv1976 Feb 21, 19 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mayday23 (Post 30806833)
There is award space from LAX-BCN for 7.5K miles. It goes through ORD and I live in ORD (well in the area around).

The award flight is NOT available from ORD-BCN by itself.

Can I book the award from LAX - ORD and happen to miss the LAX flight and just checkin/board at ORD?

No.

And are you sure there's not a digit missing from your post? 7.5K miles for a one-way from North America to Europe would be a remarkable deal -- even in Coach.

JDiver Feb 21, 19 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mayday23 (Post 30806833)
There is award space from LAX-BCN for 7.5K miles. It goes through ORD and I live in ORD (well in the area around).

The award flight is NOT available from ORD-BCN by itself.

Can I book the award from LAX - ORD and happen to miss the LAX flight and just checkin/board at ORD?

You no show in LAX, AA will “helpfully” cancel your remaining schedule.

I’d look for another, closer starting point - STL, MSP, etc.

UAX_Brasilia Feb 21, 19 4:40 pm

Would a Close In Fee ($75) and the $5 in taxes be refunded if a non-elite decides to redeposit the miles for an award (at a cost of $150)?

kmandrew Feb 21, 19 6:54 pm

I have a tricky situation on Saturday, I’m booked OMA-LAX direct flight at 4:15, Award J then on to AKL on Sunday. We are supposed to get 6-10” of snow starting “in the afternoon”. Our aircraft is a turn around that leaves LAX at 10:30 PST so I’m thinking I should know something by around 11:30 Omaha time. If we can’t get out until Sunday I lose 95k Hilton points (Waldorf).

Do you guys know at what time AA might be open for more options other then what is available in Saver, which as you can imagine is almost nothing? There are flights to DFW and PHX that could leave before the storm hits or even the other direct flight at 7 am.

Mwenenzi Feb 21, 19 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30807474)
I have a tricky situation on Saturday, I’m booked OMA-LAX direct flight at 4:15, Award J then on to AKL on Sunday. We are supposed to get 6-10” of snow starting “in the afternoon”. Our aircraft is a turn around that leaves LAX at 10:30 PST so I’m thinking I should know something by around 11:30 Omaha time. If we can’t get out until Sunday I lose 95k Hilton points (Waldorf).

Do you guys know at what time AA might be open for more options other then what is available in Saver, which as you can imagine is almost nothing? There are flights to DFW and PHX that could leave before the storm hits or even the other direct flight at 7 am

Is OMA-LAX-AKL all on ticket? All an award? LAX-AKL on the AA flight?
AA will protect on separate tickets.

zippy_sd Feb 21, 19 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30806850)
No.

And are you sure there's not a digit missing from your post? 7.5K miles for a one-way from North America to Europe would be a remarkable deal -- even in Coach.

I saw OP's 7.5k point line and thought the same thing, must be a typo -- but actually, AA is running an Economy Web Special! I've attached a screenshot of an 8k special offering for Los Angeles to Barcelona on 3/12/2019... I want to book just on principle, lol!

guv1976 Feb 21, 19 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by zippy_sd (Post 30807630)
I saw OP's 7.5k point line and thought the same thing, must be a typo -- but actually, AA is running an Economy Web Special! I've attached a screenshot of an 8k special offering for Los Angeles to Barcelona on 3/12/2019... I want to book just on principle, lol!

Wow!

And a 750-mile rebate if you have a qualifying AA credit card. :D

kmandrew Feb 21, 19 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30807556)
Is OMA-LAX-AKL all on ticket? All an award? LAX-AKL on the AA flight?
AA will protect on separate tickets.

All on one award ticket with FJ OMA-LAX-NAN-AKL.
AA waived the 24 hour rule because of a schedule change.
If I could go through PHX it looks like there are plenty of seats to the smaller LA airports but of course AA would have to allow that.

Mwenenzi Feb 21, 19 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30807708)

All on one award ticket with FJ OMA-LAX-NAN-AKL.
AA waived the 24 hour rule because of a schedule change.
If I could go through PHX it looks like there are plenty of seats to the smaller LA airports but of course AA would have to allow that.

The FJ flight can(will?) make it more difficult if you cannot make that flight

JJeffrey Feb 21, 19 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30807474)

Do you guys know at what time AA might be open for more options other then what is available in Saver, which as you can imagine is almost nothing? There are flights to DFW and PHX that could leave before the storm hits or even the other direct flight at 7 am.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do until AA posts a weather waiver for OMA. If that happens, you can call AA immediately and request an earlier option on the OMA-LAX, and there doesn't need to be award inventory.

ManFactSpendLA Feb 21, 19 10:14 pm

Quick question, is it possible to determine what AA flights can be credit to AS Mileage plan? Does the AA flight have to be a codeshare with AS? Or can any AA flight credit to AS? If so, is there a way to look this up?

Thank you!

JJeffrey Feb 21, 19 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 30808021)
Quick question, is it possible to determine what AA flights can be credit to AS Mileage plan? Does the AA flight have to be a codeshare with AS? Or can any AA flight credit to AS? If so, is there a way to look this up?

Thank you!

AA.com > AAdvantage > Earn Miles > Partner Airlines > Alaska

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

thedeeg Feb 22, 19 7:32 am

Question on Admirals Club?

if I buy an individual membership, does that allow you to add a partner? I’m a bit confused by the wording I read, but I read it whilst tired last night.

Assuming it does, does that allow them to use the lounge when flying without the primary cardholder?

Thanks in advance.

JJeffrey Feb 22, 19 8:27 am

Originally Posted by thedeeg (Post 30809236)
Question on Admirals Club?

if I buy an individual membership, does that allow you to add a partner? I’m a bit confused by the wording I read, but I read it whilst tired last night.

Assuming it does, does that allow them to use the lounge when flying without the primary cardholder?

Thanks in advance.

No, an individual membership is for the member only. AA discontinued the household memberships on Feb. 1, so to add a spouse as a full member it's an additional $600.

thedeeg Feb 22, 19 9:02 am

That’s what I assumed, but these 2 points on the T&C’s confused me:
  • Membership includes access by either immediate family members (spouse or domestic partner and children under eighteen (18) years of age) or up to two (2) guests. Access by immediate family members or guests applies only when such individuals accompany the Member.
  • In connection with an annual membership purchase, a spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner may be added to your membership. You shall be required to certify the identity of, and certain other facts regarding, your spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner using a spouse/spousal equivalency certification made available by American when you enroll. If the membership of the primary member in a household is canceled, the spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner membership is canceled as well.
So is that just access at the same time as the single membership holder?