FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Feb 16, 19 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Anns76 (Post 30785801)
Hi
Im flying from FCO to LHR on BA in July. Iím flying on the last flight and land around 10pm. Now I lived in in London 20 years ago for a year, but now Iím traveling with a 10 year old. My question is is it safe to take the Heathrow express then catch a cab at Paddington that late with a child or should I take a cab to my hotel from the airport?
Thanks!

You will be perfectly fine to take the HEX to Paddington and then catch a taxi.

lolosmama Feb 16, 19 12:00 pm

Does AA still offer OneWorld multi city awards? In 2007 I booked MCI-ORD-YUL-LHR LGW-DBV-LGW-ZHR-LHR-YUL-DFW-HNL-SYC-AKL-LAX-DFW-MCI
in business class for 190,000 miles. I haven't flown in years because of caring for an ill family member but want to venture forth soon. Is this type of award still available? I couldn't figure out from the website. Originally found out about the award on FlyerTalk. Thank you, FlyerTalk!

guv1976 Feb 16, 19 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by lolosmama (Post 30786388)
Does AA still offer OneWorld multi city awards?

No; AA's "oneworld Explorer" award was discontinued several years ago.

lolosmama Feb 16, 19 12:22 pm

Thanks. :(

powerski4me Feb 16, 19 3:35 pm

American Airlines 737-800 with Row 7 the first bulkhead row

We are flying this aircraft and have reserved exit row 15, rows 14 and 15 are exit rows. I am considering changing to the bulkhead seats in row 7, and aisle and middle seat. Anyone have any opinions regarding these seats? Seat width? Legroom? I know the armrests are immoveable in both of these rows. Thanks for your help.

Reetmafreen Feb 16, 19 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by powerski4me (Post 30787000)
We are flying this aircraft and have reserved exit row 15, rows 14 and 15 are exit rows. I am considering changing to the bulkhead seats in row 7, and aisle and middle seat. Anyone have any opinions regarding these seats? Seat width? Legroom? I know the armrests are immoveable in both of these rows. Thanks for your help.

i always opted for row 14 on this config. I have more leg room in my row (I can get out of the window seat and into the aisle without the middle or aisle seat occupant having to get up) and the row behind also has more legroom, so less chance of having a pair of knees in my back. The one issue with row 7 is that being a bulkhead, there is no under seat stowage, so all carry on luggage has to go into the overhead, so you will have to board pretty sharpish in the hope that there is still room in the overhead.

One potential spanner in the works here is that between now and your actual flight, an Oasis 737 may be substituted. Row 7 disappears and row 14 and 15 become main cabin with no extra legroom, or MCE and row 16 and 17 become the MCE exit rows. I now pick row 8 on a 737 to maintain a seat with the frills of MCE.

fullflaps Feb 17, 19 8:14 am

Last month I had booked an AAdvantage Award ticket from AUS-AMS. I used Mileage Saver and was in F on the AUS-PHL leg, then J on the PHL-AMS leg. Two hour connection in PHL. When I got to the airport in AUS, I boarded as normal. After 30 minutes, they sent us off the aircraft for mechanical issues. They told us to rebook at the gate. Watching 100 people line up at the gate with one agent to help, I quickly scrambled back outside of security to find an AA counter with no one in line. I told him the flight to PHL was cancelled and that I was needed to get to AMS. He really, really didn't like that i said the flight to PHL was cancelled, he emphasized that it was "infinitely delayed." Whatever dude. Really wanting to make it to AMS on time and not have to go back home for another day, I was super nice to this guy and just agreed with him and went along with his terminology.

He rebooked me on the (same day) BA AUS-LHR nonstop and then onto LHR-AMS. On the AUS-LHR leg, he rebooked me in J, but this is a BA three class aircraft. I was in the highest class of service on the AA flights (F on AUS-PHL and J on PHL-AMS). Should he have booked me in F on the BA flight?

JDiver Feb 17, 19 8:24 am

Originally Posted by fullflaps (Post 30788870)
Last month I had booked an AAdvantage Award ticket from AUS-AMS. I used Mileage Saver and was in F on the AUS-PHL leg, then J on the PHL-AMS leg. Two hour connection in PHL. When I got to the airport in AUS, I boarded as normal. After 30 minutes, they sent us off the aircraft for mechanical issues. They told us to rebook at the gate. Watching 100 people line up at the gate with one agent to help, I quickly scrambled back outside of security to find an AA counter with no one in line. I told him the flight to PHL was cancelled and that I was needed to get to AMS. He really, really didn't like that i said the flight to PHL was cancelled, he emphasized that it was "infinitely delayed." Whatever dude. Really wanting to make it to AMS on time and not have to go back home for another day, I was super nice to this guy and just agreed with him and went along with his terminology.

He rebooked me on the (same day) BA AUS-LHR nonstop and then onto LHR-AMS. On the AUS-LHR leg, he rebooked me in J, but this is a BA three class aircraft. I was in the highest class of service on the AA flights (F on AUS-PHL and J on PHL-AMS). Should he have booked me in F on the BA flight?

:confused: Certainly not. He preserved your Business Class booking, which is exactly what you paid for.

fullflaps Feb 17, 19 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30788901)
:confused: Certainly not. He preserved your Business Class booking, which is exactly what you paid for.

Ok, makes sense. And I got to use the BA Lounge at LHR which was great.

Antarius Feb 17, 19 11:33 am

Noob question- my mother is flying SJC-DFW-BOG. She has no status. SJC-DFW is up front while DFW-BOG is in Y (J0).

I assume that since she has no status and is in Y on the intl leg, she wont have access to the lounge? Is this correct? And that the inbound leg doesn't matter?

I'm traversing the world of no status and realizing exactly how spoiled I am as EXP for the last 5 years.

danger Feb 17, 19 4:12 pm

I'm looking at an S fare between Canada and the US. The cheapest fare is "main cabin". Is it possible to utilize my oneworld Emerald allowance for up to three checked bags for free? Additionally, are there any fares between Canada and the US that do not allow the elite benefit baggage allowance to be used.

JDiver Feb 17, 19 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30789495)
Noob question- my mother is flying SJC-DFW-BOG. She has no status. SJC-DFW is up front while DFW-BOG is in Y (J0).

I assume that since she has no status and is in Y on the intl leg, she wont have access to the lounge? Is this correct? And that the inbound leg doesn't matter?

I'm traversing the world of no status and realizing exactly how spoiled I am as EXP for the last 5 years.

Unfortunately, that is correct. Iím not even sure a purchased Admirals Club pass would be possible, as passes arenít usually sold at airports where Club construction or closures are in place, and thereís no Club currently in Terminal D, from which she will depart.

Originally Posted by danger (Post 30790403)
I'm looking at an S fare between Canada and the US. The cheapest fare is "main cabin". Is it possible to utilize my oneworld Emerald allowance for up to three checked bags for free? Additionally, are there any fares between Canada and the US that do not allow the elite benefit baggage allowance to be used.

Your Emerald baggage allowance will work.

kaydee7 Feb 17, 19 4:40 pm

Is the most recent info on seat selection on BA after becoming AA platinum, but on a booking made prior, still just to contact BA? I have DMed them on twitter (also joined twitter just for this occasion. I previously tried the Royal Jordanian and the Finnair sites to try and delete my AA FF# to try and add it back, but I can't even get it out, even when I do the dropdowns to switch it to a BA FF number. Or is this question better suited for the BA forum?

Antarius Feb 17, 19 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30790431)
Unfortunately, that is correct. Iím not even sure a purchased Admirals Club pass would be possible, as passes arenít usually sold at airports where Club construction or closures are in place, and thereís no Club currently in Terminal D, from which she will depart.

Thanks. unfortunately, I'm flying via MIA a day later; we are together on the return, so that's much easier.

and yes, the AC situation is messy in DFW with D closed. And that "premium lounge" or whatever is a waste of time.

RealityBites Feb 17, 19 7:17 pm

Admiralís Club Day Pass at JFK T8

I have OW Ruby status and will by flying JFK-ORD in domestic First on AA from T8 in late April, and wife is flying JFK-HKG on Cathy Pacific in Business Class from T8 earlier on the same day..... but I will have a wait of several hours before my domestic flight departs.

I know that a AA Domestic First ticket does not given me unpaid access to the Admiralsís Club lounge, but I was hoping that I could buy a Day Pass. However, I have heard that Day Passes may not be available at the T8 Admiralís Club.

So, is his the case? If so, are there any other paid lounges in T8 I could pay for access to?