FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

ft4lyf Feb 19, 19 5:10 am

Hello all. This sounds like an easy question...but I am not able to find the answer:
If I buy a ticket on OneWorld partner airlines (e.g., CX , JL, etc) that involves an AA Transpac segment (so, e.g., the flight is marketed as JL xxxx or CX xxxx but operated by AA) -
Will I earn EQM and EQD using the partner airline rules for that segment (distance based)?

JDiver Feb 19, 19 7:52 am


Originally Posted by ft4lyf (Post 30796180)
Hello all. This sounds like an easy question...but I am not able to find the answer:
If I buy a ticket on OneWorld partner airlines (e.g., CX , JL, etc) that involves an AA Transpac segment (so, e.g., the flight is marketed as JL xxxx or CX xxxx but operated by AA) -
Will I earn EQM and EQD using the partner airline rules for that segment (distance based)?

You値l earn according to the flight reflected on your ticket and boarding pass. JL xxxx or CX xxxx. The marketing airline is the one you値l be credited for - not the operating airline. And whose ticket stock it is (which agency or airline you purchased it from) is immaterial for EQ and miles earning.

ft4lyf Feb 19, 19 9:54 am


Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30797167)
You値l earn according to the flight reflected on your ticket and boarding pass. JL xxxx or CX xxxx. The marketing airline is the one you値l be credited for - not the operating airline. And whose ticket stock it is (which agency or airline you purchased it from) is immaterial for EQ and miles earning.

Thanks so much JDiver! I appreciate it.
As you know well, It is sometimes advantageous to buy an AA flight as JL xxxx.when the EQDs are better with the distance-based calculation!

RichardNixon Feb 19, 19 9:58 am

Are ticket change fees per ticket? I'm looking at changing the origin/return airport on a roundtrip ticket for myself and my partner and I can't figure out if the posted $200 is per segment, per person, per booking, per change, etc.

guv1976 Feb 19, 19 10:52 am


Originally Posted by RichardNixon (Post 30797647)
Are ticket change fees per ticket? I'm looking at changing the origin/return airport on a roundtrip ticket for myself and my partner and I can't figure out if the posted $200 is per segment, per person, per booking, per change, etc.

Ticket-change fees are per ticket. A separate fee would apply if you were to change the same ticket an additional time.

Changes -- or even refunds -- can be had without charge if there has been a substantial schedule change affecting your ticket.​​​

pooran Feb 19, 19 1:03 pm

Anyone faced such scenario?

Originally Posted by pooran (Post 30785899)
Hello fellow travelers,

I am AAdvantage member and I traveled via American Airlines BLR-LHR-JFK-SFO .. first leg BLR-LHR was code share with British Airways. Journey started on Feb 9 early morning. While checking in, they asked if I can check in Carry on bag also free of charge. I obliged. When we were about to board, we got a message of delay of 30 mins. Later when we were about to land in LHR, they announced that some of our bags are still in BLR. I never had a delayed baggage in past 10 years of travel. So, I didn't carry any additional clothing in my laptop bag. I landed in SFO and finally filed a complaint in wee hours of Feb 10. They still didn't have clue of all my bags.

I had some cash. So, I didn't ask for compensation in SFO. By the time I had done there, I missed my window for supershuttle and I had to wait for 3 hours to get next one. Later that day, I had to buy clothes for my investor meetings on Monday. I billed $113.57.

After several discussion on twitter with AA and BA as both were saying, we have not received update from other airlines, and me mediating messages between them, got all my 3 bags on Feb 14th afternoon. The last bag i got had my clothes and others were food and gifts. 6 days of wait to wear proper clothes.

How to go about claiming and what I can expect? I think my bags traveled various sectors, multiple legs and various airports than me in this trip :D


bscooter26 Feb 19, 19 1:34 pm

I'm pretty new to the sticker game not to mention Expert Flyer. I have either a complimentary requested upgrade or put in a request to use stickers on all but one leg of my journey (YYC-DFW), and I'm just curious as to what I should be looking for on EF to see what chances I have of any of them clearing.

Full itinerary is RT GCM-MIA-DFW-YYC, fare code S on the way up and N on the return.

MathMusic Feb 19, 19 3:04 pm


Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 30798420)
I'm pretty new to the sticker game not to mention Expert Flyer. I have either a complimentary requested upgrade or put in a request to use stickers on all but one leg of my journey (YYC-DFW), and I'm just curious as to what I should be looking for on EF to see what chances I have of any of them clearing.

Full itinerary is RT GCM-MIA-DFW-YYC, fare code S on the way up and N on the return.

I usually use EF to see how many business seats are available for sale, and then use that to judge whether or not I am likely to clear. If you see J7, then there are a lot of open buisness seats, and then you can look at the seat map as well. If there is C space available, then there is a decent chance of a sticker upgrade clearing at your window in my experience.

ijgordon Feb 19, 19 7:41 pm


Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 30798420)
I'm pretty new to the sticker game not to mention Expert Flyer. I have either a complimentary requested upgrade or put in a request to use stickers on all but one leg of my journey (YYC-DFW), and I'm just curious as to what I should be looking for on EF to see what chances I have of any of them clearing.

Full itinerary is RT GCM-MIA-DFW-YYC, fare code S on the way up and N on the return.


Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 30798728)
I usually use EF to see how many business seats are available for sale, and then use that to judge whether or not I am likely to clear. If you see J7, then there are a lot of open buisness seats, and then you can look at the seat map as well. If there is C space available, then there is a decent chance of a sticker upgrade clearing at your window in my experience.

It's been a number of years since AA pulled the ability for ExpertFlyer (or anyone, really) to show exactly how many sticker upgrade seats were available. At this point, one can only guess based on availability. J7 means at least 7 seats are available for sale. J7 D7 I7, more specifically, probably means a bunch more than 7 seats are available. And C7 (which you need to access on EF through the "Awards and Upgrades" search) means 7 mileage/systemwide certificate upgrades are available. From there, as well as by looking at the seat map (which, in my experience is often pretty close to actual availability for domestic first class flights) you can get a sense of how many seats are unsold at any given time.

But that's not even half the story. You need to consider (1) how many more seats will be sold prior to departure (this is where the "I" or "C" inventory can give you a clue), and then of course, (2) where you might fall in the pecking order for upgrades (main determinants are elite status level then 12-month rolling EQDs). That of course, is 100% unknowable based on ExpertFlyer.

So the moral of all this is really -- Want First, Buy First. :)

xamen7 Feb 20, 19 1:36 am

AA Platinum Boost
 
Hello,

I just bought an AA Platinum Boost but was wondering if I have to still fly the miles, etc. to get to Platinum and then fly more to get to Platinum Pro.

Thanks

JDiver Feb 20, 19 9:34 am


Originally Posted by xamen7 (Post 30800361)
Hello,

I just bought an AA Platinum Boost but was wondering if I have to still fly the miles, etc. to get to Platinum and then fly more to get to Platinum Pro.

Thanks

If you bought Platinum by Boost, you値l be Platinum for the duration of the status year associated with the Boost terms (current status year). To achieve Platinum Pro, you will have to earn the full EQD, M or S required for PRO status, AFAIK.

mayday23 Feb 20, 19 1:14 pm

I'm looking on EF for Premium Economy - MileSAAver Award (X) space and found 4 seats on 7/2 from
AA1920 ORD - PHL
AA740 PHL - MAD

When I go to AAs PE booking engine, it shows the flights above but for 110K miles in PE.

Is this fathom inventory or am I missing something?

aWASFlyer Feb 20, 19 1:49 pm

I have a KOA->DCA flight that I bought when biz class tickets were 40k. Unfortunately it was less than ideal routing. More availability popped up for better routing. American has upped the price of award biz tickets to/from hawaii. AAgent and supervisor told me that I cannot change flight without paying the extra 22.5k in miles (the difference between my current 40k award and the new 62.5k award). Is this true?

I thought award changes were based on booking code not based on mileage spent. I remember something similar happening for the European award charts long ago but I'm having a hard time finding it online.

Jbro121 Feb 20, 19 2:20 pm

Had a similar situation. In December booked biz for my family from CMH to HNL in March. In Januar (after the increase) a better return option opened up. The return was only an additional 5K miles for each of us so I called to change the reservation- agent was super friendly and helpful. Two days later, I noticed that the whole trip was rebooked, and they were charging the new miles for the entire trip! I called and spent over an hour on the phone with the EP desk, they finally made things right and honored the original award miles.

mayday23 Feb 21, 19 3:13 pm

There is award space from LAX-BCN for 7.5K miles. It goes through ORD and I live in ORD (well in the area around).

The award flight is NOT available from ORD-BCN by itself.

Can I book the award from LAX - ORD and happen to miss the LAX flight and just checkin/board at ORD?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.