FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

NYC Flyer Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by RealityBites (Post 30790965)
I have OW Ruby status and will by flying JFK-ORD in domestic First on AA from T8 in late April, and wife is flying JFK-HKG on Cathy Pacific in Business Class from T8 earlier on the same day..... but I will have a wait of several hours before my domestic flight departs.

I know that a AA Domestic First ticket does not given me unpaid access to the Admirals’s Club lounge, but I was hoping that I could buy a Day Pass. However, I have heard that Day Passes may not be available at the T8 Admiral’s Club.

So, is his the case? If so, are there any other paid lounges in T8 I could pay for access to?

JFK is not on the current list of clubs that do not allow entrance with a day pass. Perhaps if there is an overcrowding situation, you might be refused access. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Unfortunately, there are no other proper lounge options at Terminal 8 that would be available if you cannot purchase a day pass. There is a Bobby Van's steakhouse that participates in Priority Pass.

vintagepilot Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am

Bit of a newbie on AA here, but just checked in for AA flight to US - partner has her boarding passes ok but for me it says report to an agent at check in - any idea why or reason to worry?

JJeffrey Feb 18, 2019 4:10 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 30791817)
Bit of a newbie on AA here, but just checked in for AA flight to US - partner has her boarding passes ok but for me it says report to an agent at check in - any idea why or reason to worry?

No reason to worry, happens all the time. I'd say that when flying to the US I find online check-in works maybe 25% of the time, typically need additional doc verification, etc. Just get to the airport a few mins early and check in with an agent.

vintagepilot Feb 18, 2019 6:29 am

Ok thanks, we are already away from home but managed to get through to AA reservations who said something similar, but thanks for the response.

RichardNixon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Are ticket change fees per ticket? I'm looking at changing the origin/return airport on a roundtrip ticket for myself and my partner.

A651346 Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Booked award ticket using AA miles to BKK....75K miles down to 67,500 after booking?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I used 75k AA miles to book a RT award trip from LAX to BKK. LAX-NRT-BKK and BKK-NRT-LAX operated by JL. After reviewing my activity, do you know what the 7,500 miles promo credit is for? Not complaining but want to know why it took off 10% of required miles to book.

Thoughts?

guv1976 Feb 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by A651346 (Post 30794176)
Hi all,

I used 75k AA miles to book a RT award trip from LAX to BKK. LAX-NRT-BKK and BKK-NRT-LAX operated by JL. After reviewing my activity, do you know what the 7,500 miles promo credit is for? Not complaining but want to know why it took off 10% of required miles to book.

Thoughts?

Do you hold a qualifying Barclays or Citi AA credit card? If so, you get a 10% rebate on AAdvantage redemptions -- subject to a maximum of 10,000 rebated miles per calendar year.

A651346 Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30794189)
Do you hold a qualifying Barclays or Citi AA credit card? If so, you get a 10% rebate on AAdvantage redemptions -- subject to a maximum of 10,000 rebated miles per calendar year.

Ahh yes that's it!!!

Thank you for the quick reply!

Gringa Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I’m booked on a paid round trip business class ticket GDL-DFW-LHR in August with just a 2 hour window in Dallas which makes me a bit nervous with the possibility of the GDL-DFW flight being delayed.

I called to change the first flight to one 2 hours earlier to be on the safe side and was told they can do it but it would cost 38,000 + pesos (over $1900.00 USD.). Any way to get around this or is a schedule change on their part my only hope? Thanks in advance. I can understand having to pay a couple hundred but almost $2,000.00? They’ve had my money since November.

JDiver Feb 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa (Post 30794328)
I’m booked on a paid round trip business class ticket GDL-DFW-LHR in August with just a 2 hour window in Dallas which makes me a bit nervous with the possibility of the GDL-DFW flight being delayed.

I called to change the first flight to one 2 hours earlier to be on the safe side and was told they can do it but it would cost 38,000 + pesos (over $1900.00 USD.). Any way to get around this or is a schedule change on their part my only hope? Thanks in advance. I can understand having to pay a couple hundred but almost $2,000.00? They’ve had my money since November.

As you arrive internationally, I understand your concerns. And there’s no international standby or same day flight change possible on your GDL-DFW route. You can hope for a significant schedule change, you can even call again to see what’s possible because you could get a more sympathetic agent or fare buckets could change, but I wouldn’t put much hope into either.

One thing you can possibly do is to have your baggage checked through to LHR, because DFW (and MIA) offers “ITI” international to international baggage tagging and handling for approved international destinations. You might have to educate GDL staff about that, and we can hope they have the tags and knowledge of how to use them. At least that means you’d have to pass through immigration (even better if you have Global Entry / Nexus and could use the hand baggage only immigration channel prior to full immigration), and go back airside to your departure gate. The SkyLink train airside is super efficient.

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in most U.S.A. airports, but (DFW and MIA have a ITI baggage exception for international to international if arriving from some "approved" international origins). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared or are excused by meeting ITI requirements as described here, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers, and a "green line" for those with no checked bags), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) and there are Global Entry kiosks and a short cut to Global Entry queues. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ction-etc.html
The reason it’s costing so much to make a change is that the cheaper fares that were available in November are gone, at least on the flight you want to change to.

¡Suerte!

Gringa Feb 18, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you. At least I have Global Entry and on a previous trip my bag was checked through to London so I may try calling Dallas tomorrow and hope for an agent who might give me a break. Otherwise, prayers to the patron saint of schedule changes are in order. :D

Gringa Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

One more question. Would it help to go to the airport in time for the earlier flight (after checking there is space on that flight) and possibly the agent in Guadalajara would let me on that flight? Although the GDL airport isn’t the best to hang around in if I don’t get on that flight.

JDiver Feb 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa (Post 30794731)
One more question. Would it help to go to the airport in time for the earlier flight (after checking there is space on that flight) and possibly the agent in Guadalajara would let me on that flight? Although the GDL airport isn’t the best to hang around in if I don’t get on that flight.

The common wisdom might say no, but I’d say try it. I’ve had individual agents cut me slack on occasion in similar instances.

NYC Flyer Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30795150)
The common wisdom might say no, but I’d say try it. I’ve had individual agents cut me slack on occasion in similar instances.

Definitely worth trying, but if you decide (or are forced) to keep your ticketed itinerary, just be proactive in asking AA to protect you on a later DFW-LHR flight on AA or BA if a delay situation starts to develop at GDL (assuming you're not already on the last flight).

The earlier you bring a possible mis-connect to AA's attention, the more likely you are to avoid facing a sold-out J cabin when/if you have to be re-booked due to a mis-connect at DFW.

vintagepilot Feb 19, 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30791927)
No reason to worry, happens all the time. I'd say that when flying to the US I find online check-in works maybe 25% of the time, typically need additional doc verification, etc. Just get to the airport a few mins early and check in with an agent.

No snags at check in but turns out I have been selected for security check at the gate - SSSS on my BP.
Which turned out to be a more thorough swabbing of everything half way down the airbridge. Hopefully just random but at least I will know what to expect if it happens again.