FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

MADPhil Feb 22, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30809438)
No, an individual membership is for the member only. AA discontinued the household memberships on Feb. 1, so to add a spouse as a full member it's an additional $600.

However if you are able to get the Citi credit card, which gives you membership for $450, you can add an additional user who will get access free of charge.

Smrtmom1 Feb 22, 2019 10:53 am

I have the Citi card, and my husband is able to use the membership without me. he has his card and I have mine (same account).

kmandrew Feb 22, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30807708)

All on one award ticket with FJ OMA-LAX-NAN-AKL.
AA waived the 24 hour rule because of a schedule change.
If I could go through PHX it looks like there are plenty of seats to the smaller LA airports but of course AA would have to allow that.

I just called and asked to change to the 2:15 to PHX - Saver seats available in First on leg 1 then coach on leg 2. The agent said I would have to pay $150 per ticket (separate PNR’s) to downgrade leg 2; does this sound right?

MADPhil Feb 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30810210)

I just called and asked to change to the 2:15 to PHX - Saver seats available in First on leg 1 then coach on leg 2. The agent said I would have to pay $150 per ticket (separate PNR’s) to downgrade leg 2; does this sound right?

The rule is that a change that requires a new ticket requires the re-deposit fee to be paid. I think that the two PNRs doesn't make a difference. If the re-deposit is to the same account then it is $175 but if it is to two accounts then it is 2x$150.

JJeffrey Feb 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by thedeeg (Post 30809563)
That’s what I assumed, but these 2 points on the T&C’s confused me:
  • Membership includes access by either immediate family members (spouse or domestic partner and children under eighteen (18) years of age) or up to two (2) guests. Access by immediate family members or guests applies only when such individuals accompany the Member.
  • In connection with an annual membership purchase, a spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner may be added to your membership. You shall be required to certify the identity of, and certain other facts regarding, your spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner using a spouse/spousal equivalency certification made available by American when you enroll. If the membership of the primary member in a household is canceled, the spouse or spousal equivalent/domestic partner membership is canceled as well.
So is that just access at the same time as the single membership holder?

The 1st bullet point is the guest policy, for when guests can access the clubs at the same time as you, the member.

The 2nd bullet point appears to be regarding household memberships, whereby previously you could add a spouse as a full member for a discounted rate. This evidently was discontinued on Feb. 1, so those T&C's probably just haven't been updated yet if I had to guess.

As mentioned above, the Citi Executive card can be the way to go here. If you get the card, you have a full AC membership as the primary cardholder, and you can add your spouse (or anyone) as an authorized user, and they will have AC access privileges even when not traveling with you.

zippy_sd Feb 24, 2019 11:02 am

Checking in

Had trouble searching for this one on the wiki... is there value in checking in right at the T-24h mark, as opposed to checking in 2 hours before, as opposed to checking in at the airport kiosk upon physical arrival at the airport?

Related question - at what time do sticker upgrades switch from (potentially) clearing automatically to the Gate Agent's purview?

Thanks!

Smrtmom1 Feb 24, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by zippy_sd (Post 30816280)
Had trouble searching for this one on the wiki... is there value in checking in right at the T-24h mark, as opposed to checking in 2 hours before, as opposed to checking in at the airport kiosk upon physical arrival at the airport?

Related question - at what time do sticker upgrades switch from (potentially) clearing automatically to the Gate Agent's purview?

Thanks!

Can't answer your second question, but as for value in checking in as early as possible...it's all about seats and NOT being bumped. If the plane is oversold, and they need to force bump, they start with those who checked in last and work their way up. Also, if you haven't already reserved your seat, checking in sooner gives you better choices. Even if you HAVE reserved your seat, if you check in late (maybe weather delay or long line or computers down), your seat WILL be given away. I tell everyone, ALWAYS check in as soon as you can (T-24 is best). Less stress, less likely to get bumped, better choice in seats (or better chance of KEEPING said seats).

chitink Feb 25, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Smrtmom1 (Post 30816394)
Can't answer your second question, but as for value in checking in as early as possible...it's all about seats and NOT being bumped. If the plane is oversold, and they need to force bump, they start with those who checked in last and work their way up. Also, if you haven't already reserved your seat, checking in sooner gives you better choices. Even if you HAVE reserved your seat, if you check in late (maybe weather delay or long line or computers down), your seat WILL be given away. I tell everyone, ALWAYS check in as soon as you can (T-24 is best). Less stress, less likely to get bumped, better choice in seats (or better chance of KEEPING said seats).

Are you sure about this? I have never heard this to be the case.

Smrtmom1 Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by chitink (Post 30819688)
Are you sure about this? I have never heard this to be the case.

Quite sure. Seen it happen often enough to other people, that I made a mental note of it years ago. I've seen seats given away and seen people be forced to take later flights because they were bumped because they checked in late or at the counter and were not given a seat at check in. It happens all of the time.

NYC Flyer Feb 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Smrtmom1 (Post 30816394)

Originally Posted by Smrtmom1 (Post 30820078)
Quite sure. Seen it happen often enough to other people, that I made a mental note of it years ago. I've seen seats given away and seen people be forced to take later flights because they were bumped because they checked in late or at the counter and were not given a seat at check in. It happens all of the time.

Airlines have largely resorted to more generous voluntary compensation instead of bumping--it's extremely rare on domestic flights today. If you check-in late, you are subject to losing your confirmed reservation--not "late" as in the toward the end of check in window, but "late" as in less than 20-30 minutes before departure.

Whether you have a seat assignment or not, with a confirmed reservation, you will get on the flight as long as you arrive at the airport in a timely manner.

jamesgbbc Feb 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi - I am doing the AA Status Challenge and need to get to 12,500 by May 15. I am now 772 miles short.

In the old days, I would do LGA > DCA or BOS shuttle flights to get the minimum 500 miles - but it's not like that anymore is it?

Can anyone suggest something cheapish I could do to get these final few miles for the Platinum challenge?

JDiver Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jamesgbbc (Post 30821975)
Hi - I am doing the AA Status Challenge and need to get to 12,500 by May 15. I am now 772 miles short.

In the old days, I would do LGA > DCA or BOS shuttle flights to get the minimum 500 miles - but it's not like that anymore is it?

Can anyone suggest something cheapish I could do to get these final few miles for the Platinum challenge?

AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).^ To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base. link
Don’t forget you also must beet the EQD threshold as well.

pinniped Feb 26, 2019 7:47 am

Question as to what I'm entitled to in terms of rebooking after a canceled flight.

Six months ago, I booked an award trip for May 2019. 3 seats, coach, standard 30k one-way, MCI-MAD via PHL and LHR. MCI-PHL-LHR operated by AA, LHR-MAD operated by Iberia.

Last week, the MCI-PHL flight was canceled. It was a 1:12PM departure, and I've been rebooked on a 10:38AM departure to PHL.

Given that this is greater than 91 minutes' change, I believe I'm entitled to get a rebooking closer to my original flight times. There is a 12:55PM departure that would go via DFW to MAD - one stop, DFW-MAD operated by AA.

Of course that flight doesn't have award seats available - nothing does, and neither did the 10:38AM Philly flight either. But in the past, for a 2+ hour flight time change, I've been able to rebook. I tried phoning last week, got put on hold for 16 minutes, and then got an agent who had no idea what to do. She kept looking for "award availability" when I was trying to explain that this should no longer apply. She did not speak much English and I don't speak much of any other language, so I just thanked her for trying and left my reservation as-is.

Am I right? Am I allowed the change to MCI-DFW-MAD? Both flights are wide open in coach...selling all sorts of fares lower than B. It would save us a connection and save AA the need to put us on another airline's flight for a segment.

I will physically be in PHX today with an opportunity to speak to an agent in person. I just want to make sure I'm asking for something reasonable here.

Smrtmom1 Feb 26, 2019 9:16 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30821584)
Airlines have largely resorted to more generous voluntary compensation instead of bumping--it's extremely rare on domestic flights today. If you check-in late, you are subject to losing your confirmed reservation--not "late" as in the toward the end of check in window, but "late" as in less than 20-30 minutes before departure.

Whether you have a seat assignment or not, with a confirmed reservation, you will get on the flight as long as you arrive at the airport in a timely manner.

The key to your statement is "timely manner". The original post was asking if it mattered if someone checked in late or early. I was pointing out that it does matter. And the compensation given for being bumped doesn't help if you needed to make that flight, but waited to check in at the desk or kiosk at the airport 45 minutes before the flight. Especially if you are one of the last ones to check in.

JDiver Feb 26, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 30823296)
Question as to what I'm entitled to in terms of rebooking after a canceled flight.

Six months ago, I booked an award trip for May 2019. 3 seats, coach, standard 30k one-way, MCI-MAD via PHL and LHR. MCI-PHL-LHR operated by AA, LHR-MAD operated by Iberia.

Last week, the MCI-PHL flight was canceled. It was a 1:12PM departure, and I've been rebooked on a 10:38AM departure to PHL.

Given that this is greater than 91 minutes' change, I believe I'm entitled to get a rebooking closer to my original flight times. There is a 12:55PM departure that would go via DFW to MAD - one stop, DFW-MAD operated by AA.

Of course that flight doesn't have award seats available - nothing does, and neither did the 10:38AM Philly flight either. But in the past, for a 2+ hour flight time change, I've been able to rebook. I tried phoning last week, got put on hold for 16 minutes, and then got an agent who had no idea what to do. She kept looking for "award availability" when I was trying to explain that this should no longer apply. She did not speak much English and I don't speak much of any other language, so I just thanked her for trying and left my reservation as-is.

Am I right? Am I allowed the change to MCI-DFW-MAD? Both flights are wide open in coach...selling all sorts of fares lower than B. It would save us a connection and save AA the need to put us on another airline's flight for a segment.

I will physically be in PHX today with an opportunity to speak to an agent in person. I just want to make sure I'm asking for something reasonable here.

HUCA (or ask another agent) certainly applies here. Your request is reasonable and AA can certainly reaccommodate into non-award seats on their aircraft.