FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

gregleck Mar 7, 19 8:57 pm

price and route questions
 
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and a lifetime platinum AA member who got that status by using the AA credit card; I fly less than six times a year.

(Platinum status seems to have been devalued greatly in the last few years.)

1. I am hoping to fly first class to Asia and back in the fall - looking to start/end in Vientiane with Singapore at the other end. The AA site shows ticket prices ($10K to $14K) but no award tickets to Vientiane.. I presume this is because first class award seats on partners are sometimes non-existent. In 2006 I called AA two to three times a day, every day for three months, waiting for a first class award seat from Sydney to the USA to open up after I spend the miles for a first class seat in hope of one becoming available - it never did, but a sympathetic gate agent gave me one on boarding (I had already spent the miles for first class months previously.)

So now my strategy is to fly AA to a nearby Asian city, such as Hanoi, then take a short flight or train to Vientiane. I've looked at the online American Airline's "Where We Fly" map but apparently it does not show One World Partners - for example, Hong Kong is not part of the map. Is there an online map which shows AA routes, including One World Partners? I'd like to try and determine which gateway cities from the USA are possible for flights to Asian destinations. Of course, if business or first class award seats aren't available on a given partner, it becomes moot.

2. I went to book a RSW to PHL first class ticket - it was $875. Put it on hold and then looked again the next day. Price had dropped to $750 so I tried to book it but could not because the earlier $875 ticket was still on hold. By the time I cancelled the on hold ticket and finally got back to the booking page, the price had dropped again to $550. Which makes me ask, when someone else cancels a ticket or on hold ticket, does it become available at the original price (which might be the lowest bucket level) or at the prevailing price at the time of cancellation (which could be the highest level)?

Thanks,
Greg

JDiver Mar 7, 19 9:11 pm


Originally Posted by gregleck (Post 30860918)
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and a lifetime platinum AA member who got that status by using the AA credit card; I fly less than six times a year.

(Platinum status seems to have been devalued greatly in the last few years.)

1. I am hoping to fly first class to Asia and back in the fall - looking to start/end in Vientiane with Singapore at the other end. The AA site shows ticket prices ($10K to $14K) but no award tickets to Vientiane.. I presume this is because first class award seats on partners are sometimes non-existent. In 2006 I called AA two to three times a day, every day for three months, waiting for a first class award seat from Sydney to the USA to open up after I spend the miles for a first class seat in hope of one becoming available - it never did, but a sympathetic gate agent gave me one on boarding (I had already spent the miles for first class months previously.)

So now my strategy is to fly AA to a nearby Asian city, such as Hanoi, then take a short flight or train to Vientiane. I've looked at the online American Airline's "Where We Fly" map but apparently it does not show One World Partners - for example, Hong Kong is not part of the map. Is there an online map which shows AA routes, including One World Partners? I'd like to try and determine which gateway cities from the USA are possible for flights to Asian destinations. Of course, if business or first class award seats aren't available on a given partner, it becomes moot.

2. I went to book a RSW to PHL first class ticket - it was $875. Put it on hold and then looked again the next day. Price had dropped to $750 so I tried to book it but could not because the earlier $875 ticket was still on hold. By the time I cancelled the on hold ticket and finally got back to the booking page, the price had dropped again to $550. Which makes me ask, when someone else cancels a ticket or on hold ticket, does it become available at the original price (which might be the lowest bucket level) or at the prevailing price at the time of cancellation (which could be the highest level)?

Thanks,
Greg

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Greg.

First, I’d recommend the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html thread (link), and in particular reading the Wikipost at the top of the page. It has a lot of useful information, including how to search for airkines you might find award seats on but don’t show up on aa.com. Cathay Pacific / CX flies to Hong Kong, so does American, and CX affiliate Cathay Dragon flies to VTE.

Even more detailed rules in the Wikipost of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.

For an interactive map and schedule, check the Innosked oneworld interactive route map: oneworld Online Timetable

And you are correct. There are low cost carriers connecting Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. to VTE.

Second, flights can change prices upward or downward. They tend to start high, and then drop as discounted fares with restrictions are added in, then climb again as those fare allocations are taken up or certain conditions expire (such as required 14 day or more advanced purchase).

Lizie Mar 8, 19 4:56 am

I'm thinking of diversifying my miles portfolio and think AA looks suitable but all I see on the calendar is the points necessary for redemption but not the taxes and fees. Hopefully you don't have to join to find out this stuff as I can't join at the moment as it keeps kicking our address out when I try to register. Will the costs be the same if I look the flight up on ITA matrix?

JJeffrey Mar 8, 19 5:13 am


Originally Posted by Lizie (Post 30861769)
I'm thinking of diversifying my miles portfolio and think AA looks suitable but all I see on the calendar is the points necessary for redemption but not the taxes and fees. Hopefully you don't have to join to find out this stuff as I can't join at the moment as it keeps kicking our address out when I try to register. Will the costs be the same if I look the flight up on ITA matrix?

Yes, you can go to aa.com and make a dummy award booking, it will show you the miles + taxes/fees needed before requiring you to log in to your account.

Lizie Mar 8, 19 5:54 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30861806)
Yes, you can go to aa.com and make a dummy award booking, it will show you the miles + taxes/fees needed before requiring you to log in to your account.

Thank you JJeffrey. Have tried going through the aa.com page but when it loads the flights I get sent to the UK booking page (see below). Have checked with BA and there are seats available on this flight. It's just not showing the charges.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...976c86f333.png

DOH-BHX

SJWarrior Mar 8, 19 5:58 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30854697)
They will email you sometimes although often it will come days/weeks/months after the actual schedule change. It's definitely best to keep an eye out yourself.

will it show there was a change in schedule on the itinerary? I have a multiple leg trip scheduled for the fall and I donít remember the exact times it leaves, arrives, etc. so I was curious if it would indicate there was a schedule change when I look at my flights?

thanks

MADPhil Mar 8, 19 9:25 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30861806)
Yes, you can go to aa.com and make a dummy award booking, it will show you the miles + taxes/fees needed before requiring you to log in to your account.

I haven't found a way to do it without either logging in or providing passenger details.

puchalskir Mar 8, 19 9:26 am

If I book AA metal on the BA website with BA flight #s , will I be able to pick seats as an AA Platinum Pro? I'm booking in premium economy, so it seems to make sense to do so to get more EQDs, as long as I can pick seats.

JDiver Mar 8, 19 9:35 am


Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 30862545)
If I book AA metal on the BA website with BA flight #s , will I be able to pick seats as an AA Platinum Pro? I'm booking in premium economy, so it seems to make sense to do so to get more EQDs, as long as I can pick seats.

Platinum and Platinum Pro are merely onehworld Sapphire.

Silver /oneworld Sapphire: Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.

JJeffrey Mar 8, 19 11:27 am


Originally Posted by Lizie (Post 30861912)
Thank you JJeffrey. Have tried going through the aa.com page but when it loads the flights I get sent to the UK booking page (see below). Have checked with BA and there are seats available on this flight. It's just not showing the charges


Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 30862542)
I haven't found a way to do it without either logging in or providing passenger details.

Weird, so on the aa.com mobile site you can select your award flights and see the total miles and taxes/fees before logging in. But on the aa.com desktop site you're right, it prompts you for your log-in before showing the totals.

MADPhil Mar 8, 19 11:34 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30862987)
Weird, so on the aa.com mobile site you can select your award flights and see the total miles and taxes/fees before logging in. But on the aa.com desktop site you're right, it prompts you for your log-in before showing the totals.

Curious. The other question is at what point do they take the seat out of inventory? There was a lot of debate on FT about this a while back but I don't remember the conclusion, other than that it was quite early in the process. One would hope that they put it back when you drop the "reservation".

puchalskir Mar 8, 19 11:41 am


Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30862568)
Platinum and Platinum Pro are merely onehworld Sapphire.

Silver /oneworld Sapphire: Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.

Thanks, I was just making sure that AA wasn't going to penalize me for booking on BA. I never know what the rules are any more.

JDiver Mar 8, 19 2:00 pm


Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 30863036)
Thanks, I was just making sure that AA wasn't going to penalize me for booking on BA. I never know what the rules are any more.

Actually, AA and AY, BA, IB and JL all earn up to 2 or 3 EQM now, because of the JBA (which includes revenue sharing).

Lizie Mar 8, 19 2:06 pm

Thanks for your help everyone, twitter advice was to clear cache :) :) :)

Leaping_Deere Mar 8, 19 9:00 pm

I am hoping I might get into DFW early enough to catch the earlier flight to AUS then what I have booked.

If I put myself on the standby list for the earlier flight and I don't make the earlier flight will I still keep my seat for the later flight?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.