FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

MCIdave Feb 5, 19 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by elhombre (Post 30740298)
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

AA does something that's called "married segments" (google it. I say google it only because I can't really come up with good examples to explain it like others have). My thoughts are they want to make it so inconvenient for people to redeem miles that they don't. I'm really jaded though.

whostolemycookie Feb 7, 19 3:43 am

Gold Challenge

So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?

SJWarrior Feb 7, 19 5:22 am

Iíve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But Iíll ask here since I was still hoping. Iím only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?

JJeffrey Feb 7, 19 6:59 am

Originally Posted by whostolemycookie (Post 30749444)
So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?

Unfortunately AA won't give you any Gold benefits until you actually meet the challenge and your status is updated. But you don't need to be an elite to get on the upgrade list, a HKG-LAX upgrade from discount economy to business is 25k miles + $350 copay. You need to call AA to get added to the waitlist.

JJeffrey Feb 7, 19 7:02 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30749568)
Iíve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But Iíll ask here since I was still hoping. Iím only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?

I just mentioned it in the post above, but you don't need any certain status with AA to upgrade an international flight with miles/co-pay. You don't say where you're going, but all long haul international routes are 25k miles + $350 to upgrade from discount economy/premium economy to business.

Ceres Feb 7, 19 11:02 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30749804)
I just mentioned it in the post above, but you don't need any certain status with AA to upgrade an international flight with miles/co-pay. You don't say where you're going, but all long haul international routes are 25k miles + $350 to upgrade from discount economy/premium economy to business.

So you pay twice? Once for PE and once to J? so 50K + $700

JJeffrey Feb 7, 19 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30750629)
So you pay twice? Once for PE and once to J? so 50K + $700

No no, you only pay once, the upgrade price is the same from discount economy to business as from discount premium economy to business.

economy > business upgrade: 25k + $350

premium economy > business upgrade: 25k + $350

Goin-2-AA Feb 7, 19 11:52 am

Reason for delay changed from maintenance to ground operations...normal?

I recently flew IND-DFW-EZE... the inbound flight to IND was delayed 30 minutes at first...I called the PLT desk to inquiry into possible options. I asked the reason the for delay and was told 'maintenance'. Later the flight was posted as a 2 hour delay and I knew I would miss my connection. I called the PLT desk to inquiry into other routes that day...maybe through MIA..no dice.
I asked again about the reason for delay and was told 'maintenance'. I flew to DFW anyway and they rebooked me for the next day. When I inquired about a hotel voucher I was told this was a ground operations delay and the customer pays. Very odd.....

Are AA personnel measured on customer expense reimbursement and incented to code delays other than maintenance? Hope not.....

JDiver Feb 7, 19 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA (Post 30750798)
I recently flew IND-DFW-EZE... the inbound flight to IND was delayed 30 minutes at first...I called the PLT desk to inquiry into possible options. I asked the reason the for delay and was told 'maintenance'. Later the flight was posted as a 2 hour delay and I knew I would miss my connection. I called the PLT desk to inquiry into other routes that day...maybe through MIA..no dice.
I asked again about the reason for delay and was told 'maintenance'. I flew to DFW anyway and they rebooked me for the next day. When I inquired about a hotel voucher I was told this was a ground operations delay and the customer pays. Very odd.....

Are AA personnel measured on customer expense reimbursement and incented to code delays other than maintenance? Hope not.....

If you had posted the date and flight number, it might be possible to pull up information.

Iíd still submit a claim for hotel based on what the first two agents told you. The DFW employee might have made something up to shine you on.

BTW, there is no ďPlatinum DeskĒ, other than in AA pufflicity. Thereís a Platinum number that offers higher priority than Gold or non-status pax, but you have to be Executive Platinum or Concierge Key to actually get a dedicated agent staff. (I was EP 17 years - and at one time had favorite EP agents Iíd ask for by name - Iíve been and am again Platinum.)

Goin-2-AA Feb 7, 19 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30750837)
If you had posted the date and flight number, it might be possible to pull up information.

Iíd still submit a claim for hotel based on what the first two agents told you. The DFW employee might have made something up to shine you on.

BTW, there is no ďPlatinum DeskĒ, other than in AA pufflicity. Thereís a Platinum number that offers higher priority than Gold or non-status pax, but you have to be Executive Platinum or Concierge Key to actually get a dedicated agent staff. (I was EP 17 years - and at one time had favorite EP agents Iíd ask for by name - Iíve been and am again Platinum.)

Thank you.....My flight to DFW was AA 1018 on January 24th. However, I can't find where the inbound aircraft was from that caused the delay.

JDiver Feb 7, 19 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA (Post 30751108)
Thank you.....My flight to DFW was AA 1018 on January 24th. However, I can't find where the inbound aircraft was from that caused the delay.

Perhaps someone here will be able to come up with that. Iím limited to a couple of days.

With or without, Iíd still make a claim with the first two agents attributing the issue to mechanical. AA surely has the records and if itís one of those "Force Majeure" instances theyíll certainly let you know. Good luck.

mstrbldr Feb 7, 19 5:13 pm

award question - canceling and rebooking or merging two held record locators

I am wanting to travel on aa metal from MKE to CLT on Friday night in business class. Then travel from CLT to FLL on Saturday morning also in business class on aa metal. I have both of those award bookings on two separate holds through american's website at the saver level (they weren't both available when I first held the first one). I have them saved each at 25K but would like to combine them into one to save 25K

Here's the problem: the first segment is no longer showing available on Americans site. I am betting that if I cancelled these held flights, it's not likely that the first segment will show available again...or do you think it will?

SJWarrior Feb 7, 19 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30749804)

yes thank you it answered up thread. Sorry, my bad.

JJeffrey Feb 8, 19 6:56 am

Originally Posted by mstrbldr (Post 30751997)
I am wanting to travel on aa metal from MKE to CLT on Friday night in business class. Then travel from CLT to FLL on Saturday morning also in business class on aa metal. I have both of those award bookings on two separate holds through american's website at the saver level (they weren't both available when I first held the first one). I have them saved each at 25K but would like to combine them into one to save 25K

Here's the problem: the first segment is no longer showing available on Americans site. I am betting that if I cancelled these held flights, it's not likely that the first segment will show available again...or do you think it will?

There is never a guarantee that if you cancel an award flight that the seat will go back into award inventory. Previously this would be easy, you could call AA and have them add the CLT-FLL onto your existing MKE-CLT reservation that's on hold. However with all the new married segments "issues" it can now require there be space on the entire journey to make a change, i.e. MKE-CLT-FLL needs to all be available. In any event I would call AA and ask to add the CLT-FLL onto your existing MKE-CLT reservation and just see what they say.

Shadowfactor Feb 8, 19 7:38 am

Was considering doing a paid challenge to platinum status.
I donít really want to pay the extra $300 for status during the challenge because Iím flying business domestically so I wouldnít receive anything for doing so.

I would complete the challenge in the morning from CMH-LAX. Later that day Iím flying LAX- HKG in PE.

How quickly does AA award status from flying on a challenge. Iím asking because I need OW Sapphire/AA platinum to access the AA flagship lounge in LAX.

Any way I could call AA that morning after flying to finish my challenge and have the status added to my account immediately?