Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by askyamaz (Post # 886)
I thought international long haul did not have upgrades list
On such flights one cannot get a complimentary Premier upgrade (CPU), but one can use a mileage upgrade award (MUA) or, for those who have them, Plus Points (PP) -- not to be confused with Premium Plus (premium economy) seating and fare categories.

The latter PP upgrade instruments are issued to Premier Platinum, Premier 1K, and Global Services members, and may be applied to family & friends, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. It's not at all unusual for LH and LX in particular to release J awards within a few days of departure. Your odds will be better if you have flexibility on the European connecting points.
Thanks. Thoughts on SFO-SIN route if UA will ever open the business seats on saver or for partners close to departure?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Thanks. Thoughts on SFO-SIN route if UA will ever open the business seats on saver or for partners close to departure?
It's not impossible, but it's unlikely. SOP would be to clear the upgrade list first, so you'd need there to be leftover seats after that happened.

Keep in mind, nearly every traveler with PlusPoints will have some applied to this flight -- it's not like there's a longer one that they could hold out for I'd have to imagine that partner award space on this route is exceedingly rare.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
What partners? And note that UA doesn't open partner space - the partners do.

Agree with jsloan on UA operated. The flight is almost always filled with paid J and upgrades. No need to open I inventory.

If you want to use miles to fly J SFO-SIN nonstop you'll probably have to either pay UA's price for JN or use KF or AS miles for SQ.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's not at all unusual for LH and LX in particular to release J awards within a few days of departure.
And even F for routes that have it.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
What partners? And note that UA doesn't open partner space - the partners do.

Agree with jsloan on UA operated. The flight is almost always filled with paid J and upgrades. No need to open I inventory.

If you want to use miles to fly J SFO-SIN nonstop you'll probably have to either pay UA's price for JN or use KF or AS miles for SQ.
Lifemiles. But yeah, I think its almost impossible to get a business award (saver) seat on SFO-SIN
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Newbie using United Miles

Hello UA Experts.!!...Can y'all please advise me?
I am planning a 360k-mile redemption for Business Class RT UA travel SHV-IAH-SFO-SIN-MNL approx March / April 2023.

1. If I reserve but want to, say, extend my connection time in SIN by several hours, will United be able to help me with that over the phone? I suspect it can't be done online especially since the flight I'm seeking is not included in the options when I search the award itineraries.

2. Is there a cheaper award redemption that I'm not seeing (other than the 99K I'm seeing that uses EVA and also includes economy travel)?
3. For how long can I reserve a mileage award without having to ticket?

4. Any general tips for maximizing the enjoyment? (My hobby is walking and hanging out in large airports for many hours, as well as flying in sleeper seats)
5, Seems from above threads that SQ SFO/SIN is not an option, sadly, as my miles are with UA. Please advise if indeed there ARE options for SQ SFO/SIN.

6. I've flown first long haul in CX, AA, SQ, OZ, EK and EY...should I be lowering my expectations considerably??
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

OP...If I've mis-posted this as a "Reply" rather than "New Thread" I apologize...could not find the "New Thread" button.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Nov 2, 2022 at 2:14 pm Reason: format
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
1. If I reserve but want to, say, extend my connection time in SIN by several hours, will United be able to help me with that over the phone? I suspect it can't be done online especially since the flight I'm seeking is not included in the options when I search the award itineraries.
Only if there is award availability on the flight that you want -- and making any change to an award may require there to be available on all other partner legs.

2. Is there a cheaper award redemption that I'm not seeing (other than the 99K I'm seeing that uses EVA and also includes economy travel)?
Maybe; search regularly. Also, try searching SHV-IAH separately using multi-city search; it'll charge you extra for that segment, but it may result in cheaper awards downstream. IAH-TPE-MNL would be a great choice.

3. For how long can I reserve a mileage award without having to ticket?
You cannot.

4. Any general tips for maximizing the enjoyment? (My hobby is walking and hanging out in large airports for many hours, as well as flying in sleeper seats)
SIN is a fantastic airport. Take a look at the Excursionist Perk, also, which could give you a stopover in SIN in one direction or the other. (That said, SIN is way out of the way going to MNL, so I'd try to go though Tokyo or Taipei in the other direction).

5, Seems from above threads that SQ SFO/SIN is not an option, sadly, as my miles are with UA. Please advise if indeed there ARE options for SQ SFO/SIN.
It's extremely rare for SQ to open J space to UA. It does sometimes happen. UA's J seats are much, much more comfortable, IMO, than SQ's J seats on that route.

6. I've flown first long haul in CX, AA, SQ, OZ, EK and EY...should I be lowering my expectations considerably??
No -- you should abandon your plan and find something else -- EK through Dubai or something. UA J is only comparable to F in statements that begin with "Unlike (OAL) F, UA J is..."

if you even have to ask this question, you are probably focused on the things where UA shines the least.

I believe ANA is running F again -- not to MNL, though -- and that might be an option for you.
SPN Lifer, AAJetMan and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:53 pm

Hi all, I have two noob questions so thank you in advance!

1) I have a a three flight segment tomorrow: Air Moldova to Prague, then British Airways to LHR, and then United from LHR to the states. This is on a United ticket. Will I have to reclaim my suitcase in Prague and LHR and check them in again, or will it be automatically handled?

2) I was able to use 10k to get a confirmed upgrade to premium plus. I noticed that there’s 30 open biz seats but the customer service rep said I could only have one confirmed upgrade. So I know for next time, if it’s that many seats, could my biz upgrade request be confirmed quickly or would it have been closer to the departure time?

thanks so much!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... 3. For how long can I reserve a mileage award without having to ticket? .....
Only offered if any all UA itin, then you may be offered an FareLock option (for a fee) for x days, I have seen 7 days.
Partner flights do not qualify
jsloan, SPN Lifer and AAJetMan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only offered if any all UA itin, then you may be offered an FareLock option (for a fee) for x days, I have seen 7 days.
Partner flights do not qualify
Fwiw, I recently did this and was offered a choice of 3, 7, or 14 days with a corresponding increase in charge. I note that I had trouble finalizing my FareLock purchase on the web, and had to call an agent. She also initially had trouble and had to consult with IT but was eventually able to do it over the phone for me (online booking fee waived). I think thay happened just prior to the major IT upgrade of a few weeks ago, so who knows if that particular bug was fixed or exacerbated . . .

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Nov 2, 2022 at 6:44 pm Reason: clarifying that the FareLock fee itself was not waived
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
.... 1) I have a a three flight segment tomorrow: Air Moldova to Prague, then British Airways to LHR, and then United from LHR to the states. This is on a United ticket. Will I have to reclaim my suitcase in Prague and LHR and check them in again, or will it be automatically handled? ...
All on a single UA ticket?? Very odd as Air Moldova/9U does not appear to have an interline ticketing or baggage agreement with UA or BA.
If if on a single ticket, then you should be able to checkthru your bags but it will be up to 9U. UA is not involved.

Originally Posted by DCBound2016
....2) I was able to use 10k to get a confirmed upgrade to premium plus. I noticed that there’s 30 open biz seats but the customer service rep said I could only have one confirmed upgrade. So I know for next time, if it’s that many seats, could my biz upgrade request be confirmed quickly or would it have been closer to the departure time?...
For miles it would be very unusual -- for cash, if offered, yes. You are still eligible for a cash offer, check in LHR.

If you provide the date and flight number, someone can look up the situation.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
jsloan...GREAT insights!! Thank you. I will perform some due diligence on trying to book EK and ANA with United miles. Any direction on that is appreaciated.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan...GREAT insights!! Thank you. I will perform some due diligence on trying to book EK and ANA with United miles. Any direction on that is appreaciated.
EK can't (currently) be booked with UA miles; I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. LH F can, but it's going to be hard to construct an SHV-MNL award on LH. However, there is a real chance that EK awards will become available on UA by the time you're flying. They started a limited partnership but there are rumors of an intent to allow cross-redemption.

NH is available with UA miles and does occasionally offer F inventory (for less than you're budgeting for UA non-saver J).
SPN Lifer and AAJetMan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
ROFL (do we say that anymore?)

Originally Posted by jsloan

UA J is only comparable to F in statements that begin with "Unlike (OAL) F, UA J is...".

If there is a hall of fame for FT quotes, I hereby nominate this one . . .
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.