Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Can someone tell me if United Silver members have access to IN fares? ,,,
No
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Or do you need to be UA Platinum and above?
Yes
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by littlesully
Is it worth it for me to spend $1,500 of my money to achieve platinum status if I'm most interested in first class upgrades.
There might be some conceivable scenario where you would get an extra $1500 in value, but I'm having a very difficult time visualizing it. Better to spend that money next year on F fares or purchased upgrades.
jsloan, ty97 and Clay_C. like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:14 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
I am 1k (already re-qualified for next year) and was trying to book some flights for next year. Oddly, I couldn't book seats (website was asking for me to pay for Economy Plus, thats Economy Plus, not Premium Economy) without paying. Is Economy Plus not a benefit of 1k anymore? What am I missing folks?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InterFlyer
I am 1k (already re-qualified for next year) and was trying to book some flights for next year. Oddly, I couldn't book seats (website was asking for me to pay for Economy Plus, thats Economy Plus, not Premium Economy) without paying. Is Economy Plus not a benefit of 1k anymore? What am I missing folks?
United IT. Log out and log back in, or try from a different browser.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:13 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
I have an upcoming 7 hour layover at SFO (international to international connection). When I land and have cleared customs, I will drop my suitcase at the bag drop for the next flight. But I want to use the stopover to then head out of the airport, do some shopping and fill another small suitcase which would also need to be checked in. This extra bag would be within my luggage allowance.

Do United allow you to drop an additional bag after you have already checked in?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FlyingFilmGuy
I have an upcoming 7 hour layover at SFO (international to international connection). When I land and have cleared customs, I will drop my suitcase at the bag drop for the next flight. But I want to use the stopover to then head out of the airport, do some shopping and fill another small suitcase which would also need to be checked in. This extra bag would be within my luggage allowance.

Do United allow you to drop an additional bag after you have already checked in?
Should be possible. I checked an extra bag at Dulles after an Intl arrival for my domestic connection.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
2023 UA Mileage/PP Bookings - FAQ?

I'm just starting to learn how to optimize vacation travel for my family (UA 1K for first time this yr and lots of miles to spend, have Amex points also but no status anywhere else). I see all the great FAQ/sticky posts on UA here, but most of them are dated from years ago and I'm having so much trouble navigating the UA site to search for award bookings (ideally want to upgrade family using miles/PP and pay for own J tickets to hit 2023 spend requirements_. Is the best way to learn to scroll through each sticky post and see what is still correct and up to date for UA bookings today?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GummiBear
I'm just starting to learn how to optimize vacation travel for my family (UA 1K for first time this yr and lots of miles to spend, have Amex points also but no status anywhere else). I see all the great FAQ/sticky posts on UA here, but most of them are dated from years ago and I'm having so much trouble navigating the UA site to search for award bookings (ideally want to upgrade family using miles/PP and pay for own J tickets to hit 2023 spend requirements_. Is the best way to learn to scroll through each sticky post and see what is still correct and up to date for UA bookings today?
I would also just spend a week or two reading the new posts on the forum until you feel like you understand what people are talking about
jsloan and GummiBear like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, GummiBear
Originally Posted by GummiBear
Coming up to speed can be a challenge. But it has its rewards

The stickies are not necessarily the most comprehensive threads but rather threads that addresses common issues. While some of the wikis are dated but many of the wikis are still relevant. As you read various topics feel free to query if the information is still relevant (and if it isn't than some member can update it. ) Questions by someone who has attempted to research a topic, will get a positive and informative response.

Again welcome to FT!
jsloan, ZenFlyer and GummiBear like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2022 at 10:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dubsman
Three weeks after making 1K - and that showing on United website - LHR-ORD boarding pass still showed only Platinum status. Is this normal?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No -- ask the GA or UC agent, to check you out and back in. Should have worked when you checked in.
FWIW, I checked in Plat and my 1K popped mid trip on the 6th (delayed from the 5th) and the boarding pass for the next flight showed 1K. It took a bit for the home screen MP status to catch up.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:26 am

I have a flight tomorrow with the following routing: FNL - DEN - IAH - AUS - DEN - FNL. Trying both the website and the app, I can only check-in and get boarding passes for the flights (FNL - DEN is on a bus) until AUS. Is it possible to check-in for the AUS - DEN flight online? Can I call in, or must I wait until I'm at the airport tomorrow morning? Thank you!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryan_
I have a flight tomorrow with the following routing: FNL - DEN - IAH - AUS - DEN - FNL. Trying both the website and the app, I can only check-in and get boarding passes for the flights (FNL - DEN is on a bus) until AUS. Is it possible to check-in for the AUS - DEN flight online? Can I call in, or must I wait until I'm at the airport tomorrow morning? Thank you!
You should be able to check in online for AUS-DEN-FNL, but not until 24 hours prior to your AUS departure. UA has decided that AUS is your destination.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
Haven't had upgrade 'certs' since 2015. Just qualified plat (and will make 1k) just want to make sure i understand the fare buckets (from this post Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018) )

PZ is standard upgrade w/ Plus Points, if space it will clear automatically.
PN is for GS or 1k Y/B/M (Does y/b/m still exist?)

And for upgrading into premium plus is is RZ or RN?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oblisk
PZ is standard upgrade w/ Plus Points, if space it will clear automatically.
PN is for GS or 1k Y/B/M (Does y/b/m still exist?)
PN is only for Instant Upgrades for 1K members on Y/B/M fares, and not other types of upgrades (such as instrument-supported upgrades on non-CPU routes). Otherwise, yes.

Originally Posted by oblisk
And for upgrading into premium plus is is RZ or RN?
RN

See also: Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.