Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: United
I hope this is an easy question...

If I obtain United Gold status, I will be awarded Marriot Gold status. Can I use Marriot Gold to status match for Hilton?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
Can I use Marriot Gold to status match for Hilton?
That's a question for the Hilton forum. Hilton may ask for proof of stays to qualify for a match (if they even do matches), or they may not even match Marriott Gold to anything.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: United
Thank you for your response! I will move repost on the Hilton forum.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:34 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
AC cancelled my return flight, so now I only have outbound (separate tickets).

Outbound is AC ticket with first leg in a few days on UA, and I upgraded with miles to FC.

Are the miles gone for good, or can I CX the upgrade and get the miles back? (doubt I can get money back for AC original ticket).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
... Are the miles gone for good, or can I CX the upgrade and get the miles back? (doubt I can get money back for AC original ticket).
If you cancel the segment, the miles will be returned

To downgrade a upgrade can be done at the gate but you are at the mercy of remaining economy seats

To downgrade before day of travel is difficult on a UA ticket, not sure it is possible if on a non-US ticket
EmailKid likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you cancel the segment, the miles will be returned
Well, turns out AC screwed up their onward flight, and after AC agent fiddled with it for a while, it looked like it was not going to be easy to fix, so it was CXed (the whole ticket).

Three days later, no refund of miles, so I spent an hour (OK 58 min 25 sec) on the phone with UA, but finally got the miles back. Did not want to risk this falling through the cracks as I do not know if miles refund is supposed to be automatic.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:12 am

If I book a multi-city ticket with the excursionist perk SFO-EWR, GVA-LCY, SEA-SFO, what am I expected to pay in fees if I change the second and third leg after I already start the first leg? Does the "originating from US" cover all legs or it is per leg?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kabochya
If I book a multi-city ticket with the excursionist perk SFO-EWR, GVA-LCY, SEA-SFO, what am I expected to pay in fees if I change the second and third leg after I already start the first leg? Does the "originating from US" cover all legs or it is per leg?
You should be fine, depending on award availability.

Additionally at the moment UA is not charging on any award changes regardless of originating location.

Best not to use an agent, if you can avoid, as the use of excursion perks might not be considered in the spirit of what UA intended.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Does anyone know what time during the day United post their flights? Right now I'm looking on their schedule/calendar and it's through Aug 30, 2023. Tomorrow they'll post Aug 31, 2023.....but at what time?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Does anyone know what time during the day United post their flights? Right now I'm looking on their schedule/calendar and it's through Aug 30, 2023. Tomorrow they'll post Aug 31, 2023.....but at what time?
A bit after midnight Chicago time. Generally not a good idea to purchase as the first few days tend to be full fares and the idea that award space or upgrade space is released then is generally outdated
cajunguy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A bit after midnight Chicago time. Generally not a good idea to purchase as the first few days tend to be full fares and the idea that award space or upgrade space is released then is generally outdated
Trying to plan out a trip to Japan later next Autumn and right now I can see UA flights until Aug 30. I want to go mid to late Sept. Will be looking for award space, 2 seats, west coast. I really don't want to miss out on snagging those 2 seats if I can even if it means being online at midnight central time.

Is there a lag in days/hours for award space release?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Trying to plan out a trip to Japan later next Autumn and right now I can see UA flights until Aug 30. I want to go mid to late Sept. Will be looking for award space, 2 seats, west coast. I really don't want to miss out on snagging those 2 seats if I can even if it means being online at midnight central time.

Is there a lag in days/hours for award space release?
If you mean at "standard" (high) levels, they have last-seat availability. You can get an award ticket on any flight United flies.

If you mean at "saver" levels -- that's what WineCountryUA was saying. The days of routinely including saver award space on flights at T-330 went away years ago. There might be saver space, but there's no real reason to think that there will be. There aren't any saver awards on the August 30th flights (at least in the quick search I did ex-ORD), and I promise you it's not because a bunch of people stayed up until midnight to grab them all.

Cheaper inventory might arrive after days, weeks, months, or never. They open it if they think they'll have extra seats they can't sell.
SPN Lifer and cajunguy like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Cheaper inventory might arrive after days, weeks, months, or never. They open it if they think they'll have extra seats they can't sell.
For UA saver business to Japan, "never" gets my vote.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: SPG, OnePass, AAdvantage
Award Ticket Missing Redposit / Service Center

I had an award ticket (United ticketed / AC metal) that was the second leg of an RT award that I cancelled on the phone with agent due to a family emergency. (I subsequently purchased a ticket to a different location). The agent cancelled my ticket and told me that my miles would be redeposited within 6 weeks. They have yet to be redeposited and it's been 8 weeks.

(1) Is this typical?
(2) Is the best remedy to call the Service Center?
(3) I am a Platinum today but will be a 1K next week. Any reason to wait or is there just one service center for everyone?

Thank you!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by jsaroff
I had an award ticket (United ticketed / AC metal) that was the second leg of an RT award that I cancelled on the phone with agent due to a family emergency. (I subsequently purchased a ticket to a different location). The agent cancelled my ticket and told me that my miles would be redeposited within 6 weeks. They have yet to be redeposited and it's been 8 weeks.

(1) Is this typical? ...
No but the redeposit will show at the date of booking, not the date of cancellation

Originally Posted by jsaroff
(2) Is the best remedy to call the Service Center?
(3) I am a Platinum today but will be a 1K next week. Any reason to wait or is there just one service center for everyone? ...
Calling MPSC is better than Reservations and there is really just one set of MPSC agents but the wait might be less as a 1K vs Plat. I would not wait.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2022 at 10:18 pm Reason: missed it was partially flown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.