Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sjwoo
I have a United travel credit for a flight from 2020 that I'd like to use on an SAS flight -- is that possible? .....
Assuming this is an ETC (Electronic Travel Credit) then not directly but possible with an few extra steps,

Any important issue, it must be purchasable on the UA site. And that may be an issue as SAS is very restrictive on allowing UA to do that ("plating restrictions").
You can only use UA credits when purchasing from UA. Not when using another airline's site or online travel sites -- such as expedia.

If your desired flight is purchasable on united,com, then first purchase any UA itin with the ETC with a cost similar to the desired SAS flight. Wait at least 24 hours and cancel the UA flights. At this point you will have a Future Flight Credit than can be used to purchase partner flights on united.com

Converting an ETC to FFC allows this added flexibility BUT the FFC is locked to the traveler while the ETC was not.
Both are good until end of 2023 but travel must start by then for the FFC while for the ETC, travel just needs to be purchased -- actual travel can start in 2024.
nsx, SPN Lifer and sjwoo like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming this is an ETC (Electronic Travel Credit) then not directly but possible with an few extra steps,

Any important issue, it must be purchasable on the UA site. And that may be an issue as SAS is very restrictive on allowing UA to do that ("plating restrictions").
You can only use UA credits when purchasing from UA. Not when using another airline's site or online travel sites -- such as expedia.

If your desired flight is purchasable on united,com, then first purchase any UA itin with the ETC with a cost similar to the desired SAS flight. Wait at least 24 hours and cancel the UA flights. At this point you will have a Future Flight Credit than can be used to purchase partner flights on united.com

Converting an ETC to FFC allows this added flexibility BUT the FFC is locked to the traveler while the ETC was not.
Both are good until end of 2023 but travel must start by then for the FFC while for the ETC, travel just needs to be purchased -- actual travel can start in 2024.
This is some next-level advice -- thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sjwoo
I have a United travel credit for a flight from 2020 that I'd like to use on an SAS flight -- is that possible? The SAS flights are super cheap compared to United's, if I look at their website. When I look up the same dates on United's site, I see SAS, SWISS, and Lufthansa flights that are just as expensive if not more than the United ones. Thank you...
That super cheap SAS (SK) fare will not be found in UA.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
How much over? days, weeks, months?

Is this an award ticket?

This isn't a lapchild but a child with a ticketed seat?

This will be governed by LH policies and agents. If all LH, UA is just acting as the TA and its policies do not matter. So probably a better question for LH forum. You will be dealing with LH at the airports, not UA.
it is revenue ticket in economy (L).
The infant will be over by a month.
As of now it is infant ticketed with seat. Although tall LH metal booked on UA, LH allows infants in seat (otherwise UA wouldn’t ticket it just like they don’t on OS)
Confirmed by 3rd reservation rep on the phone that all is good (alright how much I can believe them? I don’t fly UA at all)..
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have an award flight for tomorrow morning. I want to move it 2 days later. The app is not giving me that option. Do I need to move it to tomorrow evening which is more than 24 hours away and then move it two days? Do I need to call United?

Edit: Never mind. I made it work by answering No to "are you changing a flight that leaves within 24 hours?" even though it's 17 hours.

Last edited by nsx; Aug 24, 2022 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 24, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747jetter
... I don’t fly UA at all)..
and your aren't, as LH rules will apply. You might have some UA numbered codeshares but you will not see an UA employee during your trip, just LH.

A month over may or may not be a problem for LH but you will get a better answer in the LH forum, as UA is just the ticket agent and UA agent will not be familiar with LH policies.

Originally Posted by nsx
I have an award flight for tomorrow morning. I want to move it 2 days later. The app is not giving me that option. Do I need to move it to tomorrow evening which is more than 24 hours away and then move it two days? Do I need to call United?

Edit: Never mind. I made it work by answering No to "are you changing a flight that leaves within 24 hours?" even though it's 17 hours.
Award changes, if inventory exits, can be made anytime. You are not limited to SDC rules

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 24, 2022 at 5:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
and your aren't, as LH rules will apply. You might have some UA numbered codeshares but you will not see an UA employee during your trip, just LH.

A month over may or may not be a problem for LH but you will get a better answer in the LH forum, as UA is just the ticket agent and UA agent will not be familiar with LH policies.
Thank you for your time to answer me, I really appreciate it.
LH MMB shows him as adult and we can choose seats for both of them. His ticket was slightly cheaper than adult one (I'd say the same price as child ticket).

Have a great day and once again thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm guessing question is worded wrong, and "yes" means "use SDC" whereas "no" means "make a regular (repricing) change".
nsx likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
Booked multicity SEA-LHR/AMS-SEA for a work trip, the corporate travel agency forced AMS-SEA on a Delta non-stop flight as the least cost logical fare.

Other People's Money so I'm not arguing, but the travel agency managed to get the Delta segment to show up on United, and the United booking in general is weird (TSAPre number has "-1" on the end, suddenly have a service animal accommodation, earning 0 points on United despite a 016 ticket). I've got a separate ticket number (006...) and confirmation number with Delta, so I'm pretty sure the two bookings are completely separate.

How much can I screw up if I call up United and ask them to remove the Delta segment from my trip?

Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:33 pm

it is revenue ticket in economy (L).
The infant will be over by a month.
As of now it is infant ticketed with seat. Although tall LH metal booked on UA, LH allows infants in seat (otherwise UA wouldn’t ticket it just like they don’t on OS)
Confirmed by 3rd reservation rep on the phone that all is good (alright how much I can believe them? I don’t fly UA at all)..
As has been mentioned elsewhere, it is LH's policies that apply to the situation, not UA's, and what UA's agents are telling you does not matter when it comes to the day of travel. UA is telling you what you asked - that an infant ticket has been issued for the reservation in question. that does not mean an infant ticket is correct for this situation (on UA metal it would certainly not be - have to be under 2 for the entire trip to qualify for the infant fare).

You need to contact LH and verify that what is ticketed for what will be a toddler, is valid for them to travel on when they'll be over 2 on the return trip. If the fare rules for what is ticketed says the infant needs to be under 2 for all segments, but the child is over 2, then they wouldn't qualify for that and LH can and likely will, as I understand they apply their rules pretty strictly, refuse to allow travel on that ticket, which may mean buying a full fare at time of departure, at whatever cost it is currently available for. Playing a very risky game just relying on what a UA agent says about LH's policies. That would be like trusting what an Expedia rep says about a UA policy, maybe it's right, but do you really want to put all your trust in that?

It also doesn't sound like a situation where you can fudge the child's birthday to avoid scrutiny/get around the age limit, if applicable. Since this is LH ticketed on UA, I take it this is international travel, in which case LH will most definitely have the correct age of the child.

Edit: to also add, can you clarify since this is infant with seat, was the "infant fare" similar in same cost as adult fare, or an actual 10% infant fare (usually for lap child, not for infant in seat).

Originally Posted by ajgarett
How much can I screw up if I call up United and ask them to remove the Delta segment from my trip?
If you get an experienced agent who knows what they're doing, they can drop it from the UA reservation no issue. If you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing, or treats it like any other change to the PNR, they'll send a message to DL's system to drop the segment. Practical implementation: call and ask the agent if they know how to cancel an OA segment from the itinerary without generating a message to the OA system, if they do, perfect, if they don't, ask for someone else. Technical details: They need to manually update the status to "XK" which cancels the segment in UA's system but doesn't send a message to DL. They should not delete the flight out or give it an "X2" status as that will send the cancel message to DL.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Aug 25, 2022 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ajgarett
Booked multicity SEA-LHR/AMS-SEA for a work trip, the corporate travel agency forced AMS-SEA on a Delta non-stop flight as the least cost logical fare.

Other People's Money so I'm not arguing, but the travel agency managed to get the Delta segment to show up on United, and the United booking in general is weird (TSAPre number has "-1" on the end, suddenly have a service animal accommodation, earning 0 points on United despite a 016 ticket). I've got a separate ticket number (006...) and confirmation number with Delta, so I'm pretty sure the two bookings are completely separate.

First question is why do you want to do anything?
Second is messing with a ticket issued by your corporate travel agency ticket, without consulting them first, is a good way to get yourself invited to counseling session with your boss

Don't be worried about the itin shows earning zero miles, that is not unusual for odd ball tickets. Make sure your MP account is in the ticket for the UA segment. And in the unlikely case it does not post correctly, you can call / write--in and get it corrected.

Messing with the ticket is to be avoided.

You likely have a PNR with multiple tickets, not unknown but not a preferred way to ticket. If these were connecting flights, that can lead to problems. Seperate outbound, inbound -- not so much of a problem.
jsloan and ajgarett like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2022 at 7:38 am Reason: PNR
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Thank you for your time to answer me, I really appreciate it.
LH MMB shows him as adult and we can choose seats for both of them. His ticket was slightly cheaper than adult one (I'd say the same price as child ticket).

Have a great day and once again thank you.
I am fairly sure that infants occupying a seat pay the child fare (if available), which is available to children between 2 and 12. So I don’t think the pricing is any different but there may be differences in how the child is listed on the manifest.

LH is the source that can actually check and confirm for you.

This page implies as such, which is the clearest I found on the LH a website.
https://www.lufthansa.com/ao/en/flying-with-baby
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:53 pm

This page suggests that flights ticketed and operated by preferred partners - ie non-016 stock - ('including Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Azul, Brussels, Lufthansa and SWISS') earn elites a 25 to 100% bonus redeemable miles. It then gets a little difficult to follow. Does this still apply to these airlines and does it apply to NZ which also appears to be a preferred partner? Many thanks
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by everywhere
This page suggests that flights ticketed and operated by preferred partners - ie non-016 stock - ('including Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Azul, Brussels, Lufthansa and SWISS') earn elites a 25 to 100% bonus redeemable miles. It then gets a little difficult to follow. Does this still apply to these airlines and does it apply to NZ which also appears to be a preferred partner? Many thanks
Yes, and no. It's limited to the airlines listed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: UA MM
First question is why do you want to do anything?
Second is messing with a ticket issued by your corporate travel agency ticket, without consulting them first, is a good way to get yourself invited to counseling session with your boss

Don't be worried about the itin shows earning zero miles, that is not unusual for odd ball tickets. Make sure your MP account is in the ticket for the UA segment. And in the unlikely case it does not post correctly, you can call / write--in and get it corrected.

Messing with the ticket is to be avoided.

You likely have a PNT with multiple tickets, not unknow but not a preferred way to ticket. If these were connecting flights, that can lead to problems. Sperate outbound, inbound -- not so much of a problem.
Absolutely agree. The TA did the right thing and issued these as two separate tickets. How the flights show up in DL’s and UA’s reservation systems is just noise that will have no bearing on flight earnings.
ajgarett likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.