Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

Booking two tickets from ORD-MCO for girlfriend and I. The option were looking at is booking united through her ‘Agencia’ work travel portal. It seems to be about $30 cheaper per ticket. She has premier silver status and I am gold. If she books the reservation under her Agencia account and adds me as the secondary traveler, will we still be entitled to premier gold benefits such as economy+ seats at booking, boarding group 1, gold status for CPU, etc. I realize that I may have to go back through the United site and change the seats manually. Is this correct?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
Booking two tickets from ORD-MCO for girlfriend and I. The option were looking at is booking united through her ‘Agencia’ work travel portal. It seems to be about $30 cheaper per ticket. She has premier silver status and I am gold. If she books the reservation under her Agencia account and adds me as the secondary traveler, will we still be entitled to premier gold benefits such as economy+ seats at booking, boarding group 1, gold status for CPU, etc. I realize that I may have to go back through the United site and change the seats manually. Is this correct?
If the booking site allows this, yes. UA will provide the benefits based on the highest elite on the PNR.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the booking site allows this, yes. UA will provide the benefits based on the highest elite on the PNR.
Thank you. I also had the same question about booking through Chase UR portal, but you’ve answered them both now. Awesome!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:27 pm

United-Amtrak Codeshare Question - ZFV (Philadelphia) to Newark

Hello,

I am trying to book a flight to Dublin May 30th to June 6th and there's a large discount if I take an Amtrak from Philadelphia to Newark first. The specific train time it is giving me only allows for 2 hours in-between the train's arrival and the plane's departure, which doesn't seem like enough time for me to go through airport security at Newark if anything gets delayed. Is it possible to change my Amtrak reservation once I book and take an earlier train so that I have more wiggle room?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is my first time traveling internationally and only my third time booking a flight.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Caitlin Teti
Hello,

I am trying to book a flight to Dublin May 30th to June 6th and there's a large discount if I take an Amtrak from Philadelphia to Newark first. The specific train time it is giving me only allows for 2 hours in-between the train's arrival and the plane's departure, which doesn't seem like enough time for me to go through airport security at Newark if anything gets delayed. Is it possible to change my Amtrak reservation once I book and take an earlier train so that I have more wiggle room?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is my first time traveling internationally and only my third time booking a flight.

Hello and welcome to FT.

There's a whole (and BIG) thread that deals with getting from ZFV to Newark: United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia)

I reckon 2 hours should be enough to get from the Amtrak drop-off location to EWR, clear security and get to your plane for boarding.

Added:
actually I see PLENTY of other possibilities with the exact same (low) price: you should be able to choose pretty much any of the AMTRAK trains if you wanted more time for the connection at EWR:

Added 2:

1) Amtrak dep. ZFV at 4:19pm (2 hrs 3 mins at EWR) for the experienced traveler.
2) Amtrak dep. ZFV at 3:05pm (3 hrs 17 mins at EWR) for the casual traveler.
3) Amtrak dep. ZFV at 2:18pm (4 hrs 3 mins at EWR) for the inexperienced and more conservative traveler.
4) Amtrak dep. ZFV at 5:15am (13 hrs 11mins at EWR) for the insane traveler (or one who wishes to spend time in Newark or New York)

Last edited by narvik; Jan 2, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:40 pm
CP_

Programs: UA Million Miler/1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Caitlin Teti
Hello,

Hi,
Let's say...if you are very familiar with the airport, if you have TSA Pre check, if you fly Business Class/First Class, if you do on line check in process, if you have no checked bag
With only carry on bag with you. You may clean all the check in and the security process in 20 minutes.

Most of times, you are much safer and better to get to the airport minimum 2-3 hours before.
Also, departure time is not the cut out time..they will finish the boarding 15-30 minutes before the departure time.

If I do it I would feel safe with 2 hour connection time but....
Some people don't want to spend stressful and uneasy time in the line for the security...trying to find the gates..etc.

I recommend you to check other train ticket...if you keep the train ticket...do the online check in process,
And study airport maps and you know exactly what you need to do to save times at the airport.

Cheers!

Last edited by CP_; Jan 2, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Is there a way to check my 2019 PQM's and PQD's? When I called in they said I hit over 50k, but my own calculations showed me a few miles short and I want to be sure.

The only thing I can see currently is my 2020 (lack of) earnings.

EDIT: Just remembered I bought an upgrade on my very last flight, so more PQM's.

Last edited by JustBreathe; Jan 2, 2020 at 11:08 pm Reason: figured it out
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Is there a way to check my 2019 PQM's and PQD's? When I called in they said I hit over 50k, but my own calculations showed me a few miles short and I want to be sure.

The only thing I can see currently is my 2020 (lack of) earnings.

EDIT: Just remembered I bought an upgrade on my very last flight, so more PQM's.
You can see your 2019 totals at https://mystatus.united.com
You can see a detail breakout of your 2019 earnings at My Account -- which you can download as a spreadsheet
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:05 am

Just searched hotels in Asia using UA miles on UA website. It says " taxes & fees excluded" and it does show tax amount at check out.

Something new or it's been like that?

I know some will think not the best way to use miles but devaluation on flight redemption is equally very bad or worse.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Ok...not sure where to post this question.... I am looking to book a RT award ticket for the family this summer. I've found the flights at the levels I'd like to spend. While I have enough miles in my account to take care of all four of us, my wife has hundreds of thousands of miles sitting dormant. I generally take care of everyone's miles when we use them, as I'm 1K and they're all silver or gold. So... Is there a way for me to book our travel and use a combination of our miles on the trip? Or would she need to book hers separately (and lose the flexibility of my 1K booking)? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by gold23
.... Is there a way for me to book our travel and use a combination of our miles on the trip? Or would she need to book hers separately (and lose the flexibility of my 1K booking)? ....
You can transfer miles BUT it is costly at $15 per 1,000 miles plus a service fee $30. UA occasionally runs promos for less. However, you can buy new miles for roughly $20 per 1,000 miles and still keep the other miles.

Award fees are based on the status of the the account holder.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can transfer miles BUT it is costly at $15 per 1,000 miles plus a service fee $30. UA occasionally runs promos for less. However, you can buy new miles for roughly $20 per 1,000 miles and still keep the other miles.

Award fees are based on the status of the the account holder.
Thx. I was aware of the transfer fees, and they basically devalue the miles to close to nothing. So there's no way I can call 1K desk, and ask them to use my wife's miles for her ticket, while using mine for the other 3 and having us all land on the same PNR with my benefits?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold23
Thx. I was aware of the transfer fees, and they basically devalue the miles to close to nothing. So there's no way I can call 1K desk, and ask them to use my wife's miles for her ticket, while using mine for the other 3 and having us all land on the same PNR with my benefits?
Correct, that's not possible.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:56 pm

My sister was flying back EWR from today and the flight attendant congratulated her on making silver and gave her a free snack box. What confused my sister was that she thought she had not made silver. When the year was over, she only had around ~$2850 PQD. But she said today, the flight attendant showed her something on the iPad showing that this particular leg pushed her over. This confused me even more because United says PQD applies to the year that you travel. Is it because of the new program taking effect?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by tceeha
...United says PQD applies to the year that you travel. ...
Based on the local date of the scheduled departure, and UA had not mentioned that has not changed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.