Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Hide Wikipost
Old May 11, 15, 2:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 15, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Diamond, Hertz Gold, LX FTL

Hi folks,

first and fore most a very happy 2015 to everyone.

I made United Gold as of last October, yet am still having issues with the Staus being properly recognized on Partner flights in Europe (LX, LH).

Surprisingly, I had no issues at all with the status when flying SAS, however.

The default status that is applied is UA*P as opposed to UA*G, which causes issues with priority boarding & lounges.

I haven't received my kit as of yet, so the only verification that I can present is via the UA App.

Any idea as to what could be causing this?
It's a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by faw203; Jan 1, 15 at 10:50 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 1, 15, 11:02 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by faw203 View Post
Hi folks,

first and fore most a very happy 2015 to everyone.

I made United Gold as of last October, yet am still having issues with the Staus being properly recognized on Partner flights in Europe (LX, LH).

Surprisingly, I had no issues at all with the status when flying SAS, however.

The default status that is applied is UA*P as opposed to UA*G, which causes issues with priority boarding & lounges.

I haven't received my kit as of yet, so the only verification that I can present is via the UA App.

Any idea as to what could be causing this?
It's a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance.
As a stop gap, have you printed a duplicate card online? In the My MileagePlus account box in the top left hand corner, there is a link for "Print Duplicate Mileage Plus Card." I assume that it should be for your new gold status. That might be easier for your getting yourself into lounges.
Old Jan 1, 15, 12:27 pm
RNE

This reservation has been ticketed and confirmed.

Confirmation Number:XXXXXX
Date Created:12/31/2014
Traveler(s):Mr. RNE, Mr. RNE, Mr. RNE
The above is a one-passenger reservation. I'm the passenger. Yet on the Manage Reservations page, I'm seeing my name repeated thrice, like there are multiple me's. As much as I love seeing my own name, and knowing that the world can never get enough of me, I nevertheless wonder what gives?

RNE, looking for two fellow travelers with my name; failing that, a mad scientist to clone me.

P.S. On the reservation's detail page I see my name just once.

P.P.S. Hope I receive 3x PQMs and RDMs. ^
Old Jan 1, 15, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
I have a UA flight on LH metal from Europe to the US next week. It is a Y fare. What would be the best way to upgrade this flight using Mileageplus miles?
Old Jan 1, 15, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Bozzie4 View Post
I have a UA flight on LH metal from Europe to the US next week. It is a Y fare. What would be the best way to upgrade this flight using Mileageplus miles?
Bad news -- a UA codeshare on LH is not eligble for upgrading with miles. Only a natively booked LH is upgradeable with miles (and a very high fare class).
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are valid on participating carriers only, and only on flights marketed and operated by the same airline
This true for all *A flights and for all *A programs (that participate in the cross program mileage upgrades).

See
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html
Old Jan 1, 15, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...rdUpgrade.aspx
Old Jan 1, 15, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
And the answer is, after great meditation and study on my part... buy another ticket.

EDIT: I think because the 2015 thread was created after I posted this that I did not see the above two helpful comments before posting. belated thanks for your help!

Last edited by Bozzie4; Jan 1, 15 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
So... I didn't requalify for 1K last year (million miler, flew 75K last year, but had over $10K PQD), but my status still shows as 1K.

1) Has my old status not expired yet?

2) Is there a glitch in UA's systems?

3) Did I somehow get super lucky and get 1K again? I somewhat doubt this, as I have no GPUs...
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
So... I didn't requalify for 1K last year (million miler, flew 75K last year, but had over $10K PQD), but my status still shows as 1K.

1) Has my old status not expired yet?

2) Is there a glitch in UA's systems?

3) Did I somehow get super lucky and get 1K again? I somewhat doubt this, as I have no GPUs...
Previous year (2014) status sticks until Jan 31, 2015. You will not see a status drop until 1 Feb, 2015.
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Paid upgrades and PQD requirements

Do paid upgrades (e.g. Coach to BusinessFirst on ps service JFK SFO) count toward PQD requirements to requalify for 1K?

If so, can United be pinned down to actually say this anywhere in print? This is AWOL from their FAQ.

(I have to decide whether to bolt for AA, and it is a complicated question. I can tell this is a marriage on the verge of divorce, for I've long felt everything United does is sneaky, and dodging any meaningful discussion of paid upgrades is part of that picture. This is an obvious FAQ entry, it should be there.)
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
Do paid upgrades (e.g. Coach to BusinessFirst on ps service JFK SFO) count toward PQD requirements to requalify for 1K?

If so, can United be pinned down to actually say this anywhere in print? This is AWOL from their FAQ.

(I have to decide whether to bolt for AA, and it is a complicated question. I can tell this is a marriage on the verge of divorce, for I've long felt everything United does is sneaky, and dodging any meaningful discussion of paid upgrades is part of that picture. This is an obvious FAQ entry, it should be there.)
Paid upgrades do not count toward PQDs. The only things that count are most fares and E+ purchases.

In addition, you will earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights operated by United and United Express. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD. See exclusions below for details. You can also earn PQD for spend on Economy Plus® purchases.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
I became 1K in May last year and of course received my 6 GPU's.
Do I get 6 more as we are in the new year or will I get them after my next 100.000 miles flown?
Old Jan 2, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You will get them when you re-qualify for 2016 1K status by flying this year (2015)
Old Jan 2, 15, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Paid upgrades do not count toward PQDs.
Yes, but...

If the paid upgrade is actually a re-fare of the underlying ticket then it will count.
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yes, but...

If the paid upgrade is actually a re-fare of the underlying ticket then it will count.
Yes and the general rule is you if you buy-up after ticketing, but before check-in, the ticket will re-fare and the buy-up dollars will count towards PQD. Although in typical UA fashion this is not 100% consistent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: