Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Another question, my GRU-SDU leg, operated by Azul, was changed by an hour. I'm thinking about staying one night in Sao Paulo so I called UA and asked to be put on a different flight on the next day and the lady said she couldn't because staying more than 24h in Sao Paulo would be considered a stopover and that is not allowed outside of the US.

Is this true?

If yes, could I cancel this GRU-SDU leg and make this an open-jaw trip? Outbound IAD-GRU, Inbound SDU-GRU-IAD? Without paying any fees, obviously.

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fredshino
Another question, my GRU-SDU leg, operated by Azul, was changed by an hour. I'm thinking about staying one night in Sao Paulo so I called UA and asked to be put on a different flight on the next day and the lady said she couldn't because staying more than 24h in Sao Paulo would be considered a stopover and that is not allowed outside of the US.

Is this true? ...
Strictly speaking this is true (assuming the fare you purchased does not include free stopovers). What is the new connection time?

If yes, could I cancel this GRU-SDU leg and make this an open-jaw trip? Outbound IAD-GRU, Inbound SDU-GRU-IAD? Without paying any fees, obviously. ....
Assume your present ticket is still a valid connection time, this would be a ticket change which includes a potential change fee (depending on the fare class) and a repricing at today's fares.

These restrictions are bumping against are part pf the deal of purchasing discount fares. Airlines will be glad to sell you a more flexible ticket but at an initially higher cost. The change fees are part of the airlines' revenue model.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this true?

If yes, could I cancel this GRU-SDU leg and make this an open-jaw trip? Outbound IAD-GRU, Inbound SDU-GRU-IAD? Without paying any fees, obviously.

Thanks
Whether or not a stopover is allowed is fare dependent, but the agent is correct that any transfer longer than 24 hours on an itinerary outside of the US and Canada constitutes a stopover*. (Inside the US and Canada, a 4 hour stop* becomes a stopover).

If you can make a reasonable argument about the flight time being inconvenient — e.g., public transit wouldn’t be available with your new arrival or something like that — you can probably get them to drop the leg without recomputing the fare or charging a fee.

* Unless you take the next outbound flight to your destination, in which case no stopover occurs; this covers overnight domestic transfers as well as locations that have infrequent service. However, UA hasn’t been pricing this properly online recently, so something may have changed in the last year or so.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:04 am

This is a really ignorant question. It's a blind spot for me, and it's hard to come up with the right search terms. Apologies in advance. (I know it's kind of a StarAlliance question.)

I've got work in Sierra Leone and Liberia. I would like to book a single itinerary through United so I have some "protection" (not exactly the right word) in case of schedule changes and missed connections*. The full itinerary would be a combination of United and Brussels Air flights, originating ORD; really not that complicated. United's fare quotes for a couple of those Brussels Air flights are just nuts. Freetown (FNA) to Monrovia (ROB) booked on Brussels Air is US$240; United prices the segment at US$1,407. If I omit that segment, United won't return a fare at all. I could further deconstruct, so I'm only booking SFO <-> BRU with United and booking the rest directly with Brussels Air at tremendous cost savings. Is there another alternative? Is the fare "gap" likely to decrease as the flight date comes closer? (This happened with some flights to NDJ on EgyptAir.) I am trying to maintain UA status, so that "counts" too.

Again, sorry for my ignorance. Any help greatly appreciated.

* In 2017, I had travel where this proved essential; I would have been stranded without a valid visa. So I'm careful now when I am off-the-beaten-path.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
.... The full itinerary would be a combination of United and Brussels Air flights, originating ORD; really not that complicated. United's fare quotes for a couple of those Brussels Air flights are just nuts. Freetown (FNA) to Monrovia (ROB) booked on Brussels Air is US$240; United prices the segment at US$1,407. If I omit that segment, United won't return a fare at all. I could further deconstruct, so I'm only booking SFO <-> BRU with United and booking the rest directly with Brussels Air at tremendous cost savings. Is there another alternative? Is the fare "gap" likely to decrease as the flight date comes closer? ....
A number of airlines are only offering their best prices when priced on their ticket stock, this is called plating. It prevents UA from offering the best prices using those airlines.

Try pricing the whole trip on the Brussels Air site or a third party like Expedia, Orbitz, ...

....I am trying to maintain UA status, so that "counts" too. ....
Do you need the PQDs or are you covered by a waiver?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A number of airlines are only offering their best prices when priced on their ticket stock, this is called plating. It prevents UA from offering the best prices using those airlines.

Try pricing the whole trip on the Brussels Air site or a third party like Expedia, Orbitz, ...

Do you need the PQDs or are you covered by a waiver?
Thank you very much, WineCountryUA. I do need those PQDs. (I guess the waivers come with credit cards that I can't get.)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Thank you very much, WineCountryUA. I do need those PQDs. (I guess the waivers come with credit cards that I can't get.)
Plating is a real bummer and is become a greater issue, for more see
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...r-flights.html
Fare Not Combinable?
No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock
United Can't Sell Me a Ticket on SAS, but Expedia Can
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...6-forward.html
and many more --- just search the forum for "plating"

If you book separate tickets, consider a long layover / even an overnight -- protection for delays and have a nice visit. Brussels is a nice place to visit and airport hotels are reasonable (compared to city center)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:49 am

Aegean Availability

Are Aegean flights bookable through United? I'm specifically looking at ATH ---> JTR in June 2018.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:14 am

Plating is a real bummer and is become a greater issue, for more see
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...r-flights.html
Fare Not Combinable?
No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock
United Can't Sell Me a Ticket on SAS, but Expedia Can
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...6-forward.html
and many more --- just search the forum for "plating"

If you book separate tickets, consider a long layover / even an overnight -- protection for delays and have a nice visit. Brussels is a nice place to visit and airport hotels are reasonable (compared to city center)
Sincere and huge thanks, WineCountryUA. With that new-to-me term ("Plating") in my vocabulary and the starter links, I actually found a work-around for what I wanted to book....at about a US$2,800 savings (55%). I'll have an open jaw, with the missing link (FNA_>ROB) booked separately on Brussels Air...with ample transition time. I don't care about those 181 PQDs!

By the way, yes Brussel/Bruxelles is nice; I used to live outside the Capital in Antwerpen/Anvers and Gent/Gand, so there may be a long layover before going to the U.S. Again, thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is this correct?

Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is this correct?...
That is an Air Canada flight and the amenity info for partner flights can be off. Find the flight on AC website and see what AC says. It is likely a standard business class meal (included).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
That is an Air Canada flight and the amenity info for partner flights can be off. Find the flight on AC website and see what AC says. It is likely a standard business class meal (included).
Thank you!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:35 am

Mileage Plus Silver

Long story short, I was "given" MileagePlus silver status in 2017 (did NOT earn it through the usual means) which is good for all of 2018. I do not fly enough on United in a year to earn it on my own. This may seem strange, but I really like the silver benefits (ie, free E+ seat). Any advice on how I could "buy" silver status in the future? In 2017 had about 15,000 PQM and 2,000 PQD. I would expect the same in 2018. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ewazak
Long story short, I was "given" MileagePlus silver status in 2017 (did NOT earn it through the usual means) which is good for all of 2018. I do not fly enough on United in a year to earn it on my own. This may seem strange, but I really like the silver benefits (ie, free E+ seat). Any advice on how I could "buy" silver status in the future? In 2017 had about 15,000 PQM and 2,000 PQD. I would expect the same in 2018. Thank you in advance for any advice.
You can purchase E+ annual subscriptions Economy Plus subscriptions
Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

You can purchase Premier Access
"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

With MP credit cards, you can receive bag fee waivers for 1 or 2 bags
Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees
and premier boarding
MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

And in mid -January you may be given an opportunity to buy up to receive status, last year's offer
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage
This may be a question for it's own thread but hoping someone can help.
I travel from Houston, Tx to Colombo, Sri Lanka 3 to 4 times a year for work. I used to take IAH->SFO->SIN->CMB. Singapore to Colombo was on Sri Lanka Airlines so no miles or dollars but was only four hours. A trip would net me about 20000 miles and would run about 1600USD plus upgrades to Economy plus round trip. The prices appear to have changed recently as this trip is running over 2300 for me each way. The economical way for me is now from Houston to London to CMB with the last 10 hours being on Sri Lanka airlines. This would result in about a 8k miles round trip which is no bueno.

So the questions are:

1. Anyone know why the focus on sending me through London these days?
2. Tips and tricks for booking a higher mileage run from IAH to CMB? I can do Turkish Airlines which is about 13k miles but no PQD.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.