Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 12, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG

Can someone tell me what triggers the free bag when you have the United Explorer card - do you just show it, does it come up somewhere in the check-in process? On our last trip I purchased the tickets with a card that was supposed to waive the fee "IF" you purchased the ticket with the card. I did that, but then a few months before the actual flight it was time to canx that card so I didn't have it anymore and they wouldn't give me the waiver (I talked them into it one way) even though nothing said I needed to still have the card.

So - now I have a flight in May I bought using the old United card. I now have the Explorer card that provides a waiver. I know it says now that you have to buy the ticket with the card - which I didn't do (unlike last time - when I did but they said it didn't matter...) - so I'm just wondering what the trigger is.

Thx
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
For your first scenario - the rules clearly state a valid card account must exist. You just didn't look hard enough for that note.

As for this most recent bending of the rules you're requesting - just show
the check-in agent the card. He or she will waive the fees. But be prepared
just in case, since you didn't follow the rules of the baggage waiver.

The trigger is the fact that the card is linked to your OP/MP number, and hence in the reservation as a baggage waiver.

You can try it yourself - when you check in at OLCI - if all goes well, you should be able to pick one bag to check-in, with no fee.
Old Jan 12, 12, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Thanks! Maybe the current rules say it - but I took print outs of the old card and airline rules (T&C) to the airport with me that simply stated you must purchase the tickets with the card - which I did. They told me then if I had the new card they would waive it - but I didn't. We'll see what happens this time :-)
Old Aug 9, 12, 6:08 am

United Explorer - checked bag fee policy (free?)

Has anyone with the United Explorer card been denied the free checked bag?

I was denied recently at ORD (though I have checked baggage at other airports and had no trouble getting the fee waived).

I believed I had met all the criteria for taking advantage of the "free" checked bag (I purchased the flight on my Chase United Explorer card, my Mileageplus # was included in the reservation, the bag was the only item being checked, and the flight was being operated by United). However, after explaining the "free" checked bag to the United ticketing clerk, I was told that I would have to pay for my bag. I escalated my request to a ticketing supervisor and he refused to waive the baggage checking fee as well.

Just wondering if anyone has been down this path and if Chase would reimburse after the fact or send over a gesture of goodwill.
Old Aug 9, 12, 6:41 am

Programs: UA DL HH
United Explorer - denied free checked bag

They were wrong. Call UA to get your money back.
Old Aug 9, 12, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
They were wrong. Call UA to get your money back.
Don't call UA. Send in the web form asking for the refund. Wait 10 business days and dispute on your CC. When you do the CC dispute, provide a short & concise explanation such as, "even though I used this card which provides for a free bag when the ticket is purchased and the MP# is included, UA refused to waive the charge in violation of the terms & conditions of this card." Shorter is better.
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Did you show them the actual card? I'd assume so since they normally ask for credit card and ID. But they may not have paid attention to the actual you used and just checked your status.

I didn't see you state that you told them "this card allows me to the free checked bag as one of the branded benefits" and show them the united branded symbol. Either way I'm sure chase will take care of it as others have said.

If it were me I'd go as far as pulling out my iPhone and showing them on the site. But you have been pressed for time.
Old Aug 10, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
I just looked up the "rules"

FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE FOR MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER AND ONEPASS PLUS CARD MEMBERS

Primary cardmembers and one companion travelling on the same reservation will receive their first standard checked bag free each time they fly United when they purchase their tickets with their MileagePlus Explorer or OnePass Plus Card (a savings of up to $100 per round trip).

Terms and Conditions

Eligible credit cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United; codeshare flights are not eligible. The primary cardmember's MileagePlus account number must be listed in their reservation and they must pay for their tickets with their qualifying United MileagePlus Chase Credit Card.
One companion traveling on the same reservation with the eligible primary credit Cardmember will also receive their applicable checked bag free.
Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or will be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
No refunds or credits will be issued after travel has been completed.
Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit card members will be eligible for their applicable free checked bag after their first use of their credit card.
Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
If you have a question regarding whether your credit card is eligible for this benefit, please call the customer service number on the back of your card.
Old Aug 28, 12, 12:58 pm

Chase United Explore Card -- check bag policy

Chase United Explore Card allows the first check bag free.
But if I fly international route, the first check bag is free for everybody anyway, so do I get to have another bag for free?
Has anyone try to get 2nd bag free on international flight with the Explore card?
Old Aug 28, 12, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Chase United Explore Card allows the first check bag free.
But if I fly international route, the first check bag is free for everybody anyway, so do I get to have another bag for free?
Has anyone try to get 2nd bag free on international flight with the Explore card?
No. The card only provides a fee waiver for the first bag. You will have to pay for the second bag.
Old Aug 28, 12, 6:12 pm

I just traveled on an award ticket and paid my taxes with the UA card. When I checked in at the automatic kiosk, it came up 1 free bag and I did not have to swipe a credit card.
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM HHonors Gold
Baggage fees with tickets purchased with Mileage Plus Explorer Visa?

Do baggage fees apply for tickets purchased for family members? I am not traveling with them. Sorry if this has been addressed in previous postings but I could not find the answer to this specific question.
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iadslc View Post
Do baggage fees apply for tickets purchased for family members? I am not traveling with them. Sorry if this has been addressed in previous postings but I could not find the answer to this specific question.
Yes, they will.

It's different if you're booking award tickets.
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:36 pm

I believe they will. Fees are only waived if primary card member is on itinerary.
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM HHonors Gold
Thanks for the clarification.

Search this Thread