FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fredshino
Another question, my GRU-SDU leg, operated by Azul, was changed by an hour. I'm thinking about staying one night in Sao Paulo so I called UA and asked to be put on a different flight on the next day and the lady said she couldn't because staying more than 24h in Sao Paulo would be considered a stopover and that is not allowed outside of the US.

Is this true? ...
Strictly speaking this is true (assuming the fare you purchased does not include free stopovers). What is the new connection time?

Originally Posted by fredshino
If yes, could I cancel this GRU-SDU leg and make this an open-jaw trip? Outbound IAD-GRU, Inbound SDU-GRU-IAD? Without paying any fees, obviously. ....
Assume your present ticket is still a valid connection time, this would be a ticket change which includes a potential change fee (depending on the fare class) and a repricing at today's fares.

These restrictions are bumping against are part pf the deal of purchasing discount fares. Airlines will be glad to sell you a more flexible ticket but at an initially higher cost. The change fees are part of the airlines' revenue model.