Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Not Combinable?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Fare Not Combinable?

Tried booking a roundtrip ticket - outbound UA and return TK, and was told that the fares are not combinable and that United can't book TK flights. HU. Notice the flight even though there's no price and wasn't ticketed was saved under my reservations and has a confirmation #. HUACA. This time I am told it's not ticketable because 1) the TK flight doesn't exist (not true in fact they fly this route multiple times a day). 2) Not combinable. 3) UA can't book TK over the water?

Anyone able to explain to me what actually happened?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:24 pm

Perhaps the fares aren't combinable?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Many airlines have plating restrictions on their cheap fares.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Not without more specifics. But it's likely because most TK TATL fares cannot be issued on UA ticket stock.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried booking a roundtrip ticket - outbound UA and return TK, and was told that the fares are not combinable and that United can't book TK flights. HU. Notice the flight even though there's no price and wasn't ticketed was saved under my reservations and has a confirmation #. HUACA. This time I am told it's not ticketable because 1) the TK flight doesn't exist (not true in fact they fly this route multiple times a day). 2) Not combinable. 3) UA can't book TK over the water?

What class of service? What route? How did you find the fare, and how much did you expect it to cost?

Most discount UA fares have restrictions that limit combinability with other fares, and most restrict the overwater flight to UA or a joint-venture partner. (TK isn't).

Last edited by jsloan; May 2, 2017 at 10:29 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old May 2, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA most certainly can book TK flights. That doesn't mean they are able to book all TK fares, but they have the ability to book flights, i.e., there should be an interline agreement for UA to sell.

It's likely one of the following:
- Agent was being truthful, and for whatever reason, the UA/TK fares you wanted aren't combinable. Very possible, especially since it seems two different agents said this
- TK has a plating restriction on the fare you were looking for - and UA can't book the fare you want, but can book a full fare (very common with a number of partners these days)
Old May 2, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Op - try to recreate it with google flights. See if it will transfer you to the Ua site to book it.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not without more specifics. But it's likely because most TK TATL fares cannot be issued on UA ticket stock.
Strange, but if that's the rule...

Originally Posted by jsloan
What class of service? What route? How did you find the fare, and how much did you expect it to cost?

Most discount UA fares have restrictions that limit combinability with other fares, and most restrict the overwater flight to UA or a joint-venture partner. (TK isn't).
Business Class. I found the fare on ITA, but never was able to get ITA to put both of them together. Separately the outbound was 2,000 on United and the return on United was $7,000. I found a TK flight that had the outbound 3,000 and return for $2,000 so I was trying to combine the fares.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Op - try to recreate it with google flights. See if it will transfer you to the Ua site to book it.
No luck, the second I choose the TK flight, all the other flight options disappear.

Not the end of the world, but was frustrating. I'm trying to use all the Flyertalk tricks I learn, and then I run into road blocks like this. I never received a price for the flight, but the difference between all TK and all United was 4K.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Strange, but if that's the rule...

Business Class. I found the fare on ITA, but never was able to get ITA to put both of them together. Separately the outbound was 2,000 on United and the return on United was $7,000. I found a TK flight that had the outbound 3,000 and return for $2,000 so I was trying to combine the fares.

Therein lies the problem. Not combinable, as you've seen.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Therein lies the problem. Not combinable, as you've seen.
I don't mean to be overly sarcastic, but 2 agents said it wasn't combinable. Several on this thread pointed that out. Then everyone came up w many hypothesis and tricks...but the simple answer is probably it - the fare just isn't combinable.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by deskover54
I don't mean to be overly sarcastic, but 2 agents said it wasn't combinable. Several on this thread pointed that out. Then everyone came up w many hypothesis and tricks...but the simple answer is probably it - the fare just isn't combinable.
I don't think you're being "overly sarcastic" at all. It wasn't until the OP's clarification right before my response that the fare construction was made clear.

Pretty plain and simple to me.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by deskover54
What does ITA say? If you can get the fare created there, it's a good bet somebody can issue it.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by zrs70
Or just book two one ways???
Old May 3, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
What does ITA say? If you can get the fare created there, it's a good bet somebody can issue it.
The OP already noted that doesn't work.
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Or just book two one ways???
Very unlikely to price well. Typically international premium tickets don't do that sort of thing well.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No luck, the second I choose the TK flight, all the other flight options disappear.
That's because the TK discount J fares can only be issued on TK stock.

People blame UA for this, it's not UA's call. If you see a very cheap business class fare, and it's not one of the JV partners, chances are it can't be purchased on UA stock. Same is true for the cheap SK TATL fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.