Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum

I'm looking to qualify as Gold this year, and noticed the 4 flight on United requirement for qualification:

A minimum of 4 flights on United or United Express is always required to achieve Premier status

I have a flight booked through LH with a LH code share number and on LH ticket stock. But, it's operated by United (IAD-FRA). Would this count as one of the 4 flights on United?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DCAhome
I have a flight booked through LH with a LH code share number and on LH ticket stock. But, it's operated by United (IAD-FRA). Would this count as one of the 4 flights on United?
Yes. The operator is all that matters.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:38 pm

PZ upgrade on cancelled flight

Just received notice my lax to ewr flight was cancelled.

I upgraded using MUA to PZ space. No other flights that day have PZ available..

Any tips on getting United to open up PZ space on another flight? I am UA gold.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Just received notice my lax to ewr flight was cancelled.

I upgraded using MUA to PZ space. No other flights that day have PZ available..

Any tips on getting United to open up PZ space on another flight? I am UA gold.
If you were already upgraded before the flight was cancelled, they should give you an upgraded seat on your new flight without issue. Inventory should not matter.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:02 pm

Great. Supervisor approval was necessary, but it was all done in less than 8 minutes on the phone.
vicmmen likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:46 pm

Hi Team - Silver here, been waiting on a response for 4 weeks. Emailed in again a week ago without a response. How can I escalate and get a response from United? What am I entitled to in terms of compensation? Help is much appreciated

On Nov 3rd I was scheduled to fly DUB - EWR - SFO. Due to a 2h delay leaving DUB I was rebooked to LAX via EWR instead of arriving into SFO, forcing me to overnight in LAX instead of attending business meetings in San Francisco in the evening. The equipment was also unclean and had used napkins under the seat and stuffed into the sides of the seats. Very disgusting especially in times of Covid - I would expect the cleaning protocols to be strictly followed despite delays. The staff apologized but said it wasn't their responsibility as they received the plane this way??
In LAX I was provided with a hotel voucher which worked fine even though the Sheraton LAX hotel is in abysmal state, however, the $40 digital credit card meal vouchers did not work. None of the delivery apps were able to process them.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What was the reason for the initial delay?

The USA has no required compensation on delays but Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? might be an option
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Which of the major UA hubs (EWR, ORD, SFO, DEN, etc) still have premier access security lanes that don’t require TSA Pre or Clear?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What was the reason for the initial delay?

The USA has no required compensation on delays but Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? might be an option
The reason for the initial delay was: schedule disruptions caused by an out-of-service aircraft

Thanks for the best practices, I will look into that - they actually gave me that document at the airport as well.

I still havent received a response from United - is there any way to escalate this for faster resolution?

Cheers!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by getagb
Which of the major UA hubs (EWR, ORD, SFO, DEN, etc) still have premier access security lanes that don’t require TSA Pre or Clear?
All of them should have those lanes.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
All of them should have those lanes.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...er-access.html
Huge list in the FAQ there of airports that apparently have Premier Access security lines. Personally I have never noticed them anywhere, that includes IAD, ORD, and SFO. Do they hide them somewhere?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...er-access.html
Huge list in the FAQ there of airports that apparently have Premier Access security lines. Personally I have never noticed them anywhere, that includes IAD, ORD, and SFO. Do they hide them somewhere?
They are usually tucked in between regular security lines and TSA Pre lines. Fairly small affair in terms of real estate, so might be easy to miss, especially if you'd normally only use one of the three exclusively. I can confirm EWR and SFO have them, as those airports make up my primary O/D route.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I can confirm EWR and SFO have them, as those airports make up my primary O/D route.
At SFO, both the F1 and F3 checkpoints (per SFO website). SFO - Security
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:20 am

Quick question around Plus Points upgrades.

I'm a gold flier and my parents (Both 1K) regularly apply plus points to my bookings when I travel for business and I would say it works out probably 75% of the time.

I'll be taking a trip with my gf next month (no status) and my parents want to do the usual Plus Point assignment to our tickets. Is it better for us to be on the same booking or separate, or does it matter at all? (from a confirmation number perspective, i'm not up to speed on on the lingo if this is wrong)
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, dave16

Originally Posted by dave16
... I'm a gold flier and my parents (Both 1K) regularly apply plus points to my bookings when I travel for business and I would say it works out probably 75% of the time.

I'll be taking a trip with my gf next month (no status) and my parents want to do the usual Plus Point assignment to our tickets. Is it better for us to be on the same booking or separate, or does it matter at all? (from a confirmation number perspective, i'm not up to speed on on the lingo if this is wrong)
Two conflicting answers

1) Better to be on same PNR as the companion "inherits" your status and status is a key determination of who gets upgraded

2) Better to be on different PNRs if only 1 space opens up -- meaning you would be separated.

If you do not want to be split, single PNR is best.

Note , if you don't clear before boarding, then it is possible still to be split -- mention to the gate agent if you don't want to be split up if at the top of the displayed gate upgrade list

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.