Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I can switch for free to YOW-IAD-IAH-AMSfor a lot more PQPs.
If you can "switch for free" then there will be no change in the amount of PQPs you would earn on the ticket compared to what you had previously, even if the website display is saying otherwise (it's a display glitch, and there is a disclaimer somewhere that says that number is only estimated earnings but not guaranteed to be correct). PQPs, for a ticket issued on 016 stock, will be earned based on whatever the (1) airfare, (2) surcharge [Q], (3) stopover [S], and (4) international surcharge [YQ] totals come out to. If you want to check what those values are, you can look at the receipt for the itinerary where it breaks down the fare, surcharges and taxes (I think, when applicable, the Q surcharge and S stopover fee get added into the airfare component on the receipt).
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
I'm *G via AC and UA Silver via Marriott.

I understand it's not the highest chance to get complimentary upgrades, but for my own interest. Does UA consider *G from other programs for complimentary upgrades? Secondly, would they see my UA status if I credit to AC?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by loganre17
I'm *G via AC and UA Silver via Marriott.

I understand it's not the highest chance to get complimentary upgrades, but for my own interest. Does UA consider *G from other programs for complimentary upgrades? Secondly, would they see my UA status if I credit to AC?
No and no.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:40 am

Been paying attention to redemptions from Asia to LAX around Thanksgiving time. Sadly, today, all major cities in East Asia to LAX on Friday, Saturday, Sunday have doubled in price.

Does this happen every year? What are the chances they redemption rates get back to what it was last week?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
Been paying attention to redemptions from Asia to LAX around Thanksgiving time. Sadly, today, all major cities in East Asia to LAX on Friday, Saturday, Sunday have doubled in price.

Does this happen every year? What are the chances they redemption rates get back to what it was last week?
Awards on UA or partner awards? Do you have an example of which cities you're looking at? Japan has recently reopened so there will be strong booking demand to Tokyo.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

UA award pricing is dynamic, and changes like this are not uncommon. While it's possible prices will drop, in this situation, with limited seats and high demand, it's very unlikely. Note as well that UA just did a website "upgrade" and it's certainly possible there's a correlation. Would be interested to know if prices on partner metal have increased, as that would reflect an underlying change in UA's pricing model, since those prices are fixed.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:17 am
Formerly known as scootr29

How do I use points to upgrade to first class. I need to burn some points.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SSF556
How do I use points to upgrade to first class. I need to burn some points.
More details on your travel plans would help. Where? When?
UA / domestic flights? Go to you online reservation and select the upgrade option. Note upgrades can be difficult even with status, with status very difficult.
Partners flights?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA award pricing is dynamic, and changes like this are not uncommon. While it's possible prices will drop, in this situation, with limited seats and high demand, it's very unlikely. Note as well that UA just did a website "upgrade" and it's certainly possible there's a correlation. Would be interested to know if prices on partner metal have increased, as that would reflect an underlying change in UA's pricing model, since those prices are fixed.
Tokyo
Taipei
Seoul
Saigon
Bangkok
Singapore
Manilla

They used to be Savers but now most are YN at 80k for economy. A combo of UA and Partner
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:22 am

Tokyo
Taipei
Seoul
Saigon
Bangkok
Singapore
Manilla

They used to be Savers but now most are YN at 80k for economy. A combo of UA and Partner
YN means UA metal. Partner metal is X or I only.

I see LAX/SFO-TYO for 38.5k on NH metal and 35k on UA metal on random November dates. That's X/XN inventory.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:30 am

YN means UA metal. Partner metal is X or I only.
That's good I think? It must mean EVA pulled all their availability.

I see LAX/SFO-TYO for 38.5k on NH metal and 35k on UA metal on random November dates. That's X/XN inventory.
I got a 88k biz on ANA going to Asia by waiting until 2 weeks before. But coming back for Thanksgiving weekend seems hard to get a good deal now I probably won't be able to risk it by waiting like I did for the flight to Asia.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:37 am

That's good I think? It must mean EVA pulled all their availability.
I got a 88k biz on ANA going to Asia by waiting until 2 weeks before. But coming back for Thanksgiving weekend seems hard to get a good deal now I probably won't be able to risk it by waiting like I did for the flight to Asia.
It's possible prices will go down, but I think it's unlikely at this point.

If you have transferable points currency (Amex, Chase, etc.), it's worth checking across a range of carriers, including DL, SQ, BA, etc. AS is really good for JL awards.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:43 am

It's possible prices will go down, but I think it's unlikely at this point.

If you have transferable points currency (Amex, Chase, etc.), it's worth checking across a range of carriers, including DL, SQ, BA, etc. AS is really good for JL awards.
I never good deals on Skyteam (Flying Blue) or One World (BA). SQ is pretty much impossible without waitlist.

Saw DL 56k Econ redemption for Non-stop ($1200 cash). Pretty good value
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:17 am

I never good deals on Skyteam (Flying Blue) or One World (BA). SQ is pretty much impossible without waitlist.

Saw DL 56k Econ redemption for Non-stop ($1200 cash). Pretty good value
If you don't check, you definitely won't find anything. I've had success over the years being very flexible and willing to book through multiple programs, including UA, DL, AS, AA, SQ, VS, BA, CX, AF, AV, and AC.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AS is a valuable program still with fixed award chart. You can transfer into AS from hotel currencies but much easier/better to earn via flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.