Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Waitlist priority for all flights

1. United Global Services® requests
  2. PlusPoints upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
  3. Premier status of the traveler*
  4. Fare class
  5. Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders and Presidential Plus cardholders
  6. United Corporate Preferred participants
  7. United Chase Cardmembers with $25,000 in annual spending
  8. Date and time of request
Thanks (again). For some reason, I had in my mind that check -in/TOR made more difference.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Others have answered already. but in my opinion it's importance goes down as you have lower (or no level status). My gut feeling is the lower your status the less likely you're going to run into someone also at your status level and fare class also trying to upgrade where the tiebreaker would be meaningful (and that assumes there was no one with a higher status who didn't snatch the upgrade away already). As a GS/1K there is a decent chance it could break a tie in a meaningful way (certainly more so then the time of upgrade request that some people like to worry about ). And there are of course other reasons for having the card when you're flying that frequently (annual United club membership included in the annual fee, travel insurance benefit, additional savings on award tickets, etc).
Yea, I carry the Infinite Club Card anyway for all the reasons stated and more.

FWIW, at the risk of going a little off topic, I book 98% of my flights through corporate travel and the fare class seems to be all over the place with the prices only marginally less than a direct book. Perhaps that will change when the company moves to another TA post merger with 4x the employee pool. I'll make 1K pretty soon, probably the next billing cycle when I hit another spend threshold, or at the very latest my currently latest planned flight DEN-DUL 11-21 (man, haven't been through there in 10 years.)
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 2ptraveler
For some reason, I had in my mind that check -in/TOR made more difference. ...
The credit card / Corprorate Preferred factors are relatively new, sometime in late 2018

Originally Posted by 2ptraveler
I book 98% of my flights through corporate travel and the fare class seems to be all over the place with the prices only marginally less than a direct book. ...
corporate discounts for discount economy is relatively minor a few %, better for full fare Y or J and best for intenrtional J.
jsloan and 2ptraveler like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
The credit card / Corprorate Preferred factors are relatively new, sometime in late 2018

corporate discounts for discount economy is relatively minor a few %, better for full fare Y or J and best for intenrtional J.
We'll see about that when I book travel to GU next year. Asking for an exception to book business (P+) on available routes, then hope to move up with PP. Again, OT and should probably be discussed in another thread when the time comes.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:34 am

1K question

Three weeks after making 1K - and that showing on United website - LHR-ORD boarding pass still showed only Platinum status. Is this normal?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dubsman
Three weeks after making 1K - and that showing on United website - LHR-ORD boarding pass still showed only Platinum status. Is this normal?
No -- ask the GA or UC agent, to check you out and back in. Should have worked when you checked in.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Would putting my *A Gold FF (ANA) on my award flight with upgraded seat negate any PQP earned for that upgrade? The flight was booked using UA miles and the upgrade was cash.

Trying to get early boarding and lounge benefits, but not sure if it's worth it. My gut says that I wouldn't get the PQP but wanted to see if I was mistaken.

Secondary question: Is anyone familiar with the UA Quest card award rebate? Wondering if the UA FF has to be attached for that benefit to activate or if folks were successful crediting elsewhere and still get the Quest 5k bonus.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire
Would putting my *A Gold FF (ANA) on my award flight with upgraded seat negate any PQP earned for that upgrade? The flight was booked using UA miles and the upgrade was cash. ....
Only earn PQPs if crediting UA MP.

Trying to get early boarding and lounge benefits, but not sure if it's worth it. ....
You may be able to still get UC access by showing you physical / virtual *G card.

Secondary question: Is anyone familiar with the UA Quest card award rebate? Wondering if the UA FF has to be attached for that benefit to activate or if folks were successful crediting elsewhere and still get the Quest 5k bonus.
Suspect yes because that is how UA knows it is you. And not someone you booked a trip for.
SPN Lifer and milesforhire like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Only earn PQPs if crediting UA MP.

You may be able to still get UC access by showing you physical / virtual *G card.

Suspect yes because that is how UA knows it is you. And not someone you booked a trip for.
Thanks for confirming! I think I'll stick with my UA MP to avoid risking the PQP and 5k rebate.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Looking to book business class from any US city to FRA and then from FRA to any city in India for 2nd week of Nov using UA miles (or even lifemiles). I know UA and LH rarely release business class seats on saver award these days. But I see some rare ones for tomorrow. Is it just some random luck or is there a pattern of LH and UA releasing minute seats on business? Should I have any hope of grabbing something when my dates gets closer (in 8-10 days)?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I've got OZ*G, traveling domestic with 3 friends, all on the same PNR. I'm the first traveler on the booking. Two questions:

1. The PNR has me + 4 friends on it. The 4th one had to back out. It's a LifeMiles award and the consensus on that subforum seems to be "if possible, don't touch it". Given that, from the United side of things, would I need to figure out how to remove them from the PNR to ensure the rest of us can board or can the rest of us travel on that PNR even with a no-show?

2. Does my *G baggage allowance spread to everyone traveling with me? The last time I traveled with non-status companions as a *G was 2018 and I had no issues then, but I understand things may have changed.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Should I have any hope of grabbing something when my dates gets closer (in 8-10 days)?
Yes. It's not at all unusual for LH and LX in particular to release J awards within a few days of departure. Your odds will be better if you have flexibility on the European connecting points.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
I've got OZ*G, traveling domestic with 3 friends, all on the same PNR. I'm the first traveler on the booking. Two questions:

1. The PNR has me + 4 friends on it. The 4th one had to back out. It's a LifeMiles award and the consensus on that subforum seems to be "if possible, don't touch it". Given that, from the United side of things, would I need to figure out how to remove them from the PNR to ensure the rest of us can board or can the rest of us travel on that PNR even with a no-show? ,,,
The no show will not cause a problem for the others. UA will just give the seat to a standby.
2. Does my *G baggage allowance spread to everyone traveling with me? The last time I traveled with non-status companions as a *G was 2018 and I had no issues then, but I understand things may have changed.
Yes, UA will extend the *G bag allowance to all on the PNR, not al *A carriers do this
jsloan and jamar like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Given that, from the United side of things, would I need to figure out how to remove them from the PNR to ensure the rest of us can board or can the rest of us travel on that PNR even with a no-show?
The no show will not cause a problem for the others. UA will just give the seat to a standby.
Right. You each have your own ticket. A no-show on one ticket will not affect the others.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and jamar like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
I thought international long haul did not have upgrades list
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Yes, UA will extend the *G bag allowance to all on the PNR, not al *A carriers do this
Good to know. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.