Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by hightide
CGK-USA costs 44K miles one way and USA-CGK costs 44K miles one way.
However, when I book a return trip CGK-USA & USA-CGK using the exact same flights that I was quoted 44K each way, in the end, UA only charged me 84K miles. What triggers the 4K mile discount?
I believe that some awards price differently as a round trip vs two one ways.
hightide likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I searched for this and couldn't find anything- but I'm not even sure what I'm searching for. Are there any threads on the best way to travel on UA with someone flying out of a different city? My girlfriend and I have been spending 4-5 days in Central America every couple of months- she departs from BWI/IAD, and I typically fly out of DTW/ORD. She has no status on United, and I have roughly one billion miles to spend.

It seems like every way I book a trip is the dumbest way. If I try to fly to IAD on a separate ticket first? Delayed flight, no delay protection due to different PNR. Try to meet at the connecting point? No club access for her (been using CC passes but running low), have to call to move to E+ on shared flights. If we have to return to a different airport than we started, it gets even more confusing on what I can and can't do with UA.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to run into this issue, but I also don't know if its "solvable".
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPS89
Try to meet at the connecting point? No club access for her (been using CC passes but running low), have to call to move to E+ on shared flights. If we have to return to a different airport than we started, it gets even more confusing on what I can and can't do with UA.
Because you're a UA *G -- at least, according to your profile -- she has UC access as your guest if you're both on the same departing flight.

The rules are actually pretty simple -- if you're on the same flights, she can be treated as your companion.

If I try to fly to IAD on a separate ticket first? Delayed flight, no delay protection due to different PNR

In practice, UA tends to be quite reasonable about separate ticket delays if both tickets are on UA.
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
The rules are actually pretty simple -- if you're on the same flights, she can be treated as your companion..[/color]
That's strange, the IAH UC said different PNR does not count. I thought that was wrong but didn't know for sure.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's strange, the IAH UC said different PNR does not count. I thought that was wrong but didn't know for sure.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

Under the *G access rules, it says:
Starting May 3, 2021, the guest must be traveling on the same flight.
It doesn't say anything about the same reservation.
SPN Lifer, VRFast and CPS89 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: UA MM
Which direction were you going? If this was your return, the UC agent was correct.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Two non-status pax flying LH C FRA-ORD then connecting UA Y ORD-XXX. Will they get UC access? I’m seeing conflicting reports.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Two non-status pax flying LH C FRA-ORD then connecting UA Y ORD-XXX. Will they get UC access? I’m seeing conflicting reports.
From the UA website page on UC access:

Business class on a Star Alliance member airline --
Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their international business class flight.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No, not on arriving partner business class.
For non-status, non-UC member partner flight, only when departing in International Business/First and then Polairs Lounge could also be available.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No. Only for *G.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
What are the odds United will have another Fly to the Finish type promotion. I am like 1.5k from requalifying for gold and something like that would be great.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fbcooper
What are the odds United will have another Fly to the Finish type promotion. I am like 1.5k from requalifying for gold and something like that would be great.
Zero.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Falling from 1k to Gold at the end of this year. I have ~600 PP that will expire in July next year. Can I use them for both domestic and international booking even as a Gold?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by willryu
Falling from 1k to Gold at the end of this year. I have ~600 PP that will expire in July next year. Can I use them for both domestic and international booking even as a Gold?
Yes, you will be prioritized at your actually status
willryu likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:14 pm

Hi,
I'm a newbie here and in the miles arena. I've read this entire thread over the past month, but I'm still overwhelmed and need to refer to the glossary and wiki fare class posts daily! Thanks for providing such a wealth of useful information, and thanks for your help in advance.We don't have UA status yet, but do have miles over the years, and a UA branded CC.

Basic question:
I'm confused about the difference between award and upgrade fare codes, specifically JN (Everyday Award Inventory - Elite/CC everyday business, etc.) and PZ (Upgrade Inventory- Upgrades to Polaris business, etc.) I'm looking to possibly use miles to go from Premium Plus (PP? P+? PE?) to Polaris, and understand this to be a MUA. Since MUA uses both "upgrade" and "awards" in its description, which fare code should be available for this: JN (award inventory) or PZ (upgrade inventory) or something else?

Specific flight question 1.
Three weeks ago I booked a round trip revenue TATL flight, EWR - TLV in Premium Plus cabin, outbound on 4/15/2023 (UA 84). Since we have the miles I’m considering a MUA to Polaris for the outbound only. In searching (on the app) for the fare codes offered for that flight/date I see JN9, PZ0.

When I go to united.com into my reservation, select upgrade cabin, then miles, why does it say “waitlist” when there are at least 9 available JN (award inventory) seats? This was my first clue that maybe an MUA needs PZ not JN inventory?

Specific flight question(s) 2.
I booked my husband & I on separate PNRs because there was only 1 R and 1 A available which saved over $400. At the time I was excited about the low cost of the R and was not considering a MUA request. But now I am. It would not be acceptable for only one of us to be upgraded. Here are my questions regarding this:
  1. Is there any way to join our PNR’s or MUA requests?
  2. Are there any other options to ensure that not just one of us is upgraded? Canceling and rebooking is out, since it would increase the cost significantly.
  3. What are the chances that we both get upgraded? (We’re not elite, only UA CC holders.)
  4. Opinion please: Should I be happy with the amazing cost we got on this PLH in Premium Plus, scrap the idea of the MUA and save our miles for the next trip (EWR - FCO) later next year?
  5. Also, how does being a United CC holder make a difference in the chance of upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.