Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks, both of you. Will message them.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I need 4 award tickets, only one is available at discount save (6500, others are at 8xxx). Is there a way to get this all as single reservation?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dsauch
I need 4 award tickets, only one is available at discount save (6500, others are at 8xxx). Is there a way to get this all as single reservation?
No including the 6500 ticket, but you should be able to get all on 8xxx, and a single PNR -- assuming there is enough inventory.

Like paid ticket, all travellers on a PNR have to the same ticket type.
dsauch likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Not sure where to ask this but if I buy a business class upgrade on Austrian will that increase the PQP for United?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AC 75K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Diamond; Bonvoy Gold;
How to leverage AC *AG, qualify for UA *AG in 2023

I'm not sure if this question qualifies as "simple," but here goes:

I currently hold AC *AG (75K) status, but recently moved to the UK, where AC is less useful. Next year, I'm planning to transition to UA, as my primary destinations are EWR and DEN, where I expect to fly four times/year -- usually LHR/EWR/DEN/LHR.

My questions:
  • In 2023, what is the best strategy to secure upgrades to business, particularly on the LHR-EWR and DEN-LHR legs? My thought was to purchase economy plus and upgrade using MP miles.
  • Presuming I credit my flights to UA, how best to leverage my current *AG status -- lounge, priority boarding, free bags.
  • I'm still a bit new at calculating the various MP reqs -- are those 4 trips likely to qualify me for UA *AG in 2024? I may also be able to credit some random intra-Europe *A flights to UA.
Thanks in advance to all the UA pros for any tips!

.dh
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dirkhotel
In 2023, what is the best strategy to secure upgrades to business, particularly on the LHR-EWR and DEN-LHR legs? My thought was to purchase economy plus and upgrade using MP miles.
That's expensive with the co-pays and not likely to work in any event (at least not with any regularity or predictability). 1K and GS regularly fail to clear int'l upgrades using PlusPoints. Your most likely way to get in the front cabin is to purchase an upgrade either when you buy the ticket or at some point prior to departure. The purchased upgrade prices are variable, and range from bargain to ridiculous.

Originally Posted by dirkhotel
I'm still a bit new at calculating the various MP reqs -- are those 4 trips likely to qualify me for UA *AG in 2024? I may also be able to credit some random intra-Europe *A flights to UA.
Only if you're buying very expensive Y tix - You'll need 8000 PQP, which means as much as $9k in spend, depending on taxes and fees (which are pretty high for UK departures).
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
I have a discounted economy ticket (G class) which does not give any award miles. However, will I get PQP based on the value of the ticket?

It's an Air Canada operated flight, sold by UA. 016 ticket.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Not sure where to ask this but if I buy a business class upgrade on Austrian will that increase the PQP for United?
If the OS flight is on a UA ticket, that a definitive no --as PQPs are based on paid fare and things paid to UA.

If the ticket is non-UA / 016, experiences are mixed -- depends on what OS reports to UA. Many times for these cash "sticker" upgrades, the operating carrier reports the original purchased fare. There have been a few reports cases of the operating carrier report a higher fare class
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:09 am

For LX a bidupgrade will reticket into a new fare class and give you PQP according to that. On LH an upgrade purchased on day of departure (e.g., at the gate) does not reticket so you earn on the original fare class. OS is part of the same group so hopefully works the same way.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Differing Mileage Totals

Hi FT
I have a situation whereby the total miles listed on the main screen of my MP account is 13,500 miles lower than mileage total I am shown, under the banner "Available for this trip", when I go to change an award ticket. What is driving this? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by AnotherUnitedGuy
Hi FT
I have a situation whereby the total miles listed on the main screen of my MP account is 13,500 miles lower than mileage total I am shown, under the banner "Available for this trip", when I go to change an award ticket. What is driving this? Thanks in advance.
When you're changing an award ticket, the miles originally used to purchase that ticket are included in the available total.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by angetenar
When you're changing an award ticket, the miles originally used to purchase that ticket are included in the available total.
And the world makes sense again. Tyvm. Some embarrassment in not ascertaining that myself.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Situation: Family trip IAD to PUJ (Punta Cana).
I'm Premier Platinum. Wife on my PNR is a General member.

Two additional PNRs for Daughter, Son-in-Law, two grandaughters. No status. Other PNR Daughter, Son-in-law, one granddaughter. All either general members or non-members here.

I'm not accustomed to worrying about baggage but it's now significant possible cost and I want to minimize. The website provides conflicting information.

If I understand correctly, I'm allowed 3 checked bags. Wife also gets 3 bags due to being on my PNR. Everybody else pays per-bag.

Is United going to balk if we submit six bags from the group as our baggage allowance? Either at IAD or PUJ? (Experience is that outstations sometimes don't act consistent with domestic check-in.)

How much can I push my status? For example, when checking in, can I drag the horde behind me into Premier check-in? (I intend to do that, as worst case we get pushed to the economy checkin.)

For boarding, I'd normally when flying with the better half just board based on my group number.. can I board the whole family based on my status or will the airline reject? To be honest, this isn't too important given we're all seated together but avoiding some of the scrum is worth chancing.

Guidance appreciated - basically, how much can I get away with?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by gormless
Is United going to balk if we submit six bags from the group as our baggage allowance? Either at IAD or PUJ? (Experience is that outstations sometimes don't act consistent with domestic check-in.) ....
No, just don't make a big deal about it -- or you may get ask, did you personally pack these bags question.

I suspect there will be additional bags, 6 bags for a week? for 9 people isn't going to be enough by far.

Originally Posted by gormless
.... How much can I push my status? For example, when checking in, can I drag the horde behind me into Premier check-in? (I intend to do that, as worst case we get pushed to the economy checkin.)

For boarding, I'd normally when flying with the better half just board based on my group number.. can I board the whole family based on my status or will the airline reject? To be honest, this isn't too important given we're all seated together but avoiding some of the scrum is worth chancing. ...
UA is probably not going to push back but be prepared for the scowls of your fellow elites. You are impacting them.

How would feel about this if others in front of you did this everytime when you are traveling.
findark likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2022 at 7:03 pm Reason: probably will need more than 6 bags
Old Dec 2, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, just don't make a big deal about it -- or you may get ask, did you personally pack these bags question.

I suspect there will be additional bags, 6 bags for a week? for 9 people isn't going to be enough by far.
Yes, other bags. And yes, we will be able to attest to the contents.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is probably not going to push back but be prepared for the scowls of your fellow elites. You are impacting them.

How would feel about this if others in front of you did this everytime when you are traveling.
Completely valid, which is why I don't feel comfortable here. Seems like this is not a great idea. We'll play the baggage roulette but board as a group when everyone is allowed.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.