Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by LGinPA
Basic question:
I'm confused about the difference between award and upgrade fare codes, specifically JN (Everyday Award Inventory - Elite/CC everyday business, etc.) and PZ (Upgrade Inventory- Upgrades to Polaris business, etc.) I'm looking to possibly use miles to go from Premium Plus (PP? P+? PE?) to Polaris, and understand this to be a MUA. Since MUA uses both "upgrade" and "awards" in its description, which fare code should be available for this: JN (award inventory) or PZ (upgrade inventory) or something else?
MUA requires PZ space to be available. A MUA is when you use miles to upgrade a paid ticket.

An award ticket is when you use miles to pay for the entire ticket and is when the JN (and YN/XN/IN) inventory becomes relevant.

Specific flight question 1.
Three weeks ago I booked a round trip revenue TATL flight, EWR - TLV in Premium Plus cabin, outbound on 4/15/2023 (UA 84). Since we have the miles I’m considering a MUA to Polaris for the outbound only. In searching (on the app) for the fare codes offered for that flight/date I see JN9, PZ0.

When I go to united.com into my reservation, select upgrade cabin, then miles, why does it say “waitlist” when there are at least 9 available JN (award inventory) seats? This was my first clue that maybe an MUA needs PZ not JN inventory?
Yes needs PZ, so it waitlists until PZ becomes available (and you're next on the list). The JN means you could book an award ticket (entirely with miles). It will be a lot of miles (you can do a new booking search to see how many).

Specific flight question(s) 2.
I booked my husband & I on separate PNRs because there was only 1 R and 1 A available which saved over $400. At the time I was excited about the low cost of the R and was not considering a MUA request. But now I am. It would not be acceptable for only one of us to be upgraded. Here are my questions regarding this:
  1. Is there any way to join our PNR’s or MUA requests?
  2. Are there any other options to ensure that not just one of us is upgraded? Canceling and rebooking is out, since it would increase the cost significantly.
  3. What are the chances that we both get upgraded? (We’re not elite, only UA CC holders.)
  4. Opinion please: Should I be happy with the amazing cost we got on this PLH in Premium Plus, scrap the idea of the MUA and save our miles for the next trip (EWR - FCO) later next year?
  5. Also, how does being a United CC holder make a difference in the chance of upgrade?
1. No
2. No, not on separate PNRs
3. Lowish, you're behind all elites who are booked into premium plus requesting upgrades with PlusPoints and/or MUA's. On the plus side, you're ahead of any non-GS elites in economy.
4. Plan to fly in premium plus, especially this route. Getting an A/R fare isn't bad. You can still apply the MUA, if it doesn't clear you will get the miles back.
5. 3rd level tie breaker (after elite status and booking code) if it's a United Club Infinite (or presidential club card...no longer offered). Zero impact if it's not one of those cards.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,
I'm a newbie here and in the miles arena. I've read this entire thread over the past month, but I'm still overwhelmed and need to refer to the glossary and wiki fare class posts daily! Thanks for providing such a wealth of useful information, and thanks for your help in advance.We don't have UA status yet, but do have miles over the years, and a UA branded CC.

Basic question:
I'm confused about the difference between award and upgrade fare codes, specifically JN (Everyday Award Inventory - Elite/CC everyday business, etc.) and PZ (Upgrade Inventory- Upgrades to Polaris business, etc.) I'm looking to possibly use miles to go from Premium Plus (PP? P+? PE?) to Polaris, and understand this to be a MUA. Since MUA uses both "upgrade" and "awards" in its description, which fare code should be available for this: JN (award inventory) or PZ (upgrade inventory) or something else?
PZ.

Three weeks ago I booked a round trip revenue TATL flight, EWR - TLV in Premium Plus cabin, outbound on 4/15/2023 (UA 84). Since we have the miles I’m considering a MUA to Polaris for the outbound only. In searching (on the app) for the fare codes offered for that flight/date I see JN9, PZ0.

When I go to united.com into my reservation, select upgrade cabin, then miles, why does it say “waitlist” when there are at least 9 available JN (award inventory) seats? This was my first clue that maybe an MUA needs PZ not JN inventory?
Yes, that's exactly why.

Is there any way to join our PNR’s or MUA requests?
  1. Are there any other options to ensure that not just one of us is upgraded? Canceling and rebooking is out, since it would increase the cost significantly.
  2. What are the chances that we both get upgraded? (We’re not elite, only UA CC holders.)
  3. Opinion please: Should I be happy with the amazing cost we got on this PLH in Premium Plus, scrap the idea of the MUA and save our miles for the next trip (EWR - FCO) later next year?
  4. Also, how does being a United CC holder make a difference in the chance of upgrade?
1. There's generally no way to guarantee it. Watch for PZ2 (or more); then the upgrades would clear instantly.
2. Not great, but nonzero given that you bought Premium Plus.
3. If you'd turn the upgrade if you couldn't both clear, then probably.should do as you say.
4. Not in any meaningful way.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To upgrade paid PremPlus to Polaris, you will need PZ -- honestly for a non-elite that will be a tought upgrade even from PremPlus for EWR-TLV

JN is an expensive mileage award for Polaris, hence there is alot of inventory. The more equivalent award space if I/IN

Specific flight question(s) 2.
I booked my husband & I on separate PNRs because there was only 1 R and 1 A available which saved over $400. At the time I was excited about the low cost of the R and was not considering a MUA request. But now I am. It would not be acceptable for only one of us to be upgraded. Here are my questions regarding this:

Is there any way to join our PNR’s or MUA requests? ...
No, once purchased you can not combine PNR plus everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class.
Are there any other options to ensure that not just one of us is upgraded? Canceling and rebooking is out, since it would increase the cost significantly. ..
On separate PNR, essentially none. If not upgraded before the airport, you can speaking to the GA and ask for all or none but otherwise the reservations will be treated independent
What are the chances that we both get upgraded? (We’re not elite, only UA CC holders.) ..
poor
Opinion please: Should I be happy with the amazing cost we got on this PLH in Premium Plus, scrap the idea of the MUA and save our miles for the next trip (EWR - FCO) later next year? ...
not impossible but if traveling on peakday Friday thru Monday, chances are very poor. Other days just poor
Also, how does being a United CC holder make a difference in the chance of upgrade?
A little, not much -- Status, purchased fare class are the main factors
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
..... JN means you could book an award ticket (entirely with miles). It will be a lot of miles (you can do a new booking search to see how many).
Thanks for the answers. A new booking with miles on this leg did show the JN code and it needed 355k miles!

Originally Posted by jsloan
.... Watch for PZ2 (or more); then the upgrades would clear instantly.
Thanks for your quick and helpful replies! Maybe I'll delve into expert flyer to watch for PZ to come available.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2022 at 8:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies! Maybe I'll delve into expert flyer to watch for PZ to come available.
Unfortunately, ExpertFlyer doesn't have access to PZ inventory. You have to check Expert Mode on UA directly, and there's no way to set an alert for it.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To upgrade paid PremPlus to Polaris, you will need PZ -- honestly for a non-elite that will be a tought upgrade even from PremPlus for EWR-TLV
If not upgraded before the airport, you can speaking to the GA and ask for all or none but otherwise the reservations will be treated independent ...
Thank you very much for your help. (I do need to learn how to use the multi-quote feature here. )

The strange thing about this outbound flight is at 6 months out, when I booked our tix, the no frills economy seats were totally full, and this is a 787-10, so it's huge. I'm not sure what that can mean for upgrading.

I forgot to ask this. Can I reject an MUA if one of us gets it and the other doesn't?

Unfortunately, ExpertFlyer doesn't have access to PZ inventory. You have to check Expert Mode on UA directly, and there's no way to set an alert for it.
Darn. OK, so I may still check it out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2022 at 8:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much for your help. (I do need to learn how to use the multi-quote feature here. )

The strange thing about this outbound flight is at 6 months out, when I booked our tix, the no frills economy seats were totally full, and this is a 787-10, so it's huge. I'm not sure what that can mean for upgrading.

I forgot to ask this. Can I reject an MUA if one of us gets it and the other doesn't?
Are you including the so-called “preferred” seats as having “frills?” They don’t — it’s just UA’s way to try to get people to pay for seat assignments.

All things being considered, you’d prefer a lighter load for upgrade chances. However, as Premium Plus passengers, you’d be ahead of anyone in economy who’s not using an upgrade instrument from a Global Services (top tier, invitation-only) account, so I don’t think it’d be a huge red flag on its own.

As for turning down an upgrade — I wouldn’t advise trying to do it from Premium Plus. It’s extremely unlikely you’d have inventory to change back into ahead of time; and if you try to do it at the gate, there’s still no guarantee of success. At a minimum, you’re going to create a big hassle for a gate agent to try to sort out, and you may simply be told no. (The chances of ending up seated next to each other also drop to approximately nil).
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
MUA requires PZ space to be available. A MUA is when you use miles to upgrade a paid ticket.

An award ticket is when you use miles to pay for the entire ticket and is when the JN (and YN/XN/IN) inventory becomes relevant.

Yes needs PZ, so it waitlists until PZ becomes available (and you're next on the list). The JN means you could book an award ticket (entirely with miles). It will be a lot of miles (you can do a new booking search to see how many).

1. No
2. No, not on separate PNRs
3. Lowish, you're behind all elites who are booked into premium plus requesting upgrades with PlusPoints and/or MUA's. On the plus side, you're ahead of any non-GS elites in economy.
4. Plan to fly in premium plus, especially this route. Getting an A/R fare isn't bad. You can still apply the MUA, if it doesn't clear you will get the miles back.
5. 3rd level tie breaker (after elite status and booking code) if it's a United Club Infinite (or presidential club card...no longer offered). Zero impact if it's not one of those cards.

PZ.

Yes, that's exactly why.

1. There's generally no way to guarantee it. Watch for PZ2 (or more); then the upgrades would clear instantly.
2. Not great, but nonzero given that you bought Premium Plus.
3. If you'd turn the upgrade if you couldn't both clear, then probably.should do as you say.
4. Not in any meaningful way.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

JN is an expensive mileage award for Polaris, hence there is alot of inventory. The more equivalent award space if I/IN

No, once purchased you can not combine PNR plus everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class.
On separate PNR, essentially none. If not upgraded before the airport, you can speaking to the GA and ask for all or none but otherwise the reservations will be treated independent
poor
not impossible but if traveling on peakday Friday thru Monday, chances are very poor. Other days just poor
A little, not much -- Status, purchased fare class are the main factors

Is this three different ways to say the same basic thing?

Does a UA Club Card (infinite) holder carry any extra weight in a "tie breaker" on the off chance it comes to that?

On that subject, is it only basic status, or does YTD PQF/PQP factor as "status?"
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 2ptraveler (Post # 865)
On that subject, is it only basic status, or does YTD PQF/PQP factor as "status?"
The latter receive no consideration as "status".
jsloan and 2ptraveler like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2ptraveler

Does a UA Club Card (infinite) holder carry any extra weight in a "tie breaker" on the off chance it comes to that?

Yes / yes, theoretically it does, but the posts are emphasising how "off" that off chance is in practice.

No, YTD PQF/PQP doesn't affect ranking.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this three different ways to say the same basic thing? ...
yes

yes, but as stated earlier not much -- just as a tiebreak if all the higher factors are tied
Waitlist priority for all flights
  1. United Global Services® requests
  2. PlusPoints upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
  3. Premier status of the traveler*
  4. Fare class
  5. Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders and Presidential Plus cardholders
  6. United Corporate Preferred participants
  7. United Chase Cardmembers with $25,000 in annual spending
  8. Date and time of request
*On flights equipped with United Premium Plus, we will process requests to upgrade to business class for customers ticketed in United Premium Plus (fare classes O, A, R) before processing requests for customers ticketed in economy.

No
2ptraveler likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

On that route, the waitlist for business will probably come down to which 1K(s) has/have the higher PE fare class.
jsloan, EmailKid and 2ptraveler like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Most ties are resolved well before you get to holding a Club card.

Furthermore, in order for it to matter, this is what has to happen:

There must be enough seats to clear everyone on a Global Services upgrade instrument, in any class.
AND there must be enough seats to clear everyone in Premium Plus, not on a GS upgrade instrument, with any UA status
AND there must be enough seats to clear everyone in Premium Plus, not on a GS upgrade instrument, with no status, and an O or A fare,
BUT there must not be enough seats to clear everyone in Premium Plus, not on a GS upgrade instrument, with an R fare,
AND there must be enough seats left over, to allocate only among non-status passengers on an R fare, such that you would clear if you were a cardholder but would not clear if you were not.

I won't keep going through the criteria -- there are too many ORs -- but in general they can either clear almost nobody or almost everybody. I suspect, across all of UA's network, for instrument upgrades, the Club Card tiebreaker probably makes a meaningful difference, for non-status passengers, maybe once a month. The value, such as it is, would be on Premier-heavy routes; if you fly SFO-EWR frequently, where almost nobody clears, and you're a GS on a route where GSes are a dime a dozen, then it might make sense because you might leap ahead of several other passengers at your same status and fare level. As non-status passengers, though, it wouldn't surprise me if you were the only two Premium Plus non-status upgrade requests in the system.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:10 pm

Others have answered already. but in my opinion it's importance goes down as you have lower (or no level status). My gut feeling is the lower your status the less likely you're going to run into someone also at your status level and fare class also trying to upgrade where the tiebreaker would be meaningful (and that assumes there was no one with a higher status who didn't snatch the upgrade away already). As a GS/1K there is a decent chance it could break a tie in a meaningful way (certainly more so then the time of upgrade request that some people like to worry about ). And there are of course other reasons for having the card when you're flying that frequently (annual United club membership included in the annual fee, travel insurance benefit, additional savings on award tickets, etc).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The value, such as it is, would be on Premier-heavy routes; if you fly SFO-EWR frequently, where almost nobody clears, and you're a GS on a route where GSes are a dime a dozen, then it might make sense because you might leap ahead of several other passengers at your same status and fare level.
I suspect it's most likely to make a difference between 1Ks on a hub to hub where UA sells a bunch of the same fare class (e.g, an S, V, or Q) due to AP restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.