Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:29 am

A friend gifted me plus points for a flight from ord to las but doesn’t seem like i’ll get upgraded on this flight next monday

Do the points go back to him or so I have them now to gift to someone else or only rebook and apply to another flight?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by withallthat82
A friend gifted me plus points for a flight from ord to las but doesn’t seem like i’ll get upgraded on this flight next monday

Do the points go back to him or so I have them now to gift to someone else or only rebook and apply to another flight?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, withallthat82
If the upgrade does not clear, the plus points go back to the account that applied them...so back to your friend.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Just booked flights today for next Sept to Japan on UA. When I go in to the web site to select my seats I can do this but it doesn't save it. Any idea how to get the web site to have it save my selection?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Just booked flights today for next Sept to Japan on UA. When I go in to the web site to select my seats I can do this but it doesn't save it. Any idea how to get the web site to have it save my selection?
Sounds like you are booking at begin of schedule -- seats assignments may not stick for a week or so. Try next week
cajunguy likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:17 pm

Bought an economy award flight from ICN-LAX and they offered me an upgrade to premium plus for 200 dollars. If I buy this upgrade and decide to change my flight, will they refund the 200 dollars?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
Bought an economy award flight from ICN-LAX and they offered me an upgrade to premium plus for 200 dollars. If I buy this upgrade and decide to change my flight, will they refund the 200 dollars?
Generally no. It is refundable if UA does a significant schedule change and you cancel the ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:08 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Can a person on an economy award ticket upgrade to premium economy with cash?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Gold
Qualifying for Gold during connection

I'm flying SFO-ORD-DTW shortly and will qualify for Gold after the first leg. I'm curious if I'll be considered Gold for my connection to DTW and receive Group 1 boarding, 8x PQP earned, etc. or if I'll still be considered Silver for that flight.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Can a person on an economy award ticket upgrade to premium economy with cash?
It may be offered but not guaranteed

Originally Posted by sfounited
I'm flying SFO-ORD-DTW shortly and will qualify for Gold after the first leg. I'm curious if I'll be considered Gold for my connection to DTW and receive Group 1 boarding, 8x PQP earned, etc. or if I'll still be considered Silver for that flight.
Welcome to FT, sfounited

You BP may update automatically, flights do usually post quickly -- a lot will depend on the connection time. If status is updated but the BP does not reflect it, you can ask the GA to uncheck-in you and recheckin. For such as small hop, may not be worth the effort.
jsloan and Ericka like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I purchased a fully refundable (first class; is that implied by "fully refundable"?) ticket that I expect to cancel in January. I paid for part of it using Travel Bank funds. If I do cancel the ticket, what happens to the Travel Bank funds?

Also, my cursory reading did not find anything that defined fully refundable. Does it mean just what it says? In other words, I can cancel for a full refund to the original form of payment (hence the question about Travel Bank) at any time until the day before departure? day of departure?

In case anyone wonders, I purchased fully refundable because I anticipate no United travel (with the possible exception of an award ticket) in 2023. Also in case anyone wonders, the United ticket is in case Amtrak, my preferred travel method for this trip, has one of its recurring meltdowns. If I get on the train, I'll cancel the United ticket. Thanks for any education.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by serpens
Also, my cursory reading did not find anything that defined fully refundable. Does it mean just what it says? In other words, I can cancel for a full refund to the original form of payment (hence the question about Travel Bank) at any time until the day before departure? day of departure?
Full refund to original form of payment at any time within the validity of the ticket, including after departure.

In this case, "original form of payment" would mean a split-tender between your Travel Bank and whatever else you tendered. I forget if the Travel Bank refund technically goes back to your Travel Bank of if they issue an ETC; either way i'ts credit good on UA.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by findark
[...]
In this case, "original form of payment" would mean a split-tender between your Travel Bank and whatever else you tendered. I forget if the Travel Bank refund technically goes back to your Travel Bank of if they issue an ETC; either way i'ts credit good on UA.
Thanks for the quick reply, and for the explanation of when I can cancel. If I cancel the ticket (which I hope to do), I'll try to remember to report where the Travel Bank funds go (and if the expiration date changes). My concern was that the Travel Bank funds will expire, but since I have no other United travel planned anyway, I would have lost them anyway. But if the funds go to an ETC, doesn't it expire at the end of next year? In that case, it really doesn't matter, because the funds will still expire, just from an ETC (and possibly later) rather than from Travel Bank.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA MM
Thanks for the quick reply, and for the explanation of when I can cancel. If I cancel the ticket (which I hope to do), I'll try to remember to report where the Travel Bank funds go (and if the expiration date changes). My concern was that the Travel Bank funds will expire, but since I have no other United travel planned anyway, I would have lost them anyway. But if the funds go to an ETC, doesn't it expire at the end of next year? In that case, it really doesn't matter, because the funds will still expire, just from an ETC (and possibly later) rather than from Travel Bank.
To answer your other question, fully refundable does not imply First Class. In fact all classes often have refundable and non-refundable options.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
To answer your other question, fully refundable does not imply First Class. In fact all classes often have refundable and non-refundable options.
Thank you. When I was typing my question, I didn't recall seeing a fully refundable option for less than First Class.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thank you. When I was typing my question, I didn't recall seeing a fully refundable option for less than First Class.
The UA search results specifically show "Economy (fully refundable)" when you search for flights.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.