Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by 2ptraveler
My wife happened to make Silver this year. I made 1K.

If I use PP's to waitlist us on a flight, does she go on the list under me, or on her Silver status? PNR split doesn't matter as it would be the last leg only requested.
She will inherit your status if you're on the same PNR. If she's on her own PNR she uses her own silver status.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
She will inherit your status if you're on the same PNR. If she's on her own PNR she uses her own silver status.
Sorry, I was editing the post during your reply...
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 2ptraveler
My wife happened to make Silver this year. I made 1K.

If I use PP's to waitlist us on a flight, does she go on the list under me, or on her Silver status? ....
If originally booked on the same PNR, then the lower status passenger gets the benefit of the higher status passenger, even if PNR is split by UA at check-in

If booked as a separate PNR or ż voluntary PNR split ? (unsure of this), then the passenger will stand on their own status.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If originally booked on the same PNR, then the lower status passenger gets the benefit of the higher status passenger, even if PNR is split by UA at check-in

If booked as a separate PNR or ż voluntary PNR split ? (unsure of this), then the passenger will stand on their own status.
Thanks.

I ask because:

1. Her status is a new thing for us and I've seen conflicting info (or misunderstood).
2. Last time we both got on a CPU list - due to a weather delay induced flight rebooking, then a metal change due to mechanical, not only did the premier agent refuse to put us in F on one leg (was on paid F), causing the PNR split, but we were split up on the list.

FWIW, the first leg was a rescue jet and the metal changed from CRJ200 to CR550 just hours before flight time.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just landed at DFW and taxied by what appears to be a UA 777 (maybe a 787, it's pretty crappy out). Diversion? Sports charter?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
Just landed at DFW and taxied by what appears to be a UA 777 (maybe a 787, it's pretty crappy out). Diversion? Sports charter?
UA2537, a 777-200 from EWR. 2500 series flight numbers are charters
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:38 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I wasn't sure where to post this question. I hope this thread is suitable for my question. Thank you for your input in advance.
I am a UA gold member and planning to fly from SFO to IAD. Then I found some flights are operated by Boeing 777 variants with Polaris seats. The following is my question:

1. UA does not consider SFO-IAD as premier route even though with flights with Polaris seats.
2. Assuming I am right on the question above, I am eligible space available upgrade.
3. In that case, if I am booked in economy class seat, which seat can I be upgraded to, Premium Economy or Polaris?
4. Also, as a gold member, am I eligible for instant upgrade if I purchase a "B" class ticket? In that case to a Polaris seat?

Thank you.
michaelmorio
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I wasn't sure where to post this question. I hope this thread is suitable for my question. Thank you for your input in advance.
I am a UA gold member and planning to fly from SFO to IAD. Then I found some flights are operated by Boeing 777 variants with Polaris seats. The following is my question:

1. UA does not consider SFO-IAD as premier route even though with flights with Polaris seats.
2. Assuming I am right on the question above, I am eligible space available upgrade.
3. In that case, if I am booked in economy class seat, which seat can I be upgraded to, Premium Economy or Polaris?
4. Also, as a gold member, am I eligible for instant upgrade if I purchase a "B" class ticket? In that case to a Polaris seat?

Thank you.
michaelmorio
1. Correct
2. Yes, it is a CPU flight
3. There is no PremPlus sold on SFO-IAD. Those seats are considered a part of E+ for that flight and can be selected by anyone with E+ access. Note there will be selected early by those in the know
If you are successful with CPU, it would be to the Polaris seats. But this is a tough PlusPoints upgrade for 1K and the chance for Gold CPU are not good. Waitlist is commonly 100+ and a Gold on CPU probably will be well below 50 maybe in 70-ish
So go for the PremPlus seats if available at booking
4. Yes but only if PZ is available which is not common
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. On top of that, it’s common for discount J/F to be much cheaper than B, so it’s rare that instant upgrade fares are useful except on the domestic leg of an international PE trip, which often books into B.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:01 pm

1. Correct
2. Yes, it is a CPU flight
3. There is no PremPlus sold on SFO-IAD. Those seats are considered a part of E+ for that flight and can be selected by anyone with E+ access. Note there will be selected early by those in the know
If you are successful with CPU, it would be to the Polaris seats. But this is a tough PlusPoints upgrade for 1K and the chance for Gold CPU are not good. Waitlist is commonly 100+ and a Gold on CPU probably will be well below 50 maybe in 70-ish
So go for the PremPlus seats if available at booking
I am thinking of taking a round trip flights in the end of January. It should be a slow season. 70-ish on the list sounds extremely top-elite heavy. Even in slow winter time???
Good to know an economy booking can grab a Premier Plus seat on this flight. If I chose a basic economy, will I still be able to grab a Premier Plus seat?
I just checked availability of PZ fares on several flights and found none. I guess they are all taken already. Sad....

Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct. On top of that, it’s common for discount J/F to be much cheaper than B, so it’s rare that instant upgrade fares are useful except on the domestic leg of an international PE trip, which often books into B.
777 non-stop flight from SFO to IAD has a $780 B class fare for a round trip vs. $2,100 or so for the cheapest Biz. But I see Biz class lowest around $1,200 for other non Polaris flights

michaelmorio
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:16 pm

I am thinking of taking a round trip flights in the end of January. It should be a slow season. 70-ish on the list sounds extremely top-elite heavy. Even in slow winter time???...
You will note in What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen? that SFO-IAD is a common entry
Good to know an economy booking can grab a Premier Plus seat on this flight. If I chose a basic economy, will I still be able to grab a Premier Plus seat? ...
Basic Economy fares do not permit advance seat assignment.You would need a regular economy fare and E+ access.

I just checked availability of PZ fares on several flights and found none. I guess they are all taken already. Sad....
more likely never offered
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am thinking of taking a round trip flights in the end of January. It should be a slow season. 70-ish on the list sounds extremely top-elite heavy. Even in slow winter time???
Yes — 50th to 70th in the offseason; 70th to 100th, or later, in the high travel season. Hub-to-hub transcontinental routes on widebody equipment are magnets for Premier travelers, and Gold is the fourth tier.

777 non-stop flight from SFO to IAD has a $780 B class fare for a round trip vs. $2,100 or so for the cheapest Biz. But I see Biz class lowest around $1,200 for other non Polaris flights
Fair enough. The actual B fare on that route is over $2600. However, UA is test-marketing lower “B” fares in some markets that are actually discount fares that book into B for the purpose of bundling E+ for travelers who don’t get it for free. SFO-WAS appears to be one of those markets, so you would have found a back-door into J if there were PZ space — but there isn’t likely ever to be any. Part of the reason that the widebody flights are $2100 is that UA knows they’re more desirable and either (a) discount fares have already been sold or (b) discount inventory was never made available on that equipment.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by diburning
UA2537, a 777-200 from EWR. 2500 series flight numbers are charters
Perhaps the NY Giants?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Any place I can buy a United Airlines gift card? Google didn't show any except my united vacations.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:31 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Kacee
That would have been a function of inventory, not some rule that you get a free domestic connection.
Maybe. Just so happens that 100% of my tickets in the last 5y were booked when that inventory was available!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.