Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:09 pm

This seems like a stupid question but....

How do I view Premium Plus cash fares on the website? It shows up with miles, but not cash.

Trying to book FAT-EWR, dont care if via SFO or LAX. I see basic economy, economy, economy plus, and business, but no premium plus.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
This seems like a stupid question but....

How do I view Premium Plus cash fares on the website? It shows up with miles, but not cash.

Trying to book FAT-EWR, dont care if via SFO or LAX. I see basic economy, economy, economy plus, and business, but no premium plus.
Advanced search by fare class O,A,R.

You will need to take a fare break in SFO since there are no PE fares filed from FAT, so it may be cheaper to book First via DEN.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Advanced search by fare class O,A,R.

You will need to take a fare break in SFO since there are no PE fares filed from FAT, so it may be cheaper to book First via DEN.
Connecting in Denver, I see a flight thats a 787 with lie-flats up front for $700 (after a CRJ from Fresno). But its a short connection - 48 minutes. If I miss it, the rest of the day is just 737s.

If I miss the connection, and the next flight doesnt have first, do I get any form of refund?

If I miss the connection, and DO get up front on the 737, is there any compensation for not getting a lie flat?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:13 am

If I miss the connection, and the next flight doesnt have first, do I get any form of refund?

If I miss the connection, and DO get up front on the 737, is there any compensation for not getting a lie flat?
Yes, fare difference between J and Y is due. You might not like the calculation so helps if you know what Y cost the day you bought J.

Nothing formal, you might be able to get goodwill compensation, but equipment/lie flat isn’t guaranteed on that route.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Connecting in Denver, I see a flight thats a 787 with lie-flats up front for $700 (after a CRJ from Fresno). But its a short connection - 48 minutes. If I miss it, the rest of the day is just 737s.
My point was that recliner F is comparable in seat quality to PE on a 77W, and you won't be able to do FAT-SFO-EWR in PE for much less than $700 either. I guess if you can pick up a 787 in F that's a bonus

Maybe. There's some kind of hand-wavy fare difference for a downgrade on part of a fare component and you might have to fight for it (technically speaking, the difference in price for having half the trip in Y is zero). You also have the option of insisting on the next flight with F available (or another routing from DEN) if you prefer.

No.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and jamesinclair like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:19 am

Thanks all!
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Simple question (I think). I have Gold status but wife has 1K. I'm flying EWR-FRA this weekend and put in upgrade request using miles and co-pay to Biz. I'm about 10 on the list as a Gold. If I had used my wife's account to submit my upgrade request, would I have gotten her 1K status? I think I read that is how PlusPoints awards work but not sure if it's the same for miles. If so, thinking of trying to cancel my request (no idea if refundable) and re-submit using her account to get higher on the list.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmc1
Simple question (I think). I have Gold status but wife has 1K. I'm flying EWR-FRA this weekend and put in upgrade request using miles and co-pay to Biz. I'm about 10 on the list as a Gold. If I had used my wife's account to submit my upgrade request, would I have gotten her 1K status?
No.
I think I read that is how PlusPoints awards work
Not true.

but not sure if it's the same for miles.
They work the same way,. You're prioritized based upon the highest-status traveler on the reservation. The only exception would be instruments from a Global Services account, as those clear into a higher-priority inventory bucket.
rmc1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only exception would be instruments from a Global Services account, as those clear into a higher-priority inventory bucket.
Thanks for that, it must have been the GS thing I read. Now to just keep my fingers crossed :-)
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:57 pm

Do domestic UA award tickets (X fare) no longer include any checked bags?

I see 1 free bag on such a ticket as a *G member (which is, presumably, my free *G allowance). Is that right?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
Do domestic UA award tickets (X fare) no longer include any checked bags?

I see 1 free bag on such a ticket as a *G member (which is, presumably, my free *G allowance). Is that right?
Domestic UA economy tickets do not include checked bags, and haven't for years. One free bag as *G is correct.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:12 pm

I've taken the first leg of a 016 ticketed R/T, the first leg being a UA codeshare on AC... it posted with ~45% more PQP than I expected for the leg and 5% more than I expected for the entire itinerary. Not complaining..... but wonder if anyone has any explanation? Hopefully the rest of the itinerary doesn't post with negative PQP to bring the total in line 😂
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:38 pm

Looking at some domestic UA flights as part of a trip in March, and likely to book domestic First even if it's not really necessary for two- and three-hour flights, because it will help requalify me for status with my home airline/program (Virgin Australia Velocity). Will be arriving transPac into LAX, departing transAtlantic from EWR, and spending several days around DEN.
  1. There are lots of widebody options for hub-to-hub flights LAX-DEN and DEN-IAD/EWR on Polaris-equipped airframes (789s, Polaris 772s), although obviously they're not selling as Polaris (or selling Prem Plus at all). If I book one of these, and assuming I'm originating rather than connecting to them so misconnect isn't a risk: Can I assume Polaris equipment will stick?
  2. There are several 772 options showing the legacy 2-4-2 J cabin, notably SFO-DEN and DEN-ORD (several frequencies per day). Are these likely to stay that way or is there a chance of getting a Polaris craft? I understand they're not planning on refitting the remaining domestic frames, but I'm unclear on how big that legacy fleet is.
  3. If I have no Star status (Velocity Platinum, which is partnered with UA/AC/SQ and maybe soon NH but is not in Star at the moment) but am flying paid UA First (Z class) on a domestic-only itinerary, I understand I can't access United Clubs but what about other Star lounges: Star/AC in LAX, LH/TK in IAD?

Last edited by BernardBlack; Dec 9, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
  1. There are several 772 options showing the legacy 2-4-2 J cabin, notably SFO-DEN and DEN-ORD (several frequencies per day). Are these likely to stay that way or is there a chance of getting a Polaris craft? I understand they're not planning on refitting the remaining domestic frames, but I'm unclear on how big that legacy fleet is.
Obviously #1 is actually #2 ..... (the joys of formatting )

2-4-2 is standard 772 domestic configuration, so likely to stick. And domestic Polaris is not guaranteed as there may be a substitution.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

There are lots of widebody options for hub-to-hub flights LAX-DEN and DEN-IAD/EWR on Polaris-equipped airframes (789s, Polaris 772s), although obviously they're not selling as Polaris (or selling Prem Plus at all). If I book one of these, and assuming I'm originating rather than connecting to them so misconnect isn't a risk: Can I assume Polaris equipment will stick? ...
March, still could change, maybe to a different time slot. Lie flat is never guaranteed on that route

....There are several 772 options showing the legacy 2-4-2 J cabin, notably SFO-DEN and DEN-ORD (several frequencies per day). Are these likely to stay that way or is there a chance of getting a Polaris craft? I understand they're not planning on refitting the remaining domestic frames, but I'm unclear on how big that legacy fleet is. .
Same as above. Chance of a Polaris lieflat is low but not zero.

the 772HD is generally used for longer , transcon, Hawaii but these routes are likely repoistioning flights meaning they are subject to the schedule of the longer flight

....If I have no Star status (Velocity Platinum, which is partnered with UA/AC/SQ and maybe soon NH but is not in Star at the moment) but am flying paid UA First (Z class) on a domestic-only itinerary, I understand I can't access United Clubs but what about other Star lounges: Star/AC in LAX, LH/TK in IAD?
You might on departure, its a bit of a gray area for domestic F -- UCs are a clear no.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.