Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:34 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The globalservices.united.com web site is also still there and I don't see any changes, as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
I emailed the GS team with some questions regarding these rumors and got an interesting reply back from the Senior Manager of the GS program. Here is what I asked:

Later reworded after a non-satisfactory reply:

Here are the replies I received:

After a follow-up email, I received a response from the GS Senior Manager:

Very unclear what that means, but it does look like the GS program is about to change and that it won't be quite as loud and proud as it has been so far.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by GS Senior Manager
We are working to enhance the overall experience for our Global Services customers and dedicated colleagues who support them.
That word always makes me cringe when coming from UA.

Guess we will see in November what they will "enhance".

Last edited by edcho; Oct 18, 2016 at 11:49 am
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
Just curious -- was GS preboarding a benefit in PMUA?
Yes!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
As someone who finally achieved >$50K in united metal spend, I was hoping to get GS next year (I've gone out of my way to fly United metal for this reason). If they do "enhance" it, I hope that doesn't come with making it harder to get in than before.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:45 pm

We are working to enhance the overall experience for our Global Services customers and dedicated colleagues who support them. Over the past several months, we have set up a strategy for the Global Services experience and recently begun taking action. This strategy is anchored on a clear definition – one that provides direction to our teams and set expectations for our customers. Our vision is to introduce a consistently tailored experience that affords a level of familiarity balanced by genuine warmth and personalization. Further, as our colleagues mentioned, we are working to make the program more discreet than ever. True luxury is about discretion. The suite of benefits and the overall experience for our customers will continue to evolve, and the focus will always remain on providing the very best to our Global Services members. There is lots of exciting news to come as we invest in our product and our colleagues. Customers will begin receiving notice in November about what to expect, and we will continue to cascade information in the weeks and months that follow. We are extremely excited about the community we are creating, and we sincerely hope it is one that connects our customers and colleagues around the world and unties us with a common goal.

Good grief. That person needs an editor, badly. There is so much corporate gobbledygook in that reply it is almost impossible to understand what they are trying to say.

I think what they are saying is:
  • We are looking at some changes to the GS program
  • These changes will not change ranking of GS
  • We will be enhancing discretion, consistency and personalization in the GS program
  • GS benefits might evolve
  • More to come in November!

Was that so hard to write?

EDIT: I genuinely enjoy the typo in the last sentence: ... we sincerely hope it is one that connects our customers and colleagues around the world and unties us with a common goal

If these changes are perceived as eliminating longstanding GS benefits, I am sure things will get untied very quickly!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:13 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Years ago, about 1988, back in the days of paper multi-part tickets, I met a gentleman on a flight who had a special card which, if he showed it to the ticket agent, would guarantee him a seat on any flight, even if they needed to take someone off the plane to make room for him. As I recall he claimed that there were only about 5 or 10 of these cards issued by the airline. Not sure if this practice still exists.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 19, 2016 at 1:49 pm Reason: Removed deleted post and response
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by harryhood
We are working to enhance the overall experience for our Global Services customers and dedicated colleagues who support them. Over the past several months, we have set up a strategy for the Global Services experience and recently begun taking action. This strategy is anchored on a clear definition – one that provides direction to our teams and set expectations for our customers. Our vision is to introduce a consistently tailored experience that affords a level of familiarity balanced by genuine warmth and personalization. Further, as our colleagues mentioned, we are working to make the program more discreet than ever. True luxury is about discretion. The suite of benefits and the overall experience for our customers will continue to evolve, and the focus will always remain on providing the very best to our Global Services members. There is lots of exciting news to come as we invest in our product and our colleagues. Customers will begin receiving notice in November about what to expect, and we will continue to cascade information in the weeks and months that follow. We are extremely excited about the community we are creating, and we sincerely hope it is one that connects our customers and colleagues around the world and unties us with a common goal.

Good grief. That person needs an editor, badly. There is so much corporate gobbledygook in that reply it is almost impossible to understand what they are trying to say.

• We will be enhancing discretion, consistency and personalization in the GS program

EDIT: I genuinely enjoy the typo in the last sentence: ... we sincerely hope it is one that connects our customers and colleagues around the world and unties us with a common goal

If these changes are perceived as eliminating longstanding GS benefits, I am sure things will get untied very quickly!
Yes that is some horrible corporate marketing goobly gook that means literally nothing.

I'm ok with discretion as long as I get to board first. I'm ok with DYKWIA and boarding first too. The boarding first part being the important part.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:28 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by Eadward
Yes that is some horrible corporate marketing goobly gook that means literally nothing.

I'm ok with discretion as long as I get to board first. I'm ok with DYKWIA and boarding first too. The boarding first part being the important part.
Can we have a board last with guaranteed overhead bin space benefit?

Pleeeeeeeassssee?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by harryhood

To be fair, i'm not sure this was meant to be a wide spread message. It was a response to a question I asked and was in my inbox 1 hour after sending the question. I doubt he had much time to read through and send it to an editor before forwarding it to me.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
To be fair, i'm not sure this was meant to be a wide spread message. It was a response to a question I asked and was in my inbox 1 hour after sending the question. I doubt he had much time to read through and send it to an editor before forwarding it to me.
Is there an email to send GS inquiries to? Can you PM this to me? Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Yes!
Somebody can correct me but I do not remember GS being called out from group one until fairly recently, around or post merger, I do recall at the start being quietly walked on the plane (international only)by the people with red carnations a few times.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
That word always makes me cringe when coming from UA.

Guess we will see in November what they will "enhance".
Yes it is a scary word,it would be nice to have the dedicated line back,the reality though is other than a few on ground and booking benefits what else can they do to "enhance" the experience.
- More consistency for sure but that is not a GS only issue ?
- On board greeting/check in during the flight -this is very inconsistent and from my experience I get at it least as good and usually better service as a regular business punter on other airlines as I get as a UA GS on a UA plane ?
-We all fly on the same planes and pick from the same food so other than giving you your first choice from whatever it is they serve I can't imagine someone dashing out to get you a snack if you don't like the menu. ?
-Holding the better seats until they have a competitive cabin ?
-Move boarding to 3/4 back to 1 ?

I really liked the GS product when it was less visible and more efficient prior to the merger, outstanding IRROPS is what I miss the most.Don't get me wrong the booking and award benefits I like. From what the old timers tell me I joined MP in 2002 it is what in many ways what 1k used to be at the moment.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Yes it is a scary word,it would be nice to have the dedicated line back,the reality though is other than a few on ground and booking benefits what else can they do to "enhance" the experience.
- More consistency for sure but that is not a GS only issue ?
- On board greeting/check in during the flight -this is very inconsistent and from my experience I get at it least as good and usually better service as a regular business punter on other airlines as I get as a UA GS on a UA plane ?
-We all fly on the same planes and pick from the same food so other than giving you your first choice from whatever it is they serve I can't imagine someone dashing out to get you a snack if you don't like the menu. ?
-Holding the better seats until they have a competitive cabin ?
-Move boarding to 3/4 back to 1 ?

I really liked the GS product when it was less visible and more efficient prior to the merger, outstanding IRROPS is what I miss the most.Don't get me wrong the booking and award benefits I like. From what the old timers tell me I joined MP in 2002 it is what in many ways what 1k used to be at the moment.
Huh?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Somebody can correct me but I do not remember GS being called out from group one until fairly recently, around or post merger, I do recall at the start being quietly walked on the plane (international only)by the people with red carnations a few times.
There must have been a time because I distinctly remember embarrassing myself over this.

I was a PMCO Plat for a few years before the merger and rarely flew anything else. I ended up on an international UA return flight to Houston for some reason and remember hearing the agent call "Global mumbly-something." Of course as a Global Entry early adopter with absolutely no UA status I excitedly rushed to the front of the line.

I was quickly ushered away...

FWIW
DLM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.