Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Outstanding IRROPS assistance at ORD today, when my domestic flight went mx with rolling 30-minute delays. GS found me, protected/rebooked me on a later flight, and sent me to the GFL to wait. When the original flight was reset onto another aircraft, they proactively got me on that one.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by wxguy
Outstanding IRROPS assistance at ORD today, when my domestic flight went mx with rolling 30-minute delays. GS found me, protected/rebooked me on a later flight, and sent me to the GFL to wait. When the original flight was reset onto another aircraft, they proactively got me on that one.
nice!! Starting 2016 tomorrow
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:12 pm

So I hit a measly $27k last year and won't keep my GS next year (at least 99% sure). I'm booking a family vacation to Hawaii later this year and figured I should use those rpu on the award tickets while I still can. The GS phone agent seemed to think that the airport GA might question the fact that I was in FC as only a 1K, and may potentially "bump" me. That seems weird to me, and I doubt that anyone would really want to downgrade me.

Anyone have experience here? Also I'm guessing if I need to change dates after 1/31 they probably won't let me keep the instruments applied?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by laxff03
So I hit a measly $27k last year and won't keep my GS next year (at least 99% sure). I'm booking a family vacation to Hawaii later this year and figured I should use those rpu on the award tickets while I still can. The GS phone agent seemed to think that the airport GA might question the fact that I was in FC as only a 1K, and may potentially "bump" me. That seems weird to me, and I doubt that anyone would really want to downgrade me.

Anyone have experience here? Also I'm guessing if I need to change dates after 1/31 they probably won't let me keep the instruments applied?
I've heard it happen to a few people. Mostly from people based out of SFO though. Sounds like it doesn't happen often though so you should be fine IMO.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My wife just got GS for the first time. When I travel with her, do I get to go with her into GS lounge, through GS security bypass, and boarding the plane early? Does it matter if we are on same PNR?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by physioprof
My wife just got GS for the first time. When I travel with her, do I get to go with her into GS lounge, through GS security bypass, and boarding the plane early? Does it matter if we are on same PNR?
Yes to all. Does not matter.

(By GS lounge, I assume you mean GS check-in lounge like they have at ORD and EWR.)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Yes to all. Does not matter.

(By GS lounge, I assume you mean GS check-in lounge like they have at ORD and EWR.)
Woot!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TOPIC CHECK

There is a specific thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2016-a.html for folks wanting to post about their 2016 GS status or not.
Let's this thread focus on GS experiences, benefits, general questions including the qualification process -- but actual 2016 status is best for the other thread (and for those looking for GS information don't need to weigh thru lots of status updates).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Seems like there will be a lot more GS this year, bar seems lowered...Will start finding out in a couple days
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Seems like there will be a lot more GS this year, bar seems lowered...Will start finding out in a couple days
I think UA is pretty careful about designating a certain percentage of the overall MP program as GS. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to read too much into the 2016 qualification thread.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Seems like GS is the new 1K if people make it with spent below 40k.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS
What's the deal with complimentary Marriot Platinum status? Is that still a thing for GS members? What's the procedure for obtaining that?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by flyinjer
What's the deal with complimentary Marriot Platinum status? Is that still a thing for GS members? What's the procedure for obtaining that?
There's a link under MP New & Offers. If you recall last year, we had to register and given Gold, then received notification a bit later that GS folks get Platinum. My Marriott account page still says Platinum, but I don't know when Marriott accounts roll over.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by RealFan
I think UA is pretty careful about designating a certain percentage of the overall MP program as GS. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to read too much into the 2016 qualification thread.
I hope this is the case.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Seems like GS is the new 1K if people make it with spent below 40k.
That's my concern.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Or is this indicative of a lot of GS who gave up on UA last year and are now all over at DL?

We're seeing everyone getting GS but we're not seeing all the 2015 GS who are no longer in 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.