FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1736140-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-2016-a.html)

wxguy Jan 3, 2016 12:07 pm

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Outstanding IRROPS assistance at ORD today, when my domestic flight went mx with rolling 30-minute delays. GS found me, protected/rebooked me on a later flight, and sent me to the GFL to wait. When the original flight was reset onto another aircraft, they proactively got me on that one.

manstein58 Jan 3, 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 25954656)
Outstanding IRROPS assistance at ORD today, when my domestic flight went mx with rolling 30-minute delays. GS found me, protected/rebooked me on a later flight, and sent me to the GFL to wait. When the original flight was reset onto another aircraft, they proactively got me on that one.

nice!! Starting 2016 tomorrow

laxff03 Jan 5, 2016 6:12 pm

So I hit a measly $27k last year and won't keep my GS next year (at least 99% sure). I'm booking a family vacation to Hawaii later this year and figured I should use those rpu on the award tickets while I still can. The GS phone agent seemed to think that the airport GA might question the fact that I was in FC as only a 1K, and may potentially "bump" me. That seems weird to me, and I doubt that anyone would really want to downgrade me.

Anyone have experience here? Also I'm guessing if I need to change dates after 1/31 they probably won't let me keep the instruments applied?

edcho Jan 5, 2016 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by laxff03 (Post 25968566)
So I hit a measly $27k last year and won't keep my GS next year (at least 99% sure). I'm booking a family vacation to Hawaii later this year and figured I should use those rpu on the award tickets while I still can. The GS phone agent seemed to think that the airport GA might question the fact that I was in FC as only a 1K, and may potentially "bump" me. That seems weird to me, and I doubt that anyone would really want to downgrade me.

Anyone have experience here? Also I'm guessing if I need to change dates after 1/31 they probably won't let me keep the instruments applied?

I've heard it happen to a few people. Mostly from people based out of SFO though. Sounds like it doesn't happen often though so you should be fine IMO.

physioprof Jan 5, 2016 7:53 pm

My wife just got GS for the first time. When I travel with her, do I get to go with her into GS lounge, through GS security bypass, and boarding the plane early? Does it matter if we are on same PNR?

iluv2fly Jan 5, 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 25968980)
My wife just got GS for the first time. When I travel with her, do I get to go with her into GS lounge, through GS security bypass, and boarding the plane early? Does it matter if we are on same PNR?

Yes to all. Does not matter.

(By GS lounge, I assume you mean GS check-in lounge like they have at ORD and EWR.)

physioprof Jan 5, 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 25969024)
Yes to all. Does not matter.

(By GS lounge, I assume you mean GS check-in lounge like they have at ORD and EWR.)

Woot!

WineCountryUA Jan 5, 2016 10:10 pm

TOPIC CHECK

There is a specific thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2016-a.html for folks wanting to post about their 2016 GS status or not.
Let's this thread focus on GS experiences, benefits, general questions including the qualification process -- but actual 2016 status is best for the other thread (and for those looking for GS information don't need to weigh thru lots of status updates).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

kirkwoodj Jan 6, 2016 5:21 am

Seems like there will be a lot more GS this year, bar seems lowered...Will start finding out in a couple days :rolleyes:

RealFan Jan 6, 2016 6:53 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 25970607)
Seems like there will be a lot more GS this year, bar seems lowered...Will start finding out in a couple days :rolleyes:

I think UA is pretty careful about designating a certain percentage of the overall MP program as GS. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to read too much into the 2016 qualification thread.

Plane-is-home Jan 6, 2016 6:54 am

Seems like GS is the new 1K if people make it with spent below 40k.

FlyHighInTheSky Jan 6, 2016 7:13 am

What's the deal with complimentary Marriot Platinum status? Is that still a thing for GS members? What's the procedure for obtaining that?

kirkwoodj Jan 6, 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by flyinjer (Post 25971077)
What's the deal with complimentary Marriot Platinum status? Is that still a thing for GS members? What's the procedure for obtaining that?

There's a link under MP New & Offers. If you recall last year, we had to register and given Gold, then received notification a bit later that GS folks get Platinum. My Marriott account page still says Platinum, but I don't know when Marriott accounts roll over.

kirkwoodj Jan 6, 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by RealFan (Post 25970988)
I think UA is pretty careful about designating a certain percentage of the overall MP program as GS. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to read too much into the 2016 qualification thread.

I hope this is the case.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 25970991)
Seems like GS is the new 1K if people make it with spent below 40k.

That's my concern.

EnvoyBoy Jan 6, 2016 7:52 am

Or is this indicative of a lot of GS who gave up on UA last year and are now all over at DL?

We're seeing everyone getting GS but we're not seeing all the 2015 GS who are no longer in 2016.