Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I do not believe CPU on XN is correct. I believe you need a qualifying CC for that. Being GS helps for sure (if you hold one of the qualifying credit cards) as you will rank above all other paid and award ticket holders.
I think you are mistaken:
Terms and conditions: This award is subject to MileagePlus terms and conditions and United air travel award rules.
Upgrades: Members cannot use a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on a Saver or Standard Award ticket. Global Services members and certain MileagePlus Visa cardholders may use other upgrade types.
We have reports of non-cardholder-GS getting reliable CPU on XN. I believe it is a benefit.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Ari

We have reports of non-cardholder-GS getting reliable CPU on XN. I believe it is a benefit.
CPU on XN is a confirmed benefit for GS. I've received many. In fact I have a number of reservations now with "Upgrade Pending."
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by kb1992
To force XN, you need T class.

To force IN, you need R class, assuming that you have XN already.
Nice exception: If the GS passenger has a paid F (domestic) or C (international) ticket, then they will force XN+RPU/GPU=>PN or IN for a companion on the same itinerary, with no underlying T or R required..
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wxguy
Nice exception: If the GS passenger has a paid F (domestic) or C (ticket), then they will force XN+RPU/GPU=>PN or IN for a companion on the same itinerary, with no underlying T or R required..
Any confirmation if this works for GF as well?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinjer
Any confirmation if this works for GF as well?
I've never tried but it can't hurt to ask!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by physioprof
No disco ball or glitter shower???
Sometimes after 4pm they turn on the foam machine.

Originally Posted by wxguy
Nice exception: If the GS passenger has a paid F (domestic) or C (international) ticket, then they will force XN+RPU/GPU=>PN or IN for a companion on the same itinerary, with no underlying T or R required..
Hmmm, I was told they only do that on international flights. I had a domestic FC ticket and wanted to bring a companion with me on a saver award upgraded with one of my far too numerous RPUs. I was told not for domestic, but they would open saver FC.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Absolutely. The ability to convert T into XN is a massive benefit over 1K.

Other things I am looking forward to:

1) Not sleeping on the airport floor again (at least for the next couple years) after standing by and missing flights.
2) Plenty of converting T to XN for award travel for friends and family (have already booked 7 tickets for in-laws in the last 2 days).
3) Paying saver economy award redemptions and using GPU's to fly int'l J.
4) Nearly guaranteed first class (as long as I am able to book tickets more than 2 days in advance).
5) CPU's on XN.

Thanks for all the posts with input on how to convert fare classes... greatly appreciated and duly noted for the future.

Happy and safe travels, folks.
Can you explain what you mean by #4?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
For tickets that I book in advance, I am usually able to find a way to clear an upgrade into R with miles / RPU .... Now that I have access to PN, I suspect that it will be rare to have to do battlefield upgrade clearance.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For tickets that I book in advance, I am usually able to find a way to clear an upgrade into R with miles / RPU .... Now that I have access to PN, I suspect that it will be rare to have to do battlefield upgrade clearance.
Don't kid yourself. I have seen many a GS back in coach when their upgrades don't clear.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Don't kid yourself. I have seen many a GS back in coach when their upgrades don't clear.
6 on a recent flight ...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
6 on a recent flight ...
Flying Newark to Las Vegas in a week and I'm in coach. I tried to purchase first but it was completely sold out. It is kind of funny how I've moved from complaining about upgrades to complaining about not being able to purchase first...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Good for you!^

I guess you have been on routes that are less traveled by GS/1Ks.

I have got stuck in coach when with a couple of weeks of lead time on some of the routes flown by elites.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ari

I guess we have another YMMV. My GS wife (my GS MM designee) when flying on an award ticket, never showed up on any upgrade lists or cleared an upgrade until we signed her up for a qualifying CC. Since the sign up she has consistently shown up on the upgrade lists and has a 100% CPU success rate when flying on an award ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Something was alluded to upthread about GS being able to book F seats close in even if nothing is officially available. Does anyone have insight into what this means (or if I'm misinterpreting)?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Flying Newark to Las Vegas in a week and I'm in coach. I tried to purchase first but it was completely sold out. It is kind of funny how I've moved from complaining about upgrades to complaining about not being able to purchase first...
Originally Posted by physioprof
Something was alluded to upthread about GS being able to book F seats close in even if nothing is officially available. Does anyone have insight into what this means (or if I'm misinterpreting)?
Hmmm, bldr1k's post seems to contradict what you think you saw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.