Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Good for you!^

I guess you have been on routes that are less traveled by GS/1Ks.

I have got stuck in coach when with a couple of weeks of lead time on some of the routes flown by elites.
We will see. You are likely going to get the last laugh when it comes to DEN-EWR-DEN trips coming up in March.... That has always been an awful route to upgrade into without paying outright. Will post some results (or lack thereof) a few months down the road....
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by physioprof
Something was alluded to upthread about GS being able to book F seats close in even if nothing is officially available. Does anyone have insight into what this means (or if I'm misinterpreting)?
Being a long time GS, I have never been able to purchase F ticket when the cabin is full.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:16 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
Something was alluded to upthread about GS being able to book F seats close in even if nothing is officially available. Does anyone have insight into what this means (or if I'm misinterpreting)?
It would be at the discretion of inventory management and would be a very rare exception, certainly not the rule. The rule, to the extent that there is one, is *not* to oversell F.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Don't kid yourself. I have seen many a GS back in coach when their upgrades don't clear.
Indeed, it does happen here and there.
16-BF-seater p.s. 752s on short-notice trips are definitely in that category.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Being a long time GS, I have never been able to purchase F ticket when the cabin is full.
Ditto. GS since the beginning - never.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
+2 - however I have been allowed to purchase a ticket when seats are showing as blocked (i.e. 10+2 blocked)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Do you have to call in to use GPUs on award tickets or can it be done online? Likewise, does that benefit require the GS member be on the itinerary?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:55 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Do you have to call in to use GPUs on award tickets or can it be done online? Likewise, does that benefit require the GS member be on the itinerary?
You must call in

Does not need to be on the itinerary
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Yes you have to call. The requirement AFAIK is that the miles and the GPU/RPU must both be coming from a GS account, but not that a GS be on the itin itself.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yes you have to call. The requirement AFAIK is that the miles and the GPU/RPU must both be coming from a GS account, but not that a GS be on the itin itself.
Great - thanks much.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:21 am

GS Benefits explained

I've been a GS member for a few years and after reading through some of these threads it appears I haven't been optimizing my benefits. I see many different posts about upgrades on certain fare classes available to GS and not others and though I understand the different fare classes, I am not able to fully understand what everyone is saying. Is there a post that has already "dumbed down" what the benefits of GS are and how you can achieve/optimize them? Much appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thanks to all for the responses to this question.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Can I use a GPU from P class into ON as GS ?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lakid
No - but they will take your miles and cash....
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by lakid
They let you upgrade award tickets with GPU's..that's their exception... the paid fare class rules still apply (though you can clear into PN instead of R if you have an upgradeable economy fare). So P and Z won't work, nor anything below W in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.