Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I suppose I should know this, but I don't. I know from what I've read in this forum that the "magic" of a GPU is a function of whose account it comes from, not who is flying. So if a GS obtains a GPU from a non-GS, he/she loses the ability to upgrade into PN, loses upgrade waitlist priority, etc. despite his/her own status.

Does this work in reverse? If I upgrade-waitlist my non-status cousin on a domestic flight with a GS RPU, does that instrument carry magical GS properties with respect to class and priority? What about international / GPU?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Did UA kill free stopovers on TATL roundtrips? GS agent just told me that. Last week I booked a TATL award in business with 2 segments (PRG-VIE-BUD) in coach between the cities I am traveling to. I saw that award seats in business opened on the relevant flights and called to move those 2 from Y to J and was told first that it would be 93k miles more and then when I reminded her that that was insane she revised the price to 12.5k miles more. I know the 2 Y segments are under an hour, but figure I might as well be in business if I'm paying for it anyway. AFAIK I should be permitted one stopover and if I booked a J award I should be allowed to upgrade the Y segments to J for no additional miles.

Here's what I booked:
EWR-FRA (UA J)
FRA-PRG (LH J)
PRG-VIE (OS Y)
VIE-BUD (OS Y)
BUD-WAW (LO J)
WAW-ORD (LO J)
127,500 miles plus $150 in taxes

Last edited by BA_Jfan; Dec 31, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services; 3.83 M miler; HH; Starwood; Marriott
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
When the partnership started, I was given Platinum status with Marriott for my GS status. At the time, I just started staying at Marriott's again (Hilton was my hotel choice for many years prior), so this was nice. I just hit Lifetime Platinum status with Marriott this week, so even better I also earned Lifetime Diamond with Hilton at the beginning of 2016 so double bonus!
Can you say more about what is/was entailed in getting those two lifetime statuses?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:47 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by pempel
Can you say more about what is/was entailed in getting those two lifetime statuses?
I also have lifetime Platinum at Marriott, there are 2 criteria, at least as of a couple of years ago. 750 total lifetime nights AND 2,000,000 lifetime points. You can check your statistics on the Marriott web site.

Chances are if you get to 750 nights you should be close on points, I reached the nights threshold about 3 months before I reached the points threshold. I only started paying attention to accumulating Marriott points about 10 years ago. It moved fairly quickly once I started focusing.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pempel
Hilton Lifetime Diamond is 10 years of Diamond status and 1000 paid nights.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Hypothetical question (hypothetical in that it depends on whether I get the GS invite):

If I waitlisted for a GPU upgrade to Polaris on an upcoming flight as a 1K, and I'm invited to GS, would I need to call back and ask that they be redeposited and then re-waitlist again so that I'm waitlisted for PN space? (And on one of the flights, PN is already available but no R - will they just push it through?)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by villox
Hypothetical question (hypothetical in that it depends on whether I get the GS invite):

If I waitlisted for a GPU upgrade to Polaris on an upcoming flight as a 1K, and I'm invited to GS, would I need to call back and ask that they be redeposited and then re-waitlist again so that I'm waitlisted for PN space? (And on one of the flights, PN is already available but no R - will they just push it through?)
Yes, once invited to GS, call the GS line and ask to be cleared into PN or waitlisted. It won't happen automatically.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

is there a 2017 version of this thread and a wiki listing all the GS beneits? for those of us newbies this year, it's hard to figure out what exactly the benefits of GS are.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
is there a 2017 version of this thread and a wiki listing all the GS beneits? for those of us newbies this year, it's hard to figure out what exactly the benefits of GS are.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2017-a.html
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With first time GS notices starting to roll out and with the opening of the 2017 thread (above), time to close out this thread

Safe Travels all

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.