Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
How about GS members ticked in economy but upgraded using GPU into Polaris?
Doesn't matter how you get to Polaris--bought, upgraded, or award--you get to go to the lounge, just as it is today for GF going to the FCL.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Clearing "T" inventory for one-way award took 15 minutes to ticket. She blamed the system.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
When I have transited through EWR in the early AM hours and utilized the GS lobby for checkin / security shortcut, I have always been asked by a guard seated outside of the lobby to present my boardimg pass prior to entrance.
The "guards" all know me. But they are pretty lax about their "screening" in general.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Eadward
The "guards" all know me. But they are pretty lax about their "screening" in general.
Me as well. Say "good morning" and you're on your way
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Agree.

Will be at ORD on Dec 1 and will talk to one of the managers there about it. I can't tell you how many families check in together in the GS room at ORD. Tons!

And if I travel with someone, I always take them in the GS room to check in with me.

Won't go over very well if true.
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I see little evidence of the Polaris lounges being like the LHR GFL. That GFL has much more exclusive-feeling amenities (like sit down meal service) that does not appear to be part of Polaris. I went to the Chicago Polaris event and it seems to just be a step up from current United Club.

I do believe GS's having to combine with all C class folks in one lounge is a bit of a downgrade. It will be more crowded and less exclusive than GFLs. And no self service liquor bar!
So far I see an upgrade on food, downgrade on adult beverages, and downgrade on privacy and the quiet retreat that most GFLs are today.

Originally Posted by villox
It may be a downgrade in space/exclusivity, but I also don't really see how they have any other choice. They're eliminating the Global First product, and with it, the lounges. Maybe they'll consider setting aside a dedicated seating area for GS in Polaris to at least guarantee space, but then let's see how they actually look when they open.

As a multi-year 1K who has never made GS (though hoping for next year), I'm happy to have a vastly upgraded lounge experience over the UCs when I'm flying Polaris. If I don't make GS, it will frankly take away one of the main reasons I was hoping for it.

Also, I'll be happy to be able to bring my husband into the Polaris lounge - something I wouldn't have been able to do with the GF lounge (if I got GS and we were traveling together in BF).
villox, under the old system when you become a million miler you can grant your spouse the same status that you have. Then when traveling together you both could get into GFLs as GS' in BF.

Overall Polaris looks like a solid upgrade for most anyone in the business cabin. Except for GS who will have both plusses and minuses. We'll have to see how it is executed.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
When I have transited through EWR in the early AM hours and utilized the GS lobby for checkin / security shortcut, I have always been asked by a guard seated outside of the lobby to present my boardimg pass prior to entrance.
Since it's a check-in lobby, you wouldn't necessarily be expected to have a boarding pass before entering, would you?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by uanj
So far I see an upgrade on food, downgrade on adult beverages, and downgrade on privacy and the quiet retreat that most GFLs are today.

villox, under the old system when you become a million miler you can grant your spouse the same status that you have. Then when traveling together you both could get into GFLs as GS' in BF.

Overall Polaris looks like a solid upgrade for most anyone in the business cabin. Except for GS who will have both plusses and minuses. We'll have to see how it is executed.
Yes, not self-service liquor, but far more extensive complimentary options from what I gather.

I'm aware of the million miler benefit, but I'm only halfway there and it will take a few more years of GS-level flying for me to get there. So for some GS, it's will still an upgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Since it's a check-in lobby, you wouldn't necessarily be expected to have a boarding pass before entering, would you?
I'm in there every week or two for the last two years and never had this happen. Very occasionally (two to three times a year?) I'll show my MP card or my electronic MP card on my phone. I've never been asked for a BP. Most often I'm just waved through after verbally identifying as a GS member.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Just walk with confidence. That's all they are looking for.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Just walk with confidence. That's all they are looking for.
Hmm. I always show my card or boarding pass when I go through. I feel that not doing so unfairly puts the agents on the spot. They either have to shirk their duties as gatekeeper and just let everyone walk by or act a like a stickler and require that you pull out the BP -- not a choice I'd want.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Sounds like the people policing the regular vs. premier vs. pre check lines are more vigilant than the GS people.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:51 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Sounds like the people policing the regular vs. premier vs. pre check lines are more vigilant than the GS people.
PreCheck yes, but premier area all they say is, "Premier, first class?" I just nod and walk in. Im sure anyone really can do the same, I've never been asked to show BP or anything.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:52 pm

I'm trying to say in a nice way there is little effort at EWR to confirm someone walking into the GS check-in is indeed a GS. This has been our experience.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I'm trying to say in a nice way there is little effort at EWR to confirm someone walking into the GS check-in is indeed a GS. This has been our experience.
Right on point. I always stop and get a paper BP as I like to chat with the Team there. I asked once how they knew that people breezing through were GSers as there is no real ID check by the "security" they use. I was told they did not know and in fact they suspected a lot of downgraded GS still used this approach; i.e., those who used to stop and chat were suddenly in a rush
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by manstein58
Right on point. I always stop and get a paper BP as I like to chat with the Team there. I asked once how they knew that people breezing through were GSers as there is no real ID check by the "security" they use. I was told they did not know and in fact they suspected a lot of downgraded GS still used this approach; i.e., those who used to stop and chat were suddenly in a rush
I once had a coworker do this for a good 3 years after he was GS. He just flashed his old card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.