Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Upgrade yourself? Or sponsor someone else (when I get errors)?
This was for a 1K business partner on a flight in January.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Not sure if this is a GS benefit...

I recently flew EWR-YUL-EWR on an unrestricted B fare. All UA Express metal only offering E145 aircraft with economy cabin-only planes. When I booked the side of the the plane where there are 2 seats - i.e. CD - it blocked off 2 seats on the seat map. I only noticed this when I went to change seats when I was already checked in. Is this just a fluke - when I would move from say 18A to 3D both 3CD would should pre-assigned? But if I moved back to 18A then 3CD would open up..

Side note: EWR-YUL on an unrestricted ticket has got to be one of the worst/best (depending on who you are) $$$ to BIS ratios out there - like $3 per mile flown. Only an hour but we arrived close to 3 hours late on the way up to Montreal so not exactly my best experience but I feel I have been lucky compared to some of those affected by longhair delays.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Anyone having trouble using GS GPU online?

Do you get this error message and have to call to apply GPU?

Tried Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari, same error message. Very frustrating.
Finally I figured out that when GS GPU is applied, the error message shows up if one segment is showing "No Front Cabin Available".

Did people see this nonsense?

It's not an issue with 1K GPU.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did people see this nonsense?

It's not an issue with 1K GPU.
Is this a case of R with no PN?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this a case of R with no PN?
R=PN=0

No Front Cabin Available
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
R=PN=0

No Front Cabin Available
but then you said
.... It's not an issue with 1K GPU.
Was that a different flight?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
but then you said

Was that a different flight?
PN=R=0

Use GS GPU, it shows "No Front Cabin Available". After clicking upgrade, the web page exploded with error message.

Use 1K GPU, it shows "Waitlist Only". After clicking upgrade, the web page properly shows upgrade waitlisted.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Trying to use my GS to get IN opened up. Right now P/PN 8, but R/RN is 0. Which one do I need to open up IN? Also, if I purchase a business class seat and use miles for my companion to get them into IN, I can use a GPU for both to Global First correct?

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Trying to use my GS to get IN opened up. Right now P/PN 8, but R/RN is 0. Which one do I need to open up IN? Also, if I purchase a business class seat and use miles for my companion to get them into IN, I can use a GPU for both to Global First correct?

Thanks.
You need R for IN to be opened.

If you buy a business class and want to use a GPU, it needs to be in the J, C, or D fare buckets. The GPU will work fine with the companion mileage ticket from IN to ON (assuming ON>1) regardless of your business class fare bucket.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:12 pm

Rumor of the day:

I was talking to one of the GS agents at the GS desk at IAD just a few minutes ago and he offered up some interesting information (without me asking, mind you)! Apparently, starting in January, the whole GS program is going to be completely overhauled:

• They are doing away with the "Global Services" brand and replacing it with a Globe logo (not sure where this will appear)
  • GS will no longer be a published premier level
  • When traveling with a companion that isn't GS, they cannot inherit the perks of the GS member. He urged me to try and get an account for my wife as she would not have been able to checkin with me at the GS desk (Seriously?!).

He did not sound thrilled with the upcoming changes. I asked about whether they were doing away with the GS checkin areas all together and he was unsure. Sounds like some seriously negative things are coming. I really hope they don't destroy the best program in the frequent flyer world!

I wonder if this means MM benefits go away since it will no longer be a published level? Will GS MM only be able to share their 1K status with their companion (or whatever published level they have earned)?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Rumor of the day:

I was talking to one of the GS agents at the GS desk at IAD just a few minutes ago and he offered up some interesting information (without me asking, mind you)! Apparently, starting in January, the whole GS program is going to be completely overhauled:

• They are doing away with the "Global Services" brand and replacing it with a Globe logo (not sure where this will appear)
  • GS will no longer be a published premier level
  • When traveling with a companion that isn't GS, they cannot inherit the perks of the GS member. He urged me to try and get an account for my wife as she would not have been able to checkin with me at the GS desk (Seriously?!).

He did not sound thrilled with the upcoming changes. I asked about whether they were doing away with the GS checkin areas all together and he was unsure. Sounds like some seriously negative things are coming. I really hope they don't destroy the best program in the frequent flyer world!

I wonder if this means MM benefits go away since it will no longer be a published level? Will GS MM only be able to share their 1K status with their companion (or whatever published level they have earned)?
Hard to believe UA would mess with a successful product but you never know...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:24 pm

Sounds like in line with the other rumors. Pretty sure the 4MM benefit will remain though.

I did notice that a few gates at DEN and IAH no longer have the "Global Services" text on it.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
[*]When traveling with a companion that isn't GS, they cannot inherit the perks of the GS member. He urged me to try and get an account for my wife as she would not have been able to checkin with me at the GS desk (Seriously?!).
When TRAVELING with a companion? Are you sure you don't mean GS companion inheriting GS via MM status?

Not being able to checkin at the GS desk if you have a companion wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by villox
When TRAVELING with a companion? Are you sure you don't mean GS companion inheriting GS via MM status?

Not being able to checkin at the GS desk if you have a companion wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
That's what I thought too, but the guy specifically told me to ensure my wife is GS too because she wouldn't have been able to check in with me today, at the GS desk. We are traveling together...

I do hope he was exaggerating because that's simply unreasonable!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by villox

One of the hallmarks of GS is that many (if not most) of the front-line employees mostly don't have a clue about the program benefits or where it's headed. I can't count the number of times I've had to explain a benefit to one, or when they've foretold some change that never happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.