Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: UGS, Aeroplan dBlack
So I've been GS for 3 years in a row now and not often have I had a GS rep come onto a plane and welcome me, I believe maybe twice in 3 years.

On Sunday's flight from ORD to CDG, I'm sitting in business with a bunch of my work colleagues (many people in my Global department are GS) and suddenly a GS rep comes onto the plane to welcome my colleague beside me, thank him for being a GS and if he needs anything, to ask her.

I'm happy to be unknown during flights and be on my way. That being said, when she comes up my side of the isle, just walks on right by. No hello for me and thanks for spending all your flights with UA and being GS. Somewhat not very attentive or kind since you are welcoming others.

My thoughts on this are simple, be consistent. Don't only do this out of the blue on some flights and definitely don't only say hello to some people and not others. Better off not coming on board and welcome GS peeps in case you miss some.

GS vent done on UA survey as well - we'll see what they have to say.

My vent here done
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Ended up booking AA up to my home airport. At least they have F for possible upgrade.

Originally Posted by Kacee
N is not active or bookable inventory right now. It's believed that N will be the new "basic economy" fare bucket, but that's not for sale yet. It seems to track to YN, which explains why they were willing to book you an award at the standard (YN) price.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by glx
As a paid premium cabin traveler, my business will go elsewhere, period.

(edit: to be clear: if this is a thing; if not, carry on)
Out of curiosity, where would a person go? What airline has a similar t/xn deal? I would also hate it if it goes, but UAL still has the best award availability around. now if they go to dynamic awards pricing...that will certainly drive me to American.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:14 pm

Is it me or did they wipe all references to Global Services from the United pages?

I remember the upgrade page referring to Global Services members upgrading at 120 Hours.

Before:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160317...e/default.aspx

Now:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

Another is the checked baggage page.
Before:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161003...edBaggage.aspx

Now:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

Not that it matters (much) to a GS member, but it's a little weird don't you think?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Very Strange. Seems like Global Service mention has been eliminated from the entire website.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Seems like they are prepping for changes to the GS name/program.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
hmm, odd.... i would have thought something so significant would have leaked on here weeks ago.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by edcho
Is it me or did they wipe all references to Global Services from the United pages?

I remember the upgrade page referring to Global Services members upgrading at 120 Hours.
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Very Strange. Seems like Global Service mention has been eliminated from the entire website.
Wow that's weird.

Now instead of referencing a 120 hour window for CPU processing, there's a footnote which says:

"Upgrade processing may begin earlier for some customers with an unpublished Premier level." Upgrades.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a move to keep GS benefits out of general MP information. Kinda understandable as qualifications & certain benefits are unpublished anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
LT GS at 4MM is still there:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../lifetime.aspx
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cesco.g

Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I speculate it's an attempt to maintain the mysterious/elusive allure of GS while also trying to make 1Ks feel like top dogs instead of the second tier they are.

Unless they are making a move for additional tiered service above 1k which doesn't seem so necessary. Or, god forbid, abolishing the program.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:45 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Wow, thats strange. I wonder whats brewing?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I know this is a HUCA situation but.... GS GPU

As GS, the rule has always been 3 seats open at 3 days out (72 hours) and they can clear it.

Now, I am having an agent tell me that it has to be at least 3 seats left AFTER they push the upgrade through.... ...?

Am I confused?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
HUCA confirmed... 2 agents said the same thing (3 seats after clearing the upgrade).

Called a 3rd time and the agent pushed it right through.

When in doubt... HUCA, HUCA, HUCA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.