Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Indeed. If you're not BUYING F or J then you won't make GS. Since you note not getting upgrades, there's your reason.
That's not true. 95% of my tickets are economy. 100% domestic tickets
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
That's not true. 95% of my tickets are economy. 100% domestic tickets
Good point, I should've included full-fare domestic too.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Yes you have access to FCL (but not FCT). Look on Lufthansa website for lounge directory, I don't remember the nearest gate of the top of my head. Wonderful buffet and table service, don't forget to get a rubber ducky!
thanks. Here now but, truth be told, it was easier getting out of the old DDR than it was getting in here. Security people tried to direct me away from A Gates, agents at desk said no and relented but I had to show my GS Card. Worth it when you get in but jeez...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:33 am

Good point, I should've included full-fare domestic too.
Mine were also discount economy as well. Honestly I think it's just spend amount relative to miles.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I just got off the phone with a rep at the GS desk and I mentioned expert mode. He's like "whats that?" So I explain it to him and he is like "oh I've never heard of that website." Me "its not a website but a United.com feature." Rep: "oh I didn't know that existed. I don't use United.com because I could just use our own system."
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mine were also discount economy as well. Honestly I think it's just spend amount relative to miles.
Are you sure you're not in on corporate status? UA gives contractually specified numbers of GS credentials to various corporate customers.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
This is an incorrect perception, I've flown heavy international for years, between 200K and 350K, and never made GS (until I hit 4MM this year). It's about the dollars, in all that time I never exceeded $40K PQD, which is the key factor. I've done literally hundreds of TPAC round trip flights from BOS for less than $1,700.00 total, my cheapest, a RT from SFO to NRT was under $600 and I got upgraded both ways, granted that was during the SARS period.
I don't think 40K is enough. I had many years with 40K plus spend and didn't make GS. It wasn't until I hit 55K.

It is interesting to hear 1Ks asking to go ahead of GS on a YBM fare. As GS my domestic upgrade percentage is about 75%. ALL of the flights I didn't get upgraded on I had a B or Y fare - higher than anyone who purchased a P or A first class ticket. The reason for this is last minute flights or changes. Regarding profitability, I am more profitable to United sitting on coach on a $800 one way from DEN-SJC than anyone in coach (even on a full F ticket).

I made GS primarily on domestic coach tickets.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
thanks. Here now but, truth be told, it was easier getting out of the old DDR than it was getting in here. Security people tried to direct me away from A Gates, agents at desk said no and relented but I had to show my GS Card. Worth it when you get in but jeez...
That about sums it up. FRA is the only airport I have been to dozens+ of times that still disorients me. And for the life of me I don't know why the main IFL is in the Schengen zone, which makes zero sense... I'm sure someone has an explanation though.

But as you say, it is worth it once you get there.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you sure you're not in on corporate status? UA gives contractually specified numbers of GS credentials to various corporate customers.
Positive. I book my own travel through the united website
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I also think that a non-hub home airport (SNA in this case) plays into it as well.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
72 hours left, PN=0 but P=1 so no CPU.

Can GS force PN for CPU?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kb1992

Can GS force PN for CPU?
I've had success at T-24.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I've had success at T-24.
Depending upon the situation and the agent, this is the norm. Can be done before that, however.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by kb1992

Can GS force PN for CPU?
Newp.... only at T<24hr after you check in can a GS agent convert any F space into PN, and there are reports that even that is hit and miss. For that to work, you have to be #1 on the UG list in my experience, or in a position on the list that would guarantee you an upgrade at the time you call in.

If PN=0, they won't convert it otherwise.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Newp.... only at T<24hr after you check in can a GS agent convert any F space into PN, and there are reports that even that is hit and miss. For that to work, you have to be #1 on the UG list in my experience, or in a position on the list that would guarantee you an upgrade at the time you call in.

If PN=0, they won't convert it otherwise.
Two questions.

1) Within T-120 which is GS window, if PN>1, will GS automatically clear CPU?

2) At T-24 upgrade list, does a GS supported by upgrade instruments (eg RPU) trump other GS's without instruments?

What if the GS is supported by 1K RPU which clears to R instead of PN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.