Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
GM waitlisted with GS GPU.

If PN=0, at airport, what's the priority order?

Is the GM with GS GPU ranked ahead of 1Ks?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I did. Called many times. They wouldn't budge.
They have at times with me. (Waitlisting for PN with a 1K regional...). Though I am aware this isn't the policy.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:25 pm

What happens to T-->XN and PN upgrade if I lose GS?

Hi,

I've been GS for two years (love it and the T-->XN conversion and RPU/GPU upgrades into PN!!!) but sadly my travel for 2016 dropped and I will not re-quality for 2017. I searched this thread to no avail and wanted to ask if anybody has experienced (or know what happens) if I were to book an award trip taking advantage of T-->XN and/or PN upgrade now for travel in April 2017? I assume my status downgrade to 1K would be discovered during some system sweep and the benefits for GS would be disallowed resulting in more miles deducted and upgrades lost. Curious to hear of any experiences from Flyertalkers.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by aslee122
Hi,

...if I were to book an award trip taking advantage of T-->XN and/or PN upgrade now for travel in April 2017? I assume my status downgrade to 1K would be discovered during some system sweep and the benefits for GS would be disallowed resulting in more miles deducted and upgrades lost...
I may be in the same boat and have made precisely such reservations. I've talked with one agent about it and it sounds like its different from say Economy Plus seat assignments. Once you're in PN, you're in it. The only problem might be that there's a schedule change. Although I'll bet they would still move you to other PN space if it's available (as a GS they typically make it for you even if it isn't available when the schedule changes).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I may be in the same boat and have made precisely such reservations. I've talked with one agent about it and it sounds like its different from say Economy Plus seat assignments. Once you're in PN, you're in it. The only problem might be that there's a schedule change. Although I'll bet they would still move you to other PN space if it's available (as a GS they typically make it for you even if it isn't available when the schedule changes).
Thanks porciuscato! This gives me hope then and I may need to pre-book all my vacations for next year!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by aslee122
Thanks porciuscato! This gives me hope then and I may need to pre-book all my vacations for next year!

You're welcome. Just to add another data point: I upgrade my wife and kids to PN space all the time. That's on separate PNRs unconnected to my own. So, if there were any kind of sweeping process for this, then they certainly would have gotten bumped down at least once by now -- and they never have.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: United 1K
Many business flyers are now buying two one-way tickets to avoid the 75K mile limit. If I do this, will this affect the "hub airport spend" requirement for GS? Or is that only determined based on address on file?

(This is assuming that hubs matter, I've heard they do but I'm not sure)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mitchellh
Many business flyers are now buying two one-way tickets to avoid the 75K mile limit. If I do this, will this affect the "hub airport spend" requirement for GS? Or is that only determined based on address on file?

(This is assuming that hubs matter, I've heard they do but I'm not sure)
Hub airport spend requirement? You read FT too much!

Your spend is by far the main factor in getting GS.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
You're welcome. Just to add another data point: I upgrade my wife and kids to PN space all the time. That's on separate PNRs unconnected to my own. So, if there were any kind of sweeping process for this, then they certainly would have gotten bumped down at least once by now -- and they never have.
That's true...I've done that as well so count this another data point!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Has T->XN Gone Away or Did I get a bad CSR?

Has T->XN Gone Away or Did I get a bad CSR?

I just called to book daughter's XMAS flight. The flight I wanted was T3, which the CSR confirmed. However she said that there has been a change in procedure and they are no longer converting T into X/XN for GS members.

She didn't seem particularly efficient or capable, so maybe she wasn't a real GS agent. Though she made it sound like they have had a bunch of system changes which she is learning.

Has anyone heard that this benefit is gone? It would be nice if they would communicate when they take things away, maybe give us a heads up as I could have booked this earlier.

Or is it HUCA?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Hmmmmmm. I really hope it is not part of the "unanounced" changes that have been identified in other threads (e.g.award space not visible to cc holders). This t>xn benefit has been great. I'm scared to try one of the other GS benefits for fear of the same answer. Anyone seeing issues or is this an uninformed agent?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Been some weird behavior on ua.com. Regular award searches now show "expert mode" fare classes again after not doing so for a while. If someone could confirm the T==>X change that would be helpful; won't waste my time trying.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Sorry for this but what does "converting T into X/XN" mean in layman's terms?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by manstein58
Sorry for this but what does "converting T into X/XN" mean in layman's terms?
If you look at the Wiki, you'll see one of the GS benefits is that you can book a saver award when T fare inventory is available but not saver award inventory (X or XN). You have to call to do this, but the GS agents can and will do this. Except today she wouldn't/couldn't.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
HUCA. I converted T to XN on two tickets over Thanksgiving weekend earlier today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.