Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:58 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
HUCA. Did it yesterday.

Guaranteed you got rolled to a 'green' 1K agent.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Hmmmmmm. I really hope it is not part of the "unanounced" changes that have been identified in other threads (e.g.award space not visible to cc holders). This t>xn benefit has been great. I'm scared to try one of the other GS benefits for fear of the same answer. Anyone seeing issues or is this an uninformed agent?
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
HUCA. I converted T to XN on two tickets over Thanksgiving weekend earlier today.
I did HUCA and here is what I learned:

There has been a system change for pricing award tickets (presumably related to the new restrictive rules) and with the new system the agents are not able to issue tickets at saver prices if the inventory isn't available in the system.

The first agent said she checked with her supervisor and told me the supe said this benefit has ended.

The second agent told me that the system no longer lets her issue saver tickets when she wants to convert T space. But she says that she had a workaround: She would look for a different date when X inventory is available, book that and issue the ticket, and then after it is issued, change the ticket to the date/flight I want. And that is what she did. It resulted in 2 emails, one for the wrong date, and then one for the right date.

It sounds like a bit of a cluster*** and like we will be needing HUCA to get this benefit. Or maybe this will be shortlived, and the benefit really will disappear. Hard to know which it will be.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by seacarl
I did HUCA and here is what I learned:

There has been a system change for pricing award tickets (presumably related to the new restrictive rules) and with the new system the agents are not able to issue tickets at saver prices if the inventory isn't available in the system.

The first agent said she checked with her supervisor and told me the supe said this benefit has ended.

The second agent told me that the system no longer lets her issue saver tickets when she wants to convert T space. But she says that she had a workaround: She would look for a different date when X inventory is available, book that and issue the ticket, and then after it is issued, change the ticket to the date/flight I want. And that is what she did. It resulted in 2 emails, one for the wrong date, and then one for the right date.

It sounds like a bit of a cluster*** and like we will be needing HUCA to get this benefit. Or maybe this will be shortlived, and the benefit really will disappear. Hard to know which it will be.

Sounds to me like it's on its way out... I think in the last 72 hours i've opened up saver business space, used upgrade certs on multiple award tickets, used the companion saver biz benefit... was starting to think that even at my spend levels the GS bennies have gotten extremely rich. *ducks*
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Sounds to me like it's on its way out... I think in the last 72 hours i've opened up saver business space, used upgrade certs on multiple award tickets, used the companion saver biz benefit... was starting to think that even at my spend levels the GS bennies have gotten extremely rich. *ducks*
I sure hope the companion premium cabin benefit does not go away. This is my most used benefit and one of the main reasons I continue to go out of my way to pursue GS.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Will be extremely pissed if t>xn and r> saver business goes away.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:44 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by myb821
Will be extremely pissed if t>xn and r> saver business goes away.
As a paid premium cabin traveler, my business will go elsewhere, period.

(edit: to be clear: if this is a thing; if not, carry on)

Last edited by glx; Oct 11, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by glx
As a paid premium cabin traveler, my business will go elsewhere, period.

anyone have further data points to report here?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
anyone have further data points to report here?
Just booked one today.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Just booked one today.
Was X available or did you need T conversion? (or the business analog). Did the agent need to go through extra gymnastics or have they fixed it so the agent can do it easily?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Was X available or did you need T conversion? (or the business analog). Did the agent need to go through extra gymnastics or have they fixed it so the agent can do it easily?
The new process of converting T>XN is lengthy and extremely time consuming. It took almost 30 minutes. The new procedure requires the GS agent to contact a supervisor and then on to ticketing. Once that was completed, it was an immediate upgrade with GPU to R.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:29 pm
glx

It took nearly 30 minutes to apply a GPU to an award ticket today. Seriously painful.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by glx
It took nearly 30 minutes to apply a GPU to an award ticket today. Seriously painful.
This does normally take a while. Over the last two years, I've found 10 minutes to be very typical. Apparently, it's always been a long-winded manual process.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I saw N9 inventory and tried to add award leg LAX to SFO on existing ticketed itin. I waited nearly 30 minutes and had to hang up. Two hours later the agent called me from ORD apologizing and adding the segment for 25k points plus $5.60. I passed.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I saw N9 inventory and tried to add award leg LAX to SFO on existing ticketed itin.
N is not active or bookable inventory right now. It's believed that N will be the new "basic economy" fare bucket, but that's not for sale yet. It seems to track to YN, which explains why they were willing to book you an award at the standard (YN) price.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
This does normally take a while. Over the last two years, I've found 10 minutes to be very typical. Apparently, it's always been a long-winded manual process.
Agreed - have applied many upgrades to award tickets and it is not an easy process for the agents. I'd advocate for investing the the united.com functionality to accommodate this (how card can it be given it should really just be customer specific logic?), but I'm worried in doing the math on call center time saved vs site engineering time United would simply decide to save both costs and eliminate the benefit altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.