Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by edcho
IMO it just sounds like GS will just disappear and will rename all GS to 1K on BP/Website/etc (while still remaining GS in the backend)... but that's just a guess.
What would the logic of this be unless they were planning on significantly increasing the PQD threshold for 1K to make it more GS-like?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
What would the logic of this be unless they were planning on significantly increasing the PQD threshold for 1K to make it more GS-like?
Interesting hypothesis.. and would make sense to thin the 1K herd by raising the PQD... but the question still remains on value vs $ ... unless they really strive to make 1K the "top tier" is still play second-fiddle to GS in terms of irrops, award travel benefits and just special handling that GS gets.

My spend will probably be slightly north of $45K this year...and makes me wonder if worth doing the same next year, especially in a non-hub station where AA and B6 and DL have stronger positions.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:21 am

Not saying that -- just saying all GSes will look like 1Ks from the public view but will still be separate in the backend (and the benefits for GSes will remain -- hopefully). But that's just an educated guess.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:23 am

Not saying that -- just saying all GSes will look like 1Ks but will still be separate in the backend (and the benefits for GSes will remain -- hopefully). But that's just an educated guess.
what does that accomplish
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS
Perhaps UA wants to make the GS program more secretive instead of having it be so loud and proud as it is now. I can see this as a move towards making 1K's feel more appreciated, which I think is something I remember Oscar saying he wanted to do (something about 1K's being responsible for more than $1 billion in revenue each year).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:29 am

Less inquiry/confusion from the public in terms of GS.

Puts it more in line with DL360 and AA CK.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Less inquiry/confusion from the public in terms of GS.

Puts it more in line with DL360 and AA CK.
Unfortunately CK and D360 are kind of worthless compared to GS. I know many people in each of them.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Unfortunately CK and D360 are kind of worthless.
heh, right. the really only meaningfully visible GS bennies are the departure lounges. i'd say these are going Polaris though I'm not sure that makes much sense in SF.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
heh, right. the really only meaningfully visible GS bennies are the departure lounges. i'd say these are going Polaris though I'm not sure that makes much sense in SF.
You mean GF lounge access on a business ticket?

I'm not sure how Polaris relates to domestic travel.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
This would be really stupid. I don't relish the idea of waiting in the group 1 line with all the gate lice and fighting for over head space.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Seems like GS is the new 1K if people make it with spent below 40k.
I don't think many people below 40K made it.

I am probably the only GS on half the domestic flights I'm on so it isn't 1K. There are a dozen or more 1Ks on these same flights.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
You mean GF lounge access on a business ticket?

I'm not sure how Polaris relates to domestic travel.
No, I mean the segregated check-in areas.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:02 pm

No, I mean the segregated check-in areas.
Those are way too small to be dedicated to Polaris (every F and J pax) customers IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Those are way too small to be dedicated to Polaris (every F and J pax) customers IMO.
I believe they are constructing a new lounge in SFO. The existing GFL would not be large enough to accommodate all the C pax.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
I believe they are constructing a new lounge in SFO. The existing GFL would not be large enough to accommodate all the C pax.
Yup! I am aware of that but I thought aCavalierInCoach was talking about GS check-in -> Polaris check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.