Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I'm pretty sure this will the last change to the program, I'm just going to wing it and get my tattoo today. I'm going to be cooler than that Diamond Hat Guy over on Delta's site!!!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Rumor of the day:

I was talking to one of the GS agents at the GS desk at IAD just a few minutes ago and he offered up some interesting information (without me asking, mind you)! Apparently, starting in January, the whole GS program is going to be completely overhauled:

• They are doing away with the "Global Services" brand and replacing it with a Globe logo (not sure where this will appear)
  • GS will no longer be a published premier level
  • When traveling with a companion that isn't GS, they cannot inherit the perks of the GS member. He urged me to try and get an account for my wife as she would not have been able to checkin with me at the GS desk (Seriously?!).

He did not sound thrilled with the upcoming changes. I asked about whether they were doing away with the GS checkin areas all together and he was unsure. Sounds like some seriously negative things are coming. I really hope they don't destroy the best program in the frequent flyer world!

I wonder if this means MM benefits go away since it will no longer be a published level? Will GS MM only be able to share their 1K status with their companion (or whatever published level they have earned)?
Sounds like they may be turning it into something more like the DL 360 program (which is far harder to get into than GS).

If I was in UA's shoes, it makes sense to tighten up their HVC program now that they are generally preforming better and at least have some wheels back on the tracks.

With DL's 360 program you rarely see any branding at the airport or on-line and the 360 agents work mostly behind the scenes. My understanding is that the program is substantially smaller (requiring spend closer to $100k/yr) which also helps them keep it a bit more discrete.

It will be interesting, however, if UA does decide to narrow the GS program how they will train their staff to put more emphasis on 1Ks.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I'm pretty sure this will the last change to the program, I'm just going to wing it and get my tattoo today. I'm going to be cooler than that Diamond Hat Guy over on Delta's site!!!
Fair enough. Did I not send you a GS shirt last year?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Just got e-mail from UA GS on "new look".

As we continue enhancing the United® experience, we are focusing special attention on our most valued flyers, like yourself. Dedicated, discreet and exceptional service is what distinguishes United Global Services®.

Beginning in December, our new globe emblem will be the unique identifier for United Global Services. Look for this emblem as you go through the airport, from check-in to lounge to gate. It will replace our existing signage and represent our unwavering commitment to provide you with our best service possible.

As we update and modernize our branding, we wanted to ensure a more discreet and prestigious feel for our United Global Services members. None of your benefits change; this is simply a more sophisticated look for our most exclusive experience.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next journey with United.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Note the word- "None".
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
My email included a p.s. requesting that I cease stiff-arming my way through Group 1 shouting "GLOBAL SERVICES OUTTA MY WAY."
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Just got e-mail from UA GS on "new look".

As we continue enhancing the United® experience, we are focusing special attention on our most valued flyers, like yourself. Dedicated, discreet and exceptional service is what distinguishes United Global Services®.

Beginning in December, our new globe emblem will be the unique identifier for United Global Services. Look for this emblem as you go through the airport, from check-in to lounge to gate. It will replace our existing signage and represent our unwavering commitment to provide you with our best service possible.

As we update and modernize our branding, we wanted to ensure a more discreet and prestigious feel for our United Global Services members. None of your benefits change; this is simply a more sophisticated look for our most exclusive experience.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next journey with United.
Was this a reply to an inquiry, or a blanket email? If the latter, an indication of those that are requalifying?

EDIT: I too now received the blanket email. Did anyone who is almost certain NOT to requal for GS for 2017 receive the email?

Last edited by 1015-1k; Nov 28, 2016 at 4:41 pm Reason: updated info
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:18 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Was this a reply to an inquiry, or a blanket email? If the latter, an indication of those that are requalifying?
Looks like a blanket email to existing GSs.

Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:25 pm

I received and my wife as my companion also received the same.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
Pre-merger GSs will recognize that this logo is in fact not "new" at all. It was used as the GS logo from the program's inception until the merger. Glad to be going back to it- it's a clean and pleasing look.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It is interesting they stated "none of your benefits will change". I sure hope that is the case (assuming I make it this coming year).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
The email must be dribbling out as it hasn't dribbled to me yet, but then my surname is late in the alphabet if they sort the mailing list that way

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Looks like a blanket email to existing GSs.

Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by bldr1k
It is interesting they stated "none of your benefits will change".
I'm sure there is an implicit "at this time" :-)
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: united
GS for 17 thoughts?

Currently Global Services out of Phoenix. Several trips overseas full fare business class to India each year. Current spend:

$43k spend
251 PQM
115 PQS
Home Airport: Phoenix

In addition to my spend frequent trips with me for my GF and occasional overseas trips for my employees...

Thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by cbain73
Currently Global Services out of Phoenix. Several trips overseas full fare business class to India each year. Current spend:

$43k spend
251 PQM
115 PQS
Home Airport: Phoenix

In addition to my spend frequent trips with me for my GF and occasional overseas trips for my employees...

Thoughts?
On the bubble. And most who report making it with low 40s spend have higher cpm than you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.