Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: united
Yeah for some reason the cost of the trip over to India dropped this year....significantly....hopefully they give me some credit for all the changed fare spend and the giant pain in the rear it is out of PHX....
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:57 pm

If they going to group 1k and GS together does that mean we Gs lost the pre boarding perk ?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by GSunitedloyal
If they going to group 1k and GS together does that mean we Gs lost the pre boarding perk ?
The email says no benefits have changed. GS and 1K have been able to check-in together at airports with non-GS lounges even before now.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by villox
The email says no benefits have changed. GS and 1K have been able to check-in together at airports with non-GS lounges even before now.
So do any one know how the preboarding will be done will they call us by name or how ?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by seacarl
The email must be dribbling out as it hasn't dribbled to me yet, but then my surname is late in the alphabet if they sort the mailing list that way
haven't received mine either hope I re qualify for next year YTD $73K PQD a little less than last year
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I have GS as a companion and I got the email too.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

No email - GS lifer
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
On domestic itineraries I typically use the ORD GS lounge to skirt the TSA pre check line. Usually checked in online via the app and have no need for an agent. While in stride I am often being greeted by one or more agents, and I smile and say "already checked in" or something. But lots of times I feel like they're questioning the legitimacy of my status. A couple times they ask to see it. Does anyone else have awkward situations like this? Seems like they're trying to enforce the access rules and I wonder if it will help or hurt these situations.
Originally Posted by wxguy
I always just hold up my BP showing the GLOBAL SERVICES status so they can see it as I walk by and say, "Hi, I'm all set!" No awkwardness at all.
Ditto- when arriving on intl flights and going through the domestic check in for GS in SFO and ORD I always have my boarding pass in my hand and there is no problem at all. Sometimes they offer to check the gate for me which is thoughtful.

Originally Posted by seacarl
The email must be dribbling out as it hasn't dribbled to me yet, but then my surname is late in the alphabet if they sort the mailing list that way
Have not gotten my email either, but am still waiting for my acceptance back into GS for 2016! Did get the package in the mail.

Originally Posted by GSunitedloyal
I just flew IAD-CDG and had a chat with a GS agent at check-in. I never knew this was a benefit but the initial change is that non-GS status family members or colleagues cannot check in with a GS member at the GS desk. The special check in counters are not going away. Something better will probably be done at EWR and IAH but at IAD they have too many constraints on changing the appearance of the building so they will keep the current counter for now. Pre-boarding for GS will continue but they are looking at ways to achieve it without GS and Group 1 lumped together.

For me the only change is the no colleagues checking in with you. This is useful for me at SFO when coming in from Asia and we want to get through TSA quickly. But not a huge thing. Actually sounds like very little will change for now.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by uanj
Ditto- when arriving on intl flights and going through the domestic check in for GS in SFO and ORD I always have my boarding pass in my hand and there is no problem at all. Sometimes they offer to check the gate for me which is thoughtful.

Have not gotten my email either, but am still waiting for my acceptance back into GS for 2016! Did get the package in the mail.

I just flew IAD-CDG and had a chat with a GS agent at check-in. I never knew this was a benefit but the initial change is that non-GS status family members or colleagues cannot check in with a GS member at the GS desk. The special check in counters are not going away. Something better will probably be done at EWR and IAH but at IAD they have too many constraints on changing the appearance of the building so they will keep the current counter for now. Pre-boarding for GS will continue but they are looking at ways to achieve it without GS and Group 1 lumped together.

For me the only change is the no colleagues checking in with you. This is useful for me at SFO when coming in from Asia and we want to get through TSA quickly. But not a huge thing. Actually sounds like very little will change for now.
This is kind of strange to not allow family members.

So the once a year I get to take a vacation with my kids I can't check in at the GS desk? This will never work. I totally get not allowing non-family or extended family, but they should definitely allow your kids.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bldr1k

So the once a year I get to take a vacation with my kids I can't check in at the GS desk? This will never work. I totally get not allowing non-family or extended family, but they should definitely allow your kids.
I am not even a GS, but that is dumb. If you are there with your family, then they should inherit your status for the day.

The original premise of this was someone dropping off a college kid and they used the GS desk because their GS parent bought the ticket and that is probably the only way to check in that they know about. This should stop, not the previous.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP

I would speculate that the line is drawn at non-GS customers being allowed to join you only if on your same PNR. No coworkers or family members on other reservations. Pure speculation, but seems like a reasonable method of enforcement.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I would speculate that the line is drawn at non-GS customers being allowed to join you only if on your same PNR. No coworkers or family members on other reservations. Pure speculation, but seems like a reasonable method of enforcement.
Still annoying -- i usually book my family on points while me on rev. That wouldn't work in my situation (and I don't think i'm the only one).

Will they do that for boarding too?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edcho
Still annoying -- i usually book my family on points while me on rev. That wouldn't work in my situation (and I don't think i'm the only one).

Will they do that for boarding too?
I have all boarding passes on my phone, we all have to board together
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Agree.

Will be at ORD on Dec 1 and will talk to one of the managers there about it. I can't tell you how many families check in together in the GS room at ORD. Tons!

And if I travel with someone, I always take them in the GS room to check in with me.

Won't go over very well if true.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I have all boarding passes on my phone, we all have to board together
I'm guessing that won't work with GS check-in lobbies (EWR, SFO, ORD, etc) in the future so you might have to get separate BPs. Then again, it's all speculation (until Dec 1st).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.