Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Just my opinion

Since we are speculating, I'll throw in my 2 cents. For years 1K folks have felt (rightfully so) that UA management hasn't appreciated them. We all remember the "over entitled elites" comment and sentiment by many in the Smi/J regime. That plus the claw back of various benefits and too many RJ's in the fleet have caused churn in the ranks. I've talked with many 1K flyers and their opinion is that most (their perception) GS get there by a bunch of international flights paid with OPM or gifts to corporate accounts.

Considering 1K contributes significant revenue to the airline, they certainly don't want to lose this group. I am guessing the customer facing side of UA will make GS "invisible" to the public. 1K will be the highest tier and there will be no GS signage, announcements, etc. GS will become "Fight Club". We will retain benefits but no public acknowledgment. That will cost us boarding status but hopefully nothing else.

Again, nothing but speculation on my part. However, with GS references disappearing on the website and anecdotal talk from GS agents reported here, it would not surprise me.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Having worked in corporate America for over 30 years, I am never surprised by its uncanny ability to ruin a good thing. I hope this does not apply to GS because it is the best program in the U.S. Skies
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
UA has a "Group 1" mess. It needs to be addressed. I see it easily flowing over into the Polaris Lounges. Hubs will be crowded during some departure times like they are now at regular UCs. Say LAX. What is UA doing with Polaris Lounge space when there are no flights departing with that product? That's lots of down time for valuable space. Maybe GS should have access to the Lounges regardless of travel route or class during defined "down" times. Now that is a benefit. I'm hoping to be impressed with the Polaris product and concept when it debuts live. Loss of priority boarding ahead of Group 1 will diminish the GS "brand".
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:07 am

Just curious -- was GS preboarding a benefit in PMUA?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Having worked in corporate America for over 30 years, I am never surprised by its uncanny ability to ruin a good thing. I hope this does not apply to GS because it is the best program in the U.S. Skies
+1000
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by manstein58
+1

Having GS this year has been a huge upgrade compared to my several previous years as 1K. Rebooking on the next flight out after a cancellation was far and away the best perk of all. Honorable mention goes to conversion of T space, which is apparently in jeopardy of disappearing.

I'm worried for what is to come in the next few months, and I can tell you personally that if this program is stripped down, my spending on UA will also be stripped down, and I will give more consideration to price and convenience than to being 100% loyal to UA as I have in the past.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:44 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
GS isn't going anywhere. They just spent a fortune on constructing the GS lobbies at EWR & SFO and are working on one in LAX.

Perhaps they're going to get 'quieter' about GS and stop putting it in people's faces during boarding, etc. - but I doubt the core benefits are going away.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
What is UA doing with Polaris Lounge space when there are no flights departing with that product? That's lots of down time for valuable space. Maybe GS should have access to the Lounges regardless of travel route or class during defined "down" times.
I can see the access at LAX/SFO/EWR for GS folks travelling in p.s. business class - a carryover of GFL access for the same, still in effect at SFO, gone from LAX and JFK.

Originally Posted by glx
GS isn't going anywhere. They just spent a fortune on constructing the GS lobbies at EWR & SFO and are working on one in LAX.

Perhaps they're going to get 'quieter' about GS and stop putting it in people's faces during boarding, etc. - but I doubt the core benefits are going away.
Most likely the direction this is going. The disappearance of GF will already affect GS members disproportionally and be seen as a cutback by some.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by glx
Perhaps. GS had a CK style "called by name" for boarding instead of announcing GS with pre-boards in IAH last week. This would be a very welcome change from the current squirreling around the lines - more problematic at some gates than others.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Perhaps. GS had a CK style "called by name" for boarding instead of announcing GS with pre-boards in IAH last week. This would be a very welcome change from the current squirreling around the lines - more problematic at some gates than others.
I've had this before, usually when theres only 1 or 2 GS on that flight. But in my opinion it isn't as great as just calling GS. For those of us with hard to pronounce last names, the agents attempting to say it on the intercom and us not understanding what they're saying just ruins the effort.
Also, it might just be that my hearing is getting worse, but I can never seem to understand any names they say over the intercom, it just sounds like they're mumbling.
On an ORD-DTW flight once, myself and another gentleman who seemed to be the only other GS on the flight were standing off to the side before boarding. The agent mumbled something over the PA and we didn't realize she was calling us by name to board. She finally just yelled over to us, since we were standing to the side I guess, "Mr.xxx and Mr. xxx??" And we said yup thats us and boarded.
Its a nice gesture, but I think just calling GS makes everything easier, in my opinion at least.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach

Called by name isn't going to work so well at SFO, where a flight can easily have a dozen GS members on it.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by glx

Possibly eliminating preboarding would be a dumb move -- it costs UA not one penny to allow GS to pre-board before the Group 1 mess and yet gains so much in loyalty. I absolutely LOVE not having to wait in the group 1 line. I absolutely LOVE being able to line up "to the side" and the fact I am even directed to do so by GS agents when they are around. Heck I have even had them take my BP, direct me to a comfy chair by the gate, and tell me they will grab me when it's time.

Sure I get a dirty look or two from the people at the front of the 1K line, but to hell with it -- I am responsible for gobs of money lining UA's pockets every year, and even as GS, business travel still sucks (it just sucks a little bit less). So I am going to exploit the perks of GS for as long as I am lucky enough to be granted this status. And I am lucky.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by harryhood
Possibly eliminating preboarding would be a dumb move -- it costs UA not one penny to allow GS to pre-board before the Group 1 mess and yet gains so much in loyalty. I absolutely LOVE not having to wait in the group 1 line. I absolutely LOVE being able to line up "to the side" and the fact I am even directed to do so by GS agents when they are around. Heck I have even had them take my BP, direct me to a comfy chair by the gate, and tell me they will grab me when it's time.

Sure I get a dirty look or two from the people at the front of the 1K line, but to hell with it -- I am responsible for gobs of money lining UA's pockets every year, and even as GS, business travel still sucks (it just sucks a little bit less). So I am going to exploit the perks of GS for as long as I am lucky enough to be granted this status. And I am lucky.
+1,000,000!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by harryhood

Ditto
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS
I emailed the GS team with some questions regarding these rumors and got an interesting reply back from the Senior Manager of the GS program. Here is what I asked:

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
- I've heard from a number of GS reps at various hub airports that 1K status will be the top tier starting January 1st and that GS will be much more behind the scenes. What does this mean for me as a GS member?
Later reworded after a non-satisfactory reply:

I wanted to clarify my first question. The GS reps that I spoke to mentioned that the GS program will be much more behind the scenes than it is now. Not necessarily making 1K the top tier, but making GS a bit more unknown to the public eye. I've seen hints of this movement on the website where a lot of the premiere benefits for GS have been removed. For example, on the upgrades page, it's no longer listed that GS members receive Complimentary Premiere Upgrades up to 120 hours before departure. The top level that is mentioned there is 1K. This is also on other parts of the website. Is this indicative of any changes coming to the program?
- Recently, i've had a tough time with the award ticket benefits that GS members have received in the past. In particular, it's with using upgrade certificates (RPU and GPU) on award tickets as well as converting T inventory into an economy saver award. Are these benefits going to continue?
Here are the replies I received:

Originally Posted by GS Team
Thank you for your email and for your business as a valued Global Services member.

There are no plans to lessen the benefits of the Global Services program and certainly no plan to put 1K ahead of Global Services, so I am not sure what they might be referring to. In addition, the conversion of T class for saver award and upgrades on award travel will remain. The only news I have heard is the greater commitment to enhancing the program overall.
After a follow-up email, I received a response from the GS Senior Manager:

Originally Posted by GS Senior Manager
We are working to enhance the overall experience for our Global Services customers and dedicated colleagues who support them. Over the past several months, we have set up a strategy for the Global Services experience and recently begun taking action. This strategy is anchored on a clear definition – one that provides direction to our teams and set expectations for our customers. Our vision is to introduce a consistently tailored experience that affords a level of familiarity balanced by genuine warmth and personalization. Further, as our colleagues mentioned, we are working to make the program more discreet than ever. True luxury is about discretion. The suite of benefits and the overall experience for our customers will continue to evolve, and the focus will always remain on providing the very best to our Global Services members. There is lots of exciting news to come as we invest in our product and our colleagues. Customers will begin receiving notice in November about what to expect, and we will continue to cascade information in the weeks and months that follow. We are extremely excited about the community we are creating, and we sincerely hope it is one that connects our customers and colleagues around the world and unties us with a common goal.

Very unclear what that means, but it does look like the GS program is about to change and that it won't be quite as loud and proud as it has been so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.