Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
mystatus.united.com still shows all of the published benefits for GS who are able to login to that site.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:10 am

My concern is even if the conversion for saver remains that because it needs to be manually done it will need to be booked as its own segment. So for example if im trying to book a one way to europe lets sat den-ewr-cdg in biz if either flight is only available with expanded availability i would need to pay 25k+57.5k instead of just 57.5k.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by edcho
Is it me or did they wipe all references to Global Services from the United pages?

I remember the upgrade page referring to Global Services members upgrading at 120 Hours.

Before:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160317...e/default.aspx

Now:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

Another is the checked baggage page.
Before:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161003...edBaggage.aspx

Now:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

Not that it matters (much) to a GS member, but it's a little weird don't you think?
This does not seem like a good sign....
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Also, the sky is falling.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I have a 90 minute connection at PEK from UA to TG. Does anyone know if there are GS agents at PEK to facilitate the connection, like they have waiting on the jetbridge at NRT?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
This does not seem like a good sign....
I take it that since GS is not "published" per se, your benefits are private and managed via other mechanisms.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Super interesting -- was told yesterday at a hub by a GS rep that "1K will be top tier as of Jan 1" and "Global Services will be shifting to more behind the scenes"...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by jcflyer108
Super interesting -- was told yesterday at a hub by a GS rep that "1K will be top tier as of Jan 1" and "Global Services will be shifting to more behind the scenes"...
That would be great if 1K was treated like the "top tier" .. but it's not.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Rut roh!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eadward
Rut roh!
Exactly my first reaction!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:06 am

Sounds like it will be more like AA CK and DL 360. I sure hope most of our benefits remain the same...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Eadward
Rut roh!
While I understand why they might do it, I have to say there is no comparison between GS and 1K, especially in terms of getting upgraded and handling of irrops.

I would spend 1/4 as much as I do on United if it weren't for GS.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:22 am

I've heard this as well but I think the concern is what does "behind the scenes" mean (and which benefits does it affect? upgrades? boarding? etc)?

IMO it just sounds like GS will just disappear and will rename all GS to 1K on BP/Website/etc (while still remaining GS in the backend)... but that's just a guess.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by edcho
I've heard this as well but I think the concern is what does "behind the scenes" mean (and which benefits does it affect? upgrades? boarding? etc)?

IMO it just sounds like GS will just disappear and will rename all GS to 1K on BP/Website/etc (while still remaining GS in the backend)... but that's just a guess.
I really hope the pre-boarding doesn't go away either. That group 1 line is insane sometimes!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
I really hope the pre-boarding doesn't go away either. That group 1 line is insane sometimes!
Not having to wait 40 minutes early in the G1 line is one of the best perks! I cannot tell you how many times I was at the end of the G1 line and there was no overhead space in first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.