Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
For a longtime (pre-Continental) GS wasn't part of the MP levels. Benefits were unpublished to the general public and in my opinion worked just as well.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
At this point the lack of communication on the program is hurting UA. Have GS friend who is front loading other program with beginning of year 2017 travel and will follow on later in 2017 with UA if program maintains its' features. He was approached by another program and really felt all that data a certain credit card club are collecting (id, boarding pass and card) led to him being targeted. The other airline knew a little too much about his travels. Sounds like a theory but kinda makes sense.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
At this point the lack of communication on the program is hurting UA. Have GS friend who is front loading other program with beginning of year 2017 travel and will follow on later in 2017 with UA if program maintains its' features. He was approached by another program and really felt all that data a certain credit card club are collecting (id, boarding pass and card) led to him being targeted. The other airline knew a little too much about his travels. Sounds like a theory but kinda makes sense.
Please elaborate. What program?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Before posting got his consent. He does not want me to comment on carrier but it is Asia based. He did ask me to add among UA GS features values all but among highest is MM companion benefit. It makes home life smoother that his wife has status when she travels on her own as a benefit of his crazy flying.

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Please elaborate. What program?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
among highest is MM companion benefit. It makes home life smoother that his wife has status when she travels on her own as a benefit of his crazy flying.
Totally agree. Mostly we travel together. But when she travels alone, it's so much easier on me to know she is getting good treatment, because otherwise I'm her travel support. Happy wife, happy life.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: United GS, Hilton D, Marriott G
Another perk of GS to be lost, and I did not even know about it. Traveling through ORD today, the GS Agent explained starting Thursday (December 1), the ORD GS counter would no longer be checking in the children (of GS members) travelling alone on GS points, or GS Purchased tickets. She explained that up till now, many children of GS members would enter the ORD GS area (without the GS members) and United GS agents would have to check them in. But not after Thursday. I wonder what other little changes are coming to GS?.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by woodlands
Another perk of GS to be lost, and I did not even know about it. Traveling through ORD today, the GS Agent explained starting Thursday (December 1), the ORD GS counter would no longer be checking in the children (of GS members) travelling alone on GS points, or GS Purchased tickets. She explained that up till now, many children of GS members would enter the ORD GS area (without the GS members) and United GS agents would have to check them in. But not after Thursday. I wonder what other little changes are coming to GS?.
I would have thought this would have gone away when award tickets stopped inheriting status. And I'm not sure why it would EVER have been acceptable for children to use it if the GS had purchased the ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I can't believe people do this. I buy my kids Premier access so at least they can get in the premier line at checkin and security.

I didn't know this was a perk and am glad it is going away.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
On domestic itineraries I typically use the ORD GS lounge to skirt the TSA pre check line. Usually checked in online via the app and have no need for an agent. While in stride I am often being greeted by one or more agents, and I smile and say "already checked in" or something. But lots of times I feel like they're questioning the legitimacy of my status. A couple times they ask to see it. Does anyone else have awkward situations like this? Seems like they're trying to enforce the access rules and I wonder if it will help or hurt these situations.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On domestic itineraries I typically use the ORD GS lounge to skirt the TSA pre check line. Usually checked in online via the app and have no need for an agent. While in stride I am often being greeted by one or more agents, and I smile and say "already checked in" or something. But lots of times I feel like they're questioning the legitimacy of my status. A couple times they ask to see it. Does anyone else have awkward situations like this? Seems like they're trying to enforce the access rules and I wonder if it will help or hurt these situations.
I know many of the GS agents in ORD and am often greeted by Hello Mr. Zambonisk but on more than one occasion I've been asked if I'm GS when trying to skip the huddled masses waiting in the PRE-Check line if I don't know any of the GS agents. Don't know about others but I'd rather they police this so others don't abuse it.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I always just hold up my BP showing the GLOBAL SERVICES status so they can see it as I walk by and say, "Hi, I'm all set!" No awkwardness at all.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wxguy
I always just hold up my BP showing the GLOBAL SERVICES status so they can see it as I walk by and say, "Hi, I'm all set!" No awkwardness at all.
This, or if BP is on my phone I walk in holding it up so they can see the gold labeling.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
  • They are doing away with the "Global Services" brand and replacing it with a Globe logo (not sure where this will appear)
For those curious, an example can be seen here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27536318-post2139.html

It is not the United Globe. It is the Global Services Globe. They are not doing away with the Global Services brand, just the public text.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
They must have had more problems with people identifying as Global or Global Entry than previously thought. As long as the program does not change, I like that we will now just be a symbol instead of name. I kind of feel like Prince.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
As long as the program does not change, I like that we will now just be a symbol instead of name. I kind of feel like Prince.
We can get tattoos! Will wait a little while in case they change it soon though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.