Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zambonisk
I also know exactly who both of you are talking about because of her distinctive accent, as soon as I hear her say Global Services, I immediately HUCA. Been doing it for a few years after having less than stellar interactions with her on multiple occasions. Perhaps I'll give her a chance next time I get her if she has actually improved.
I don't think she has improved, but compared to the new batch of general phone reps, she would be considered the golden ticket.

Also forgot to mention the second time I called, the guy just said "thanks for calling united" and then a few seconds later his cell phone starts ringing in the background. It's not a big deal, but I think when we call in on the GS line, we just get bumped to the top of the general line. I used to get through almost immediately, but lately hold times are over 5 minutes every time I call.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
... It's not a big deal, but I think when we call in on the GS line, we just get bumped to the top of the general line. ...
That is what happened to the "Dedicated 1K line"

Originally Posted by Chukiechz
...I used to get through almost immediately, but lately hold times are over 5 minutes every time I call.
Interesting -- I don't call often and this year am just a Plat (or a few more weeks) but I can not remember a five minute wait.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is what happened to the "Dedicated 1K line"

Interesting -- I don't call often and this year am just a Plat (or a few more weeks) but I can not remember a five minute wait.
I am Tokyo based and call in at some odd times, I have 10 min waits several times this year, the dedicated GS line went a couple of years ago
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
With all the talk of how GS is going to become more behind the scenes like AA CK and DL360, it was interesting to see the news today about how AA is bringing CK out in to the open more, following UA. Lot of the same stuff we have now, earlier upgrades, announced boarding, CK printed on boarding pass (think it just used to say EXP before).
Just think its interesting how they are pretty much following each other, but by doing that they are going in complete opposite directions.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
GS email address?

I have had really great service recently from emailing MP about some award, mileage credit issues etc.

3 separate issues and all responded to and corrected within 12 hours.

Is there a general GS email that handles other issues (for example, I never received an ETC email from a ticket change).

Or, should I just keep emailing MP thought the UA website?

Sometimes emailing is just easier than picking up the phone when I am busy.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: UA GS
Yes there is. Check on the top of the GS website: https://globalservices.united.com.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
It's on the back of your GS card.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2mm
Best lounge in FRA if traveling on United businessfirst

I'm traveling from FRA-SFO next week in BusinessFirst (not GF). What is my best lounge option? Any special perks for global services if not in GF? Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by kj5hp
I'm traveling from FRA-SFO next week in BusinessFirst (not GF). What is my best lounge option? Any special perks for global services if not in GF? Thanks.
The SEN lounge is probably your best bet. Not much special treatment when flying BF, unfortunately.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
The SEN lounge is probably your best bet. Not much special treatment when flying BF, unfortunately.
I haven't been through FRA in quite a while... and not as a GS. I thought GS could access the F lounge when flying J....?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I haven't been through FRA in quite a while... and not as a GS. I thought GS could access the F lounge when flying J....?
We have access to the LH F lounge at FRA and MUC when flying GF as GS. This benefit is mentioned on the GS website under "Lounges".

Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
We have access to the LH F lounge at FRA and MUC when flying GF as GS. This benefit is mentioned on the GS website under "Lounges".

Right, but unfortunately not the FCT.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Error using GS GPU

Anyone having trouble using GS GPU online?

Do you get this error message and have to call to apply GPU?

Tried Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari, same error message. Very frustrating.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just applied one GPU online about 30 mins ago and it processed instantly.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just applied one GPU online about 30 mins ago and it processed instantly.
Upgrade yourself? Or sponsor someone else (when I get errors)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.