Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Go to the LH lounge (Senator and business are about the same). A little longer trek in A/B, but really on a par with the UA GFL at IAD (slightly better food and ambiance, slightly lesser beverage quality).
Or maybe the TK lounge will be open by then
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. Thought I read something about a Chinese restaurant.
that might be more about how the place smells when the hot plate is set at too high of a temp
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Is there a day the GS agents all take off?

I had a record day today -- talked to no less than 5 agents on the GS line. Everyone was an idiot who needed to have the rules explained to them. Every one made sure to ask me about a rental car (yeah, I need a rental car in Hong Kong!). So I'm pretty sure none was an actual GS agent.

I'm wondering if Thursday is a training day for the real GS agents or if it was just my luck today.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I had a record day today -- talked to no less than 5 agents on the GS line. Everyone was an idiot who needed to have the rules explained to them. Every one made sure to ask me about a rental car (yeah, I need a rental car in Hong Kong!). So I'm pretty sure none was an actual GS agent.

I'm wondering if Thursday is a training day for the real GS agents or if it was just my luck today.
You and me both - wasn't a good day for GS service at all - was hung up on twice (well, disconnected) and then left stranded for the evening due to mechanical issues....
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

I get asked the stupid rental car and hotel questions almost every time I call in.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Never. I must be lucky.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

GS line went a couple of years ago, it is a priority line only now.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It's been a struggle for me to call in within 24 hours of the flight to get upgraded to first when I haven't automatically cleared, and there are seats available. I've had major resistance the last two flights when I haven't gotten upgraded to first.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:34 pm

As GS, can I use my RPUs to upgrade (at time of purchase) someone who is not on the same itinerary as me if PN is available (but not R)?

I am sorry, if this has been addressed in this thread already. My search did not find it.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You can with PN or RN. Lately sometimes RN is available but not PN.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
You can with PN or RN. Lately sometimes RN is available but not PN.
Thanks RTWSTARALLIANCE!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
It's been a struggle for me to call in within 24 hours of the flight to get upgraded to first when I haven't automatically cleared, and there are seats available. I've had major resistance the last two flights when I haven't gotten upgraded to first.
Is that a stated benefit?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
haven't seen it anywhere but i was actually alerted to this benefit by GS agents who instructed me to call in within 24 hours when upgrades were applied a few days out but naturally didn't clear immediately.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
No but if you get a true GS agent on the line they will do it without a problem. Even when if call to apply an RPU within 24 hours they can confirm your upgrade without any instruments.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
As GS, can I use my RPUs to upgrade (at time of purchase) someone who is not on the same itinerary as me if PN is available (but not R)?

I am sorry, if this has been addressed in this thread already. My search did not find it.
Yes... I do this for my better half all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.